What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats your Favorite, and least favorite coco coir "brand" and WHY

G

I've always used Canna and not had an issue with it, but I would definitely love to have other options, especially given the cost of Canna products is rather high. There are lots of generic 'bricks' sold at the hardware and gardening stores around here that I'd imagine would work just as well, haven't really had the time to test them though.
Yes, they do work just as well brother but you have to re-hydrate and rinse them through thoroughly which adds another 2 steps your day and plenty of water down the drain. Not so bad if you're in the mood and cheaper as $2 makes about 9 litres however if you have a lot of planting to do then canna is very convenient straight from the bag, no need to 'pre-charge' just plant straight into it and water it in with some runoff

-Dots.

And on the perlite, it's not necessary or even recommended in coco. However if you do use it to cut your coco be on top of your watering game, plants need more watering more often. Hand watering gardeners and/or lazy stoners should stick to straight coco.

Fourtay

ICMag Donor
Canna, Plagron, Bcuzz. All great. Also good is Char Coir.

Cann is drier than plagron. Plagron is very wet. Bcuzz is a middle ground. Char Coir is very fluffy and light.

Lyfespan

Yes, they do work just as well brother but you have to re-hydrate and rinse them through thoroughly which adds another 2 steps your day and plenty of water down the drain. Not so bad if you're in the mood and cheaper as $2 makes about 9 litres however if you have a lot of planting to do then canna is very convenient straight from the bag, no need to 'pre-charge' just plant straight into it and water it in with some runoff

-Dots.

And on the perlite, it's not necessary or even recommended in coco. However if you do use it to cut your coco be on top of your watering game, plants need more watering more often. Hand watering gardeners and/or lazy stoners should stick to straight coco.

i found 11 pound blocks for 15 bux :tiphat: 3.5 cubic feet when rehydrated

i rehydrate with all the essential goodies, haven't had issues with fliers using my method. been doing the same thing for 4 years now in a warehouse with hundreds of gals:dance013:

also fuck perlite in coco that stuffs a huge mess and shit for plants:biggrin:

Lyfespan

Canna, Plagron, Bcuzz. All great. Also good is Char Coir.

Cann is drier than plagron. Plagron is very wet. Bcuzz is a middle ground. Char Coir is very fluffy and light.

just used Bcuzz for the first time, it was ok not too much extra crap, ie rocks and stix

eric2028

Veteran
i found 11 pound blocks for 15 bux :tiphat: 3.5 cubic feet when rehydrated

i rehydrate with all the essential goodies, haven't had issues with fliers using my method. been doing the same thing for 4 years now in a warehouse with hundreds of gals:dance013:

also fuck perlite in coco that stuffs a huge mess and shit for plants:biggrin:

I always have issues with gnats. Can you share your goodies for keeping them away?? I use charged Mother Earth bagged coco btw.

eric2028

Veteran
these are all introduced at rehydration, i forgot the star of the show, yucca, this helps really get the water in fast as well as setting the coco up with saponin
Nice. These are your only means of gnat control/ prevention?

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
grandevo, regalia, silica, alcohol(190+), hot water:tiphat:

This is a golden post.

I simply use hypoaspis miles. They are a beneficial mite. 50 bucks every grow sometimes put them in again half way through. The above is definitely an above and beyond fool proof dead before they even had a chance to live type thing hah. I really like the idea of charging with the above tho and especially the yucca addition.

Found all this stuff easy on build a soil btw guys.

Lyfespan

This is a golden post.

I simply use hypoaspis miles. They are a beneficial mite. 50 bucks every grow sometimes put them in again half way through. The above is definitely an above and beyond fool proof dead before they even had a chance to live type thing hah. I really like the idea of charging with the above tho and especially the yucca addition.

the yucca is a special ingredient i dont know why more dont look to it:tiphat:

Lyfespan

This is a golden post.

i posted this in the hopes that people would think proactive, instead of reactive.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah for whatever reason I never considered using it in coco and I am a big organic fan being forced to switch over so I like the idea of it. Definitely will help keep coco evenly moist.

Question though. If I am using it for a drain to waste will it leech out a lot? I don't want to add it to my rez in fear of slime return. Definitely done putting any organics in reservoirs or hydro applications.

Lyfespan

Yeah for whatever reason I never considered using it in coco and I am a big organic fan being forced to switch over so I like the idea of it. Definitely will help keep coco evenly moist.

Question though. If I am using it for a drain to waste will it leech out a lot? I don't want to add it to my rez in fear of slime return. Definitely done putting any organics in reservoirs or hydro applications.

i have only used NPK RAW yucca it dissolves completely, and only thing i get in rez is out of control bubbling :biggrin:

humus and kelp worst things in a rez.

N

nordie

both excellent.
picture.php
picture.php

B00st3d

Coco Loco right out of the bag with nothing added. Just finishing my second run with it after years of using various bagged coco mixed with perlite. I really am digging the results. Not much info out there about coco loco but I can vouch for it. I keep the PH higher than I used to with plain coco and perlite. Right around 6.3-6.4 range

Latest posts

Latest posts