What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Majority Of Commercially Available CBD Products "Contaminated" With Heavy Metals

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Majority Of Commercially Available CBD Products "Contaminated" With Heavy Metals

https://norml.org/news/2019/05/23/r...e-cbd-products-contaminated-with-heavy-metals

Report: Majority Of Commercially Available CBD Products "Contaminated" With Heavy Metals

Thursday, 23 May 2019
Washington, DC: CBD-infused products commercially available in retail stores and online often contain heavy metals, such as lead and arsenic, and typically contain less-than-advertised quantities of cannabidiol, according to a network news investigation of third-party testing results.
Investigators reviewed results for over 240 CBD-infused products. Their analysis determined that "70 percent" of the products were found to be "highly contaminated with heavy metals like lead and arsenic, herbicides like glyphosate and a host of other contaminants including pesticides."
In addition, "more than half" of the products tested contained percentages of CBD that were inconsistent with the product's labeling. Some products tested negative for any trace of CBD.
The results are consistent with those of previous reports – such as those here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here – which similarly determined that many commercially available CBD-infused products are of variable potency and may contain potentially harmful adulterants and heavy metals.
Earlier this month, NORML submitted written testimony to the US Food and Drug Administration recommending that the FDA provide regulatory guidelines governing product manufacturing, standardization, and quality.
For more information, please see the NORML fact-sheet 'FAQs About Cannabidiol.'

picture.php

G

GatorGumbo

Very interesting and important to know, thanks for posting this. One issue I have is NORML asking the government to step in being like your girlfriend asking your mom to move in because you won't keep the bedroom clean. It's a bad idea. It's always a bad idea. Vote with your money and this problem will go away on its own.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Cannabis (and hemp) are bio accumulators and suck heavy metals out of the ground and then into the plant's structure. They actually used hemp to clean up radioactive contamination at the Chernobyl reactor site back in the day. If there are any heavy metals etc. in the soil, the hemp will get it.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Probably from supplement/additive. If grown organic, it wouldn't be such a problem.

My customers are happy that our CBD capsules we make are from organically grown soil, water not contaminated.

Rico Swazi

Organic growers have the same problem sourcing amendments free of heavy metals. A sure 'Buyer beware' kind of thing for everything we consume from the ground up.

Way back in 2002 and again in 2016, I was a foot soldier gathering signatures for ttp://oregonrighttoknow.org/ . We were out spent 8 times over by monsanto and other big buisness, Fast forward to 2016 when Vermont and connecticut had passed state gmo labeling laws, the fucks in our gov't passed the dark act negating those and any other labeling laws. search dark act and see what I mean.

Contaminated products are the norm these days due to the laws that protect big business and not the consumer.
wont be the last time the news reports a problem with cannabis more specificly CBD

GW Pharma set the bar @.2 thc ... and I bet they push for that to be the standard of purification barring most companies from being able to produce it.

The game is on and its a money game

PDX Dopesmoker

https://norml.org/news/2019/05/23/r...e-cbd-products-contaminated-with-heavy-metals

Report: Majority Of Commercially Available CBD Products "Contaminated" With Heavy Metals

Thursday, 23 May 2019
Washington, DC: CBD-infused products commercially available in retail stores and online often contain heavy metals, such as lead and arsenic, and typically contain less-than-advertised quantities of cannabidiol, according to a network news investigation of third-party testing results.
Investigators reviewed results for over 240 CBD-infused products. Their analysis determined that "70 percent" of the products were found to be "highly contaminated with heavy metals like lead and arsenic, herbicides like glyphosate and a host of other contaminants including pesticides."
In addition, "more than half" of the products tested contained percentages of CBD that were inconsistent with the product's labeling. Some products tested negative for any trace of CBD.
The results are consistent with those of previous reports – such as those here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here – which similarly determined that many commercially available CBD-infused products are of variable potency and may contain potentially harmful adulterants and heavy metals.
Earlier this month, NORML submitted written testimony to the US Food and Drug Administration recommending that the FDA provide regulatory guidelines governing product manufacturing, standardization, and quality.
For more information, please see the NORML fact-sheet 'FAQs About Cannabidiol.'

View Image

Stop pushing that yellow journalism hysteria bullshit, Chicken Little, none of that information is from anything near a reliable source. Elvis was spotted at a Dairy Queen in Texarkana, go check it out. Elvis is more important than CBD

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stop pushing that yellow journalism hysteria bullshit, Chicken Little, none of that information is from anything near a reliable source. Elvis was spotted at a Dairy Queen in Texarkana, go check it out. Elvis is more important than CBD

Yeah, I saw Elvis at a Stuckey's last week eating a pecan roll.

Meanwhile, MORE reports of contaminated CBD products...it's not a ruse.

https://merryjane.com/news/report-s...-contaminated-with-heavy-metals-or-pesticides

https://wjla.com/features/7-on-your...-false-labeling-in-the-exploding-cbd-industry

BongFu

Seems to me that all they need to do is regulate in such a way where all oils are fractionally distilled to ensure the cleanest end product possible.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
add this to the list of contaminated vape products made in china frankly I'll stick with my buds :)

PDX Dopesmoker

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
"They have to test for the THC content because there's a federal law," said Callan, "but there's no rule that says you have to actually test your CBD content."More than half the products tested had labels that inaccurately reflected the concentration of CBD in the product.
"There were several that claimed to have CBD on the label where we found no CBD whatsoever," said Callan, "all the way up to, on the other end of the spectrum, there are products that have five, six times as much CBD in them as they say they do."
facepalm.gif

The researchers ran the CBD e-liquids through Direct Analysis in Real Time Mass Spectrometry (DART-MS) and Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) to analyze the contents. In addition to CBD in all nine samples, they detected the synthetic cannabinoid 5-fluoro MDMB-PINACA (5F-ADB) in four e-liquids and dextromethorphan (DXM) in one.
5F-ADB is an ingredient in K2/Spice/those other shitty synthetic cannabinoids and DXM is the shit in cough syrup/purple drank that makes you hallucinate. It blows my mind anybody is willing to trust another person with their health like that. Oh, you are some 3rd party middleman who has no skin in the game who wants to buy something cheap overseas then add death to it and sell it to people so they can smoke it? No problem, come join the club with the rest of them! What's the worst that could happen? People die? Who cares, you made money! I had a shitty morning. Does it show?