What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you favorite trimming shears?

St. Phatty

I use a Wiss aviation shears (like for cutting sheet metal) to cut the smaller stems.

I use a box cutter blade to do smaller trimming. So far I've dissected 2 moldy buds, and I must say, I really like the parts of that bud that are not moldy ! It's well cured and becoming a favorite smoke.

Those are now labelled my "near mold" buds.

I keep all that stuff in the freezer, except for what I'm smoking. I sort of treat the mold part as a "bio hazard". Only take as much non-moldy nuggets as I need to fill the bowl, and quickly toss all the moldy parts in the animal food bucket.

For doing the George Washington cutting down the cherry tree part of the operations,

I use a big or small lopper.

I also find it helps to go in and have a look around before the actual cut. Mark the stems with a magic marker where I might cut, cut away any tiny stems with popcorn buds that might make it hard to see.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
yHrjZ2x.jpg

JStwTwz.jpg

K1h7uUo.jpg

Tz05Ygi.jpg

Weaboo

anyone tried the bonsai hero testarossa?
im so god damn tired of hand trimming.

i just buy Ikebana scissors, they cost 13 dollars.

picture.php

CrushnYuba

Fiskars for spring loaded.
Chickamasa? For regular.
Trimmers like to alternate between the 2. Prevents pain from repetition.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
anyone tried the bonsai hero testarossa?
im so god damn tired of hand trimming.

i just buy Ikebana scissors, they cost 13 dollars.

View Image

Stop wasting your time and get a bowl trimmer. You'll love it. If I want to take a picture, I'll clean it up with Fiskars, then grind the flower up and smoke it.

The wife is the only person I know who trims her weed by hand. Crazy. Mind you she'll spend an hour doing her eyebrows. So... I figure it's a little OCD thing.

I use these
8-inch-Professional-Sewing-Scissors-For-Clothing.png_350x350.png

Get this
picture.php

Then it gets debucked into this and trimmed
61HQTPaMmWL._SX425_.jpg

and finally dumped here to dry. This is 2-3 hours work.
picture.php

Machine trimmed.
picture.php

It could have stayed in the trimmer a little longer but the little leaves will shrink into the bud when it dries. Good enough, and never had one complaint.

Like most people, I hate trimming, so I'm going to spend the least amount of time possible doing it.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Thanks for sharing that Tycho, is there a particular brand of bowl trimmer you would recommend? I looked them up and there a few different ones. One of those could really save me some time if they work well. That bud looks a lot like the Northern lights I've been growing the past few seasons.

CrushnYuba

Thanks for sharing that Tycho, is there a particular brand of bowl trimmer you would recommend? I looked them up and there a few different ones. One of those could really save me some time if they work well. That bud looks a lot like the Northern lights I've been growing the past few seasons.

None of them work well. They are all rebranded Chinese garage. So take your pick of brand names. Maybe they work for spinning up a salad real quick, but not for trimming your weed.
If you can't afford a machine like the triminator, make one. Have you ever seen a "trim bag"? It's a 300 laundry bag you shake your weed in to crack the outer leaf off. Back before the triminator and trim pal, we used to do the "tote roll".

You just put some bucked down weed in a tote and gently shake it in a rolling motion. To tumble the leaf off

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

I only paid 200 Canadian pesos for it.
iPower GLTRIMBOWL16M 16-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLTRIMBOWL16M-16-Inch-Trimmer-Upgraded/dp/B007GGQYXS

picture.php

Crushn is wrong. They work very well. I also made a dry trimmer. It works well also, but I don't like having to dry my weed all to shit for it to work well. It's ok, until you have to cure. It's so dry the cure is too fast and makes weed harsher than I like it. But most people don't mind.

picture.php

GGNo2

Whatever scissors I find 1st lol, I hate trimming and can't see it being improved by what scissors I use.

CrushnYuba

I got a couple of them salad spinners and i think they are trash. I also think wet trimming in General is yucky. It makes it taste funny and drying single buds on racks is hard to not get flat spots.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
The past few years I've just been letting them dry a little and then trim. Too much work trying to knock out a few pounds in a night by yourself. The problem is the mold spreads and they take a lot longer to dry though. Trimming right after harvest does leave a bit of a grassy/chlorophyll taste and smell to the buds though. I found if you hang them for a few days first before trim you get a little bit of both worlds. Still fairly easy to work with but without as much green plant blood all over the place lol.

M

mrghost

Ars (dry trimming)

attachment.php

I've been using the same pair for ~2 years now. Clean with some isopropanol/alcohol before and during use, wipe down with some vegetable oil after using.

This one is priced similar to the Chikamasa.

Okatsune (cloning, defoliation...)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very sharp and high quality shears (expensive compared to others but well worth it).

Ars and Okatsune both are japanese companies. You really want japanese tools when it comes to knives and shears.

Attachments

• pg08_000035.jpg
    pg08_000035.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Okatsune 301_1393_500x600.jpg
    Okatsune 301_1393_500x600.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 24
  • OK306_1.jpg
    OK306_1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I got a couple of them salad spinners and i think they are trash. I also think wet trimming in General is yucky. It makes it taste funny and drying single buds on racks is hard to not get flat spots.

Agreed on the dry trim flavor though. If I was doing it for my mom, it would be dry and by hand. But she's not around anymore so.... spinner is good enough for me and clients.

M

mrghost

Inspect your product under the microscope to understand why you want to dry trim and do it by hand very carefully with sharp and precise tools.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Ars (dry trimming)

View Image

I've been using the same pair for ~2 years now. Clean with some isopropanol/alcohol before and during use, wipe down with some vegetable oil after using.

Very sharp and high quality shears (expensive compared to others but well worth it).

Ars and Okatsune both are japanese companies. You really want japanese tools when it comes to knives and shears.

I like these 40mm scissors too. It works best to have several pairs for each cutter and rotate them through a cup filled with ISO. The last ones I bought had the hinges loosen up pretty quick making them useless. They were cheep, so it's a case of getting what you paid for.

81Pj8DIPpQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg