What's new

Do I really need an EC meter to grow in coco?

RollingStoned

Been thinking of going all coco instead of a soil mix and was hoping I would be able to get by with hesi coco nutes and my PH meter, what do ya think?

leentu

Hello Rollingstoned,
Its vital to carefully adjust and monitor your ec/ppm.With the grow Im into right now,I need to maintain a ppm of 600 to 800 ppm,which translates from an ec of 0.9to1.2

G

RollingStoned said:
Been thinking of going all coco instead of a soil mix and was hoping I would be able to get by with hesi coco nutes and my PH meter, what do ya think?

hesi do a nute calculator ,,if u follow it u should be ok ,,buy a metre in the near future ,it will definitely ease things

G

Greyskull

If you were to simply cut the dosages 50% you should be aok without a meter. You'd need to "watch" the plant and see if it wants more or needs less, but you'd be generally ok.

But the meters are the best way to be accurate.

G

as someone who grew in coco without one, I'm gonna say no.......it is so way easier when you know exactly what your ppms are and how much they're eating.

However I did do it with some degree of success. If you can read your plants well and ya got the cojones to try it......don't let it stop you.

G

If you do give it a try, maybe consider going with a well known nute such as floranova which tells you the ppm for each application rate listed on the bottle. I think that is a soild nute you can get by with and not have much of any problems as long as you dont go over about 10 ml per gal which is 1000 ppm. good luck and spring for a blue lab combo after this run.

G

guest5703

Whats an EC meter? .....lol ;) jk but no I have never used one. Main thing is PH then youll grow the best weed in the world

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
caligreen said:
Whats an EC meter? .....lol ;) jk but no I have never used one. Main thing is PH then youll grow the best weed in the world

Definitely. If your PH is right, you're good to go. The plant will show if you're feeding it too much or not enough, and you'll know to increase or decrease the concentration of the nutes next time. Keep the same ratios, you'll be all set.

Depending on how you're running coco you may or may not need a EC meter. If you're running drain to waste, then I'd expect you can go by just PH, but if you're recirculating you'd need an EC meter a lot more.

tngreen

Veteran
definitely not, im on my 5th grow using coco without any meters, even a ph. i use the ph dropper bottle but really only use it if im feeding straight water. this is handwatered and never had a problem producing great buds. not saying meters dont help but you definitely dont need them. KISS

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
bounty29 said:
If you're running drain to waste, then I'd expect you can go by just PH, but if you're recirculating you'd need an EC meter a lot more.
Great point....that's why I don't have a rez (I mix my nutes each feeding) 'cause I cannot monitor EC
A rez can be maintained by pH though....once the baseline pH is established...you can take pH readings to determine if you need more nutes...or water...
If pH rises (assuming the nutes are buffered well...which most seem to be...I've only used GH and PBP)...this generally means the solution is weaker...if it goes down...generally, it means the nutrient is more highly concentrated....

Having said all that...it's much easier to use meters...less margin for human error...I don't use them only because I have not had the money for meters...

If given a choice between an EC meter and a pH meter...I'd get a pH meter

bobblehead

Veteran
I have a ppm meter, but I never use it anymore. I just keep a 4 gal res, using head's modified lucas formula. I monitor ph every few days. Generally the water gets used up within a week, and I make a new res. My plants look the healthiest I've ever seen them.

brodus24

I run drain to waste, not recirc, and I've had zero problems without an EC meter, just using pH. I use Technaflora nutes and basically just run their "recipe for success"

brah

not needed but highly recommended

i just did a whole grow without a ppm/ec meter or pH meter, did it all by memory from mixing the buckets last run w/ the meters..my stuff turned out great only with a little burn early...but i was impressed.

Yes and No

Yes and No

I have one of the expensive digital ppm/ec/tds/ph/karma/whatever readers. It is great. However, I rarely need it. I check every batch of nutes I make, both in the rez and in the flood table. I have no idea why I do this, I don't need it. Seriously, I would be fine without it. If you can read your plants and you make it past a week or two of veg. (veg meaning, 2 real sets of leaves) then you are good to go.

I've read where coco balances Ph to a certain extent.

clowntown

Veteran
I do DTW, and the only times my TDS meter has come in handy was when I wasn't sure the next day which bucket had the plain water w/ molasses and which bucket had the one with nutes.

Tony Danza

bobblehead said:
I have a ppm meter, but I never use it anymore. I just keep a 4 gal res, using head's modified lucas formula. I monitor ph every few days. Generally the water gets used up within a week, and I make a new res. My plants look the healthiest I've ever seen them.

yup, what he said. I was just about to write this exact post.

PharmaCan

Veteran
I use the ppm meter to keep track of things, but I nute my plants according to what the plants want, not what the meter says. Anyway, a lot of times I'm over 2,000ppm so the meter isn't much use in that territory.

PC

clowntown

Veteran
I guess bottom line is that it can be handy to have around from time to time, but isn't necessary at all... but if you can afford it, $20 on eBay will get you an EC meter that gets the job done. :yes:

As an added side-note, electric pH meters aren't really all that useful especially for non-hydro applications, either. I absolutely love the 8oz bottle of GH pH tester liquid (under $20 out the door). I did find digital-output pH meters useful at one time (I've been through a few, even though I stored them properly in proper solution), but none more useful than "calibrating my eyes" to the dropper liquid colors, finding out what shade of what color means what pH. It's much easier and faster and more reliable than a cheap pH pen.

It's like... high-tech results through in low-tech methods... or something... :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts