What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ultrasonic washing machine hash?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Has anyone used these yet?
https://www.amazon.com/GEMITTO-Ultr...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07L3MDDVX

You can probably forget the ultrasonic talk. It uses a mechanical turning action for a few mins, then one min of ultrasonic. It's the submersible beating action I'm interested in. Well.. I say beating.. It's usb powered, which is another way of saying crap. But I'm hopeful somebody has tried one.

I want to have a go at water hash, but I'm not happy with the way it's done. It's the constant use of more cold water and ice, on frozen material. It just seems wrong, and time consuming.

As I see it, the moment the frozen green goes in the water, it's not frozen. It's very cold water, very cold green, and the ice is an agitator.

I could take one of them $50 portable washing machines, and put it in a fridge. Keeping the water just around freezing point. Then use another agitator, not ice. Using the fridge to chill the water directly, not to freeze ice to put in the water. Which just seems like walking to the kitchen by going out the front door, round the house, and back in through the back door.

Now obviously everybody is doing this, so I'm nobodies favourite saying something different. But please, keep an open mind.

The other thing I see, is the water being chucked out. Lets say we used the washing machine. We could be constantly pulling water from the bottom, putting it through a catchment sock (bubble bags) and sending the water back in. A recirculating system, where anything coming off the green is rapidly taken out of solution. As time in solution takes flavour away, and why chuck away cold water and make more?

Hopefully you can see my goals, and can now read on as I change all the equipment used.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5-Cubic-Fo...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07K38WJF4

That is a big chilled bucket.
Forget that for a moment.. If we think of the usual bubble bag setup, it's a sieve in a container. I wish to still use a bag and container, but one with no bottom. I want to put the bag and bottomless bucket in the freezer full of water (we can switch it off if it actually starts to ice over). The green, and these ultrasonic agitators can live in the bag. The product fall from the bag, to the bottom of the freezer, where a pump is constantly picking up and filtering through a bag set placed on a table beside the freezer. One where the water is piped back under gravity.

It may seem like I used a big volume of water, by filling an entire freezer to just put a bucket in the top. The large volume of water is a buffer for the temperature though. You could load the bag with green from the tree, and it would be near freezing almost instantly. That much water just couldn't be lifted a degree in temperature with a single load of green. The cooling capacity of the fridge motor and this big buffer of water should beat bags of ice.

So that's where I'm at. Trying to eliminate ice and freezing the green. The standing of product in water, and having to stir it myself.

The freezer will have quite a weight in it. There will have to be a pond liner or something added. Just incase the freezers lining splits. There is electric down there...

Thoughts?

popta

Have you ever made bubble hash the normal way? Getting the resin off the plant is the easy part. It's separating the resulting stew by particle size that's hard. The filter at the bottom of the bag is blocked almost immediately by the stuff you're trying to catch with it. It takes crazy amounts of labour jerking each bag up and down to get the water to go through the filters a few drips at a time. We're talking about super fine filters and extremely low flow rates here, a pump would be useless.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dry Ice hash is much much quicker and you don't have to wait for it to dry out before you can consume it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We aren't trying to lower the temperature further as the material would become brittle. All we want are stiff hard trichomes.

I've seen people prechill water in a freezer as you describe.

The first wash water isn't something you want to keep. Seconds and beyond are fine.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Have you ever made bubble hash the normal way? Getting the resin off the plant is the easy part. It's separating the resulting stew by particle size that's hard. The filter at the bottom of the bag is blocked almost immediately by the stuff you're trying to catch with it. It takes crazy amounts of labour jerking each bag up and down to get the water to go through the filters a few drips at a time. We're talking about super fine filters and extremely low flow rates here, a pump would be useless.

Without bags I have.
I know it's standard practice to use the large pore bags with zippers in the washing machine. I don't want to step away from that. You're talking the grading bags though.

So I need to swirl the water round in the freezer, to bring the product to the center in a visually concentrated pile. There I can pump out the product with minimal water, and size my final filter to suit. Which will be quite large it seems.

Yeah?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Dry Ice hash is much much quicker and you don't have to wait for it to dry out before you can consume it.

co2 then dry sift?

I tend to nail forums every few years, giving more than taking, then vanish again. So I don't really get a lot of these terms.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
We aren't trying to lower the temperature further as the material would become brittle. All we want are stiff hard trichomes.

I've seen people prechill water in a freezer as you describe.

The first wash water isn't something you want to keep. Seconds and beyond are fine.

I can't see the figures your working with, to see where I'm straying from your ideals. The trichomes will be water temperature, almost the moment they enter the water. Regardless of the temperature before they go in. They are just too small to resist. So freezing seems pointless, if the water is the right temperature. And there is enough water to not have it's temperature effected by the green.

This just leaves the question of how cold. Cold enough to keep them stiff, but warm enough to stop the plant material being too brittle you say? I don't recall that ever being an issue for us when we did it. We battled to keep it cold as we could. Chilling the green for only that reason.

I'm toying with the idea of doing our old bucket approach, and simply submersing our bucket in the freezer full of water as cooling.

I have until October to get something in place. Lots of build time. But no time to process the green when it comes in. There won't be enough ice available to purchase, but if I can chill the water by other means, what Ice I can get will last a lot longer.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
co2 then dry sift?

I tend to nail forums every few years, giving more than taking, then vanish again. So I don't really get a lot of these terms.

Literally add dry ice to your normal sift bags and shake...

It can't get any simpler.

My brother bought one of those sheer shower curtains and sewed it together into a bag that would fit into a 25-30 gal trash can.
Add trim (2lb), break up dry ice (1/2lb) and add it. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes then add more broken up dry ice, as needed, and shake it and pay attention to the color of the resulting product. You can shake in sessions and this will somewhat grade it from AAA down to whenever you get tired of shaking.

He uses a fine haired paint brush to sweep, anything that's stuck to the trash can walls, to the bottom. Scoop it out however you like and store it.
This method is easily scaled to whatever size you need.
I had another buddy that was doing something similar with a coffee can and some sort of screen he devised.
:tiphat:

I should add that this is for bone dry material. I don't know if green material will work.
I'm not sure what you are working with.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have been growing outdoors for around 20 years. It's really just a hobby, as nobody around here wants anything but the best. I have well developed sites though, and work with cuttings, so still put out more plants than I need. It costs nothing while I'm there anyway. So the situation arises that I have enough smoke, and then kilo's I leave to compost. Which is nice to watch growing, but ultimately disappointing. I want to save some of it.

I have had a day watching video's now. Leading me to the point where this thread can probably slip away. I just don't have the room in my shoe-box, or the time required. Though it seems my system works perfectly well. Being mirrored by many, using cold climates and very little ice.

I have done a few dry sifts. From water filter cups to vibrating sieves, to lego's models of 'the pirate ship' on steroids. My local filter company stocks most mesh in stainless, so even the credit card mashers can't ruin the gauge.

I think I'm looking at quick wash oil extraction of wet material, on site. Scratching my head now over ethanol's carrying capacity, before It's depositing more on the bud, than it's washing off. Questions like, can a solution carrying 10% oil by volume, wash anything from a bud that's 10%. I don't really need any oil though. I have some here I have had about 10 years. I would have to make vape cartridges as a clean way of handing it. I don't vape though.

I'm really quite stuck. Facing another year of composting a good product that people are too snobby to even possess.

I do love the big outdoor grows. I see people getting excited by photo's, so I know I'm not crazy enjoying my time among them. I would hate to get caught though, when it's not helping anybody.

I will probably do a 220 zip bag in a bin, and save some of it that way. Just not a lot. I have alcohol too, so some will get a wash. I may get 5L of iso, in a bucket, and stir with heads. A few teflon baking trays. It's something..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW!
I'd hate to see all that go to waste as well.
I feel your pain!

Bag some of that stuff (wearing gloves) up and drop it on the street corner for some lucky head to find.
Give some to a homeless guy that wants some smoke but can't afford it.
I'm sure it could be given away somehow if you can't use it.

If you live in an entire town of pot snobs I'd like to visit, someday.
The atmosphere must be chill AF.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
As a market example, picture a coffee shop. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is smoking some African. Not in the last decade. I tried once, and was literally told I didn't want it. I had to convince the guy I knew exactly what it was. I think it was just part of his display to be honest. Something he himself wouldn't be able to replace.

Most people are buying the best looking weed they can find. It's que's of punters staring through the glass cabinet, buying things before ever handling them. They expect nothing else.

If I were buying an 1/8th a week, I would want to get the most effective weed I could find. With lots around me, I pick for flavour. But if I could just have a bit, I have to admit I smoke for effect. I would be the typical buyer. Looking for the most crystal covered nuggets I could find.

My city was often thought of as the UK's skunk capital. People were sending it out to everywhere. Even Liverpool, which has the huge docks where everything naughty comes in to the UK, and the distribution networks that could spin out anything. The whole thing has got congested with tuna cans though. Immigrant warehouse's are offering midrange at £100 an oz and in such volume it can't be shifted. Nothing like outdoor is moving in that climate. I have given a few people bags for free, and months later they still have them, or they get turned into edibles. Not even smoked once. Visitors pull out there own rather than smoke it free from the table. It's pure snobbery as they show no interest in even looking at at.

Part of my problem is my indoor. Anyone that gets chance, just wants to smoke that. I have had just two complaints this millennia. It's too dry, and it's too good. My outdoor needs to be an equally good product. Excellent flavourful hash, or kickass vapour carts.

I can't leave it on a corner. Kids would get it (I cut off someone that was giving it their son). The homeless here are mostly scroats. There would be stabbings over a big bag of green. It wouldn't help anybody. It's better off as a soil amendment.