What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

[Landrace] Malawi, Durban (CBG), Ethiopian and Honduras

ikinokori

Nice. I need to grow that sometime. But that's an indoor plant here.

She seems indeed very well suited to indoors.Though I have never grown outdoors so i wouldn't know what it really takes for a strain to be suited for outdoors ? Pest /Environmental resistance ? Mine really seem to crave for stability, though it seems since a few weeks they have really toughened up. I would love to grow outdoors, i can try to emulate all i want climates from different regions, there is nothing like being in the wild with the sun...

ikinokori

Honduras :

I think i have corrected, or at least slow down very importantly the underfeeding. They look ok, but i do hope i won't have premature senescence as a result of their underfeeding. They are huge and take a lot of space considering they are only in 1 gallon pots, i think they are at least one meter and the stretch doesnt even seem to be over. Very beautiful plants and vigorous, as always nothing stops them. I think they are starting to calm down on their stretch, even though they still grow everyday. They need to be watered almoat everyday now and they clearly need to be uppoted but i'd rather wait for them to stop their stretch

The biggest one is now the female. Very big and beautiful.

Honduras #1 (male)

picture.php

Honduras #2 (male)
picture.php

Honduras #3 (female)

picture.php

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Wow. Nice plants. Well done.

I have a few mature males in pots and some girls in holes. I'll try to get pictures this weekend.

ikinokori

Also, i have started monitoring EC and it is very useful. I have gathered a little bit of informations.

The durban seems to burn starting 1.3 ec, they seem ok at 1.1.

The honduras seems ok around 1.3, i will try 1.6 next on the males.

The malawi seems to be able to handle 1.6 as long as there is not too much N. I will have to confirm that, i will see tonight and edit this message if it was too much.

The ethiopian, i cannot read them. I have given them around 1.0, but wether i feed them 0.5, or 1.1 they always keep the same shape with the droop and claws and no burn, which makes it difficult to know what is happening. They have been constantly fed around 0.5 and 1.0 until very recently where it was 1.1.

ikinokori

sorry i did not understand you were talking about them again I am even more curious now, i could see how they look and behave compared to mine. That would be very interesting to know. one of my males is mature also so then i could make a direct comparison. Do they stretch a lot also ?

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The males in 1 gallon pots are fully matured and are about 100cm. The females are in the ground in a gorilla spot.

Here are a couple with the long ass central leaves before they went out.
picture.php

ikinokori

The males in 1 gallon pots are fully matured and are about 100cm. The females are in the ground in a gorilla spot.

Here are a couple with the long ass central leaves before they went out.
View Image

wow, they actually look very different from mine and a little bit like my malawi when they were young... If it is a landrace from there , then maybe it is a different local strain than my honduras, i know there are several colombian, several thai and several zamal so that may be a similar situation here. very curious on how they will turn out. Do you plan on logging their grow ?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yes i do.

I'm not surprised that much. These are not from the mainland. I found them on Roatan island. They sais it also grows on Utila, but they said it's the same, but different. Lol. I'll check on that one next time. I have a Canadian expat buddy who lives there looking for it. There's also a mention of a dwarf on the island. Now that would be a fucking nice scoop.

Locals call it Trash and say it's the only weed that will grow there. They love their import but it wont grow there. So they only plant this so they have something to smoke when the "good stuff" isn't available.

Phylos says Honduran is related to Nicaraguan, but i suspect that's an error. With Guatemala next door, I'd expect that instead. As for the Trash, if import won't grow there, and the mainland so far away, i doubt it's been cross pollinated with anything. But who knows. I might send a bud to phylos and see.

ikinokori

Yes i do.

I'm not surprised that much. These are not from the mainland. I found them on Roatan island. They sais it also grows on Utila, but they said it's the same, but different. Lol. I'll check on that one next time. I have a Canadian expat buddy who lives there looking for it. There's also a mention of a dwarf on the island. Now that would be a fucking nice scoop.

Locals call it Trash and say it's the only weed that will grow there. They love their import but it wont grow there. So they only plant this so they have something to smoke when the "good stuff" isn't available.

Phylos says Honduran is related to Nicaraguan, but i suspect that's an error. With Guatemala next door, I'd expect that instead. As for the Trash, if import won't grow there, and the mainland so far away, i doubt it's been cross pollinated with anything. But who knows. I might send a bud to phylos and see.

interesting name. if i understand correctly, landrace is a term for a variety that was acclimated to a certain latitude and grows naturally there, so that definitely fit the description, specially if nothing else grows there. do not hesitate to keep us updated with the results, and when you will do your log don't hesitate to put a link here

ikinokori

Little update :

i have cut all the males and made oil of all of them. Only the ethiopian was tried, and it was a very uplifting, happy and peaceful high. This was reported to me, i did not try it and his description felt vrry similar to ace one's. Very in the head, no body stone, and very happy high. I will make an early "report" on each strain when all the oils will be tried.

On the plants themselves, I am now facing the real issues of sativa. They stretch, like, a whole lot. All of them, except malawi, which is still tall, but mostly big all around and doesnt seem to stretch anymore.

The ethiopian are now showing their true selves and one is now even taller than the malawi. They still have that weird claw nitrogen toxicity like but i dont know... they seem to be growing fine with no tip burning. I decided to almost not feed her until i see yellow leaves.

The Durban has become a giant scary beauty and she doesnt seems to want to stop stretching. Her leaves are so thin and blade like, more than all of them. Very beautiful. She is also the most advanced flowering wise, with a lot of new pistils everyday.

and finally the Honduras is just... completely incontrollable. It got to a point decided to start "pinching" it and almost break in half the apex to the point it was bent, in an attempt to reduce the stretch. Next day, it was straight as an arrow and the plant grew even more than the day before. unstoppable.

Not uppoting them yet was definitely a good idea even if some looks rootbound, because i don't know how tall they would have been. i am glad i have 7 feet of avalaible height for my plants, because wow i have never seen that. i definitely see the Honduras getting close to my maximum height available, which absolutely never happened before even in 5 gallon pots. and she is in a 1 gallon pot...

on a more positive note, buds are forming on all of them. so pretty ^^

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Without a lot of light they'll grow weak steams.

Pots no larger than 6 inches will control the overall height better than any other method.

ikinokori

Without a lot of light they'll grow weak steams.

Pots no larger than 6 inches will control the overall height better than any other method.

thank for the tip. That makes a lot of sense. i definitely see what you say, as no matter what i do on the honduras, she doesnt care and keeps growing, all over by the way, she is also taking more and more horizontal space, the pot where she is in is so small you can't even see it from the top

My stems as of right now seems pretty strong, but i will keep feeding them silica to make it stronger.The maim worry i have now is that their pot is so small and they take so much soace, i am scared too much wind may make them fall, because the center of gravity is not good. The honduras is also pretty wide, and it looks a little bit like the base is a pin that can be reversed with a whiff...

troutman

Seed Whore
I've grown many Landraces including Kerala, Highland Thai, Colombian Gold, 2 types of pure Malawi Gold
and know that smaller pots are the way to go unless you want out of control trees. Vegetating no longer
than 2 or 3 weeks also helps a lot. I use no more than 14 hours for that part of their life.

Go organic if you can and feed lightly. :tiphat:

Note: If you want to transplant. Wait until 5 weeks after sexing in smaller pots or they'll keep stretching.

ikinokori

I've grown many Landraces including Kerala, Highland Thai, Colombian Gold, 2 types of pure Malawi Gold
and know that smaller pots are the way to go unless you want out of control trees. Vegetating no longer
than 2 or 3 weeks also helps a lot. I use no more than 14 hours for that part of their life.

Go organic if you can and feed lightly. :tiphat:

Note: If you want to transplant. Wait until 5 weeks after sexing in smaller pots or they'll keep stretching.

Thank you very much. I will definitely not uppot them then until then. Very thankful for your info and for someone else who also advised to me similar things, it would probably have been a disaster.

I feed organic exclusively, but was falling again on the lets give more and more, so thanks for the reminder. The less is more approach is definitely what seems to work best right now

ikinokori

pics of them :

Two ethiopians on the left, malawi in the middle, Durban on the bottom right and Honduras on the top right

picture.php

The white spots are not powdery mildew or anything, they are from the Serenade product i used on them. They were lush green, i sprayed them during the lights off and 10 minutes later they had tons of those white marks. At first i thought it looked a lot like Calcium deposits like in your shower after a hot bath, but after checking the product it is listed that white desposits after spraying is a non harmful side effect in the manual of the serenade that is sold in my country (still nanufactured by bayer, still bacillus subtilis but sold from another "name") and it is supposed to go away after one week. I know we have very strict organic rules so maybe something has been changed in the formula that is sold here as it doesnt seem to happen with the american "serenade" version.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^ I sometimes use Plant Success Great White.

It has a bunch of living organisms in it including Bacillus subtilis found in Serenade. :)

Use distilled water to wash off built up salt deposits.

Latest posts

Latest posts