What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about breeding outcome?

greenspiritz

Hi everyone :tiphat:

I have a breeding question and hopefully someone can help me please.

I'd like to know what this outcome would be?

I have a Dinafem Critical 2.0 mother that's about 2 year old, i'd like to take 4 cuttings from her and place them on their own and reverse one of the cuttings using Colloidal Silver to pollinate the remaining 3 other females that haven't been treating with CS to create female seeds, would there be any problems doing this, would they all grow the same. This would be F1 seeds am i correct? What problems could i find if so?

Thanks for looking

Green :biggrin:

NEED 4 SEED

These are S1. F1 would mean you would cross it with its sister or brother. Reversing doesn't work with every plant and I believe STS reversal is more reliable than colloidal silver. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! There are a few tutorials here for STS reversal. It's mostly still trial and error. Good luck!

jonesb

whenever i have reversed a cut and made seeds with the same strain the resulting seedlings/plants have not turned out well, they are sorry imitations of the parent.

reversing a cut from a mother that came from a feminized seed, has not worked, or given unwanted results like severe hermies and odd mutations

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
whenever i have reversed a cut and made seeds with the same strain the resulting seedlings/plants have not turned out well, they are sorry imitations of the parent.

reversing a cut from a mother that came from a feminized seed, has not worked, or given unwanted results like severe hermies and odd mutations
Interesting observation considering many are doing it with success.

Koondense

Veteran
All depends on the plants(parents) used.
Fem seeds usually have less genetic variation which can translate into higher inbreeding when selfing a line, especially if the starting parents are already inbred.
Never made a fem seed but when I'll do it, I'll be using multiple parents from the same generation, not just two parent plants for each pollination.

Cheers

jonesb

should have been more clear, problems occur when reversing a clone and breeding to a clone from same mother.

I have done this trying to save clone-only genetics with little luck

but the same pollen worked well on other strains

greenspiritz

Thanks for all your input and advice, i shall look further into this in the future. The plant is (Dinafem - Critical 2.0) for reference :)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
should have been more clear, problems occur when reversing a clone and breeding to a clone from same mother.
As was previously stated, it completely depends on the genetics. It sounds like the (one time?) you made S1's, you used genetics which are very poor. This seems to be very common when femmed plants are femmed, then femmed again.

Was your specific mum possibly from feminized seeds? If so, you could have already been working with the 3rd or 4th generation of feminized genetics. Meh, it happens. :)

Try again with another mum, and you'll most likely be surprised. Remember also, it's extremely important to stress test any potential breeding plant for all kinds of herm issues. :D

greenspiritz, I recommend reversing one cut. Collect, dry and store the pollen. Then flower the other cuts and pollinate at the optimal, fat and prolific pistils, point of flowering. At least 5 weeks before harvest. :) A whole lot easier to time it when you have ready access to pollen in your freezer. (I believe the link in my sig has the instructions)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Often breeders forego stress testing genetics to speed up
seed release.

The quality of the journey often determines the end result.

The joke about the young bull saying lets run up that hill and fuck
one of those cows, whereas the older bull say lets walk up that hill and
then fuck them all, comes to mind.

Rushing a breeding project seldom yields great results.

dddaver

Veteran
Not sure what STS reversal means. But years ago I read that stressing a female to become hermi then using that pollen to fertilize females was one way to make feminized seeds. Never did it, but I always imagined that using that method also introduced that "hermi" gene into the resulting seeds genetic character.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Not sure what STS reversal means.
It's not what you think it is. STS reversal does not stress the plant (when used properly) and has zero affect on hermi traits. If they're in the parents, those traits will be passed on. If they're not, they will not. (Great reason to thoroughly stress test all breeding plants)

STS reversal is a process for introducing silver into a cannabis plant. When silver is present in sufficient quantity, the plant is unable to produce ethylene. When ethylene is not produced, female flowers will form as male and the resulting pollen is feminized.