What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have an (NPK) question.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
My question is how much NPK does rain water have? More so how much P AND K does rain have?

I spent the last 30 minuts on google researching for anything related to my question but found nothing that gave me a scientific answer.

Question 2 is does rain water contain enough phosphorus to help with the flower growth or should i be also mixing in bloom food with the rain water i give my blooming mj indoor plants? Also she us more than half way through the flowering cycle.

djibra

• For example,
- in the nitrate analysis the content is expressed as mg / L of NO3- as N,
- which means that the nitrate content is expressed as nitrogen content,
- a concentration of 10 mg NO3 - N / L (expressed as N) is equivalent to 44 mg NO3- (expressed as NO3-). , a concentration of 10 mg NO3 - N / L (expressed as N) is equivalent to 44 mg NO3- (expressed as NO3-)
- the factor of 4,4 is the ratio of the relative molecular mass of the nitrate ions (= 64) and the relative molecular mass of the nitrogen element (= 14).
- PO43-, often expressed as P (PO43- -?), And also for SiO2 which can be expressed as Si

translated from a study in croatia.. i can send you a full pdf if you think it could help

troutman

Seed Whore
Think about it. Rain doesn't have enough nutrients to grow plants.

If it did why would fertilizers exist?

Mate. Rain water has negligible nutrients. Effectively none. Water evaporates-leaving all dissolved solutes behind- transpires-condenses and then forms precipitate= rain. When people do this in a lab, it’s called distilled water.

Mate. Rain water has negligible nutrients. Effectively none. Water evaporates-leaving all dissolved solutes behind- transpires-condenses and then forms precipitate= rain. When people do this in a lab, it’s called distilled water.

To be fair, thunderstorm storm water does have a fair amount of Nitrogen; lightning will fix atmospheric nitrogen.

BongFu

Rainwater has about zero nutrients in it. Pay about 30 bucks for a water analysis and you will easily confirm this.

Seriously? Do you have a link with some info about it?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.biology-pages.info/N/NitrogenCycle.html

"Atmospheric Fixation
The enormous energy of lightning breaks nitrogen molecules and enables their atoms to combine with oxygen in the air forming nitrogen oxides. These dissolve in rain, forming nitrates, that are carried to the earth.

Atmospheric nitrogen fixation probably contributes some 5– 8% of the total nitrogen fixed."

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My question is how much NPK does rain water have? More so how much P AND K does rain have?

I spent the last 30 minuts on google researching for anything related to my question but found nothing that gave me a scientific answer.

Question 2 is does rain water contain enough phosphorus to help with the flower growth or should i be also mixing in bloom food with the rain water i give my blooming mj indoor plants? Also she us more than half way through the flowering cycle.

Nooooo. You don't have chlorine, fluoride (from city water), but depending on where you are located, you might have more toxins from rain water (pollution).

Add NPK to rain water....viola`!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this a response to my comment about lightning fixing atmospheric nitrogen to rainwater? Are you saying that atmospheric nitrogen fixed my nitrogen is inert?

No, I'm saying whatever falls from the sky, nitrogen is basically inert.

Nitrogen gas is a very stable two-atom molecule that doesn't easily interact with other atoms or molecules. For example, although three-quarters of every breath you take consists of nitrogen, none of that is metabolized by your body. The same is true of nearly all plants -- they can't take nitrogen directly from the atmosphere. In fact, legumes that can take nitrogen from the atmosphere don't do it directly, but through a symbiotic relationship with "nitrogen-fixing" bacteria in their roots. The bacteria "breathe" in nitrogen and convert it to compounds that the roots can absorb.
https://sciencing.com/rainwater-contain-nitrogen-8461.html

No, I'm saying whatever falls from the sky, nitrogen is basically inert.

Nitrogen gas is a very stable two-atom molecule that doesn't easily interact with other atoms or molecules. For example, although three-quarters of every breath you take consists of nitrogen, none of that is metabolized by your body. The same is true of nearly all plants -- they can't take nitrogen directly from the atmosphere. In fact, legumes that can take nitrogen from the atmosphere don't do it directly, but through a symbiotic relationship with "nitrogen-fixing" bacteria in their roots. The bacteria "breathe" in nitrogen and convert it to compounds that the roots can absorb.
https://sciencing.com/rainwater-contain-nitrogen-8461.html

Yes, yes. Everything you said is true. N2 is extremely stable, that's why only the immense energy from lightning will break those bonds.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
In New England, some farmers plow after snow to put nitrogen in the soil and referring to snow as "poor mans fertilizer". I think hail is nitrogen rich as well.