What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yes or no on this hempy bucket setup ?

Riviera123

Just wondering what everyone thinks of this 1 gallon milk jug with solo cup on top . This idea was from mchenry in 2008. I dont think it went viral back then. But would it work with solo cup bogged down on top or would it be better to just Transplant deeper into coco and ditch the solo.:tiphat:

Attachments

• CB0D8A63-B301-4B25-836D-FE18E197FBFB.jpeg
    CB0D8A63-B301-4B25-836D-FE18E197FBFB.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 21

Riviera123

I like the handle idea and it would stay nice and steady with stable bottom. So share your thoughts please

Riviera123

My seedlings are already in solo cup with coco so i was thinking of just cutting the bottom off solo and sink her in.

Riviera123

So i guess one thing i like is the height . I feel this is the perfect size too. I really wanna say its the cats ass

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Really i was always afraid to even touch the roots when transplanting but what do i know

It will loosen the rootball forming in the bottom of the cup, and help the plant set new roots into the new media faster.
Be gentle but if you break a few small roots, it's not a problem.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i would ditch the solo cups and transplant into your jugs although i'd maybe also suggest you go with 3liter gingerale bottle hempys, the green plastic makes any light shining into the rootzone invisible to the roots.

...heres a couple of my first hempies from back in the day.

picture.php

peace, bozo

Riviera123

Yes I’m sort of leaning towards the idea of planting directly into jug and digging the solo too. I think it will give more oxygen to roots with larger hole at top as well :)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
So i guess one thing i like is the height . I feel this is the perfect size too. I really wanna say its the cats ass

Overall, I like your set-up. But for me, the height is a disadvantage because I'm always fighting for headroom. For me, having that solo cup riding up so high on that jug is a waste of space, because if you just had a bucket of the same height, you wouldn't have to bottleneck your roots through the cup, but with the same footprint.

Still, your design has some advantages, and shows you're thinking outside the box. So thanks for sharing it, I'm sure it will spark some other cool ideas.

Riviera123

Hi always nice to be able to help if i can So here is what i did i taped the milk jugs with black gorilla duct tape . I even taped the entire bottom on a couple of them. Its not a bad idea to tape bottom i think to help protect having tiny leaks my hempy bucket milk jug has a 7/16 size hole 2 inches from the bottom. In the resivor or the bottom of the jug to about 1 inch above hole i grow stones kinda like perlite but more expensive. Then with 100% coco to the top