What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Morocco 2016

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
G `day Giaus

Did you read the post about education in context ?
I said they might not have book learnin , but they are still intelligent people .

Morocco story from PS 1973 .
Paulo has friends in Morocc , went down there with his own seeds and made a garden .
Returned a cpl of months later to find males in his plot . He proceeded to pull out the males . Upset that his partners didn`t tend the garden .
His Morocc friend asked why Paulo wanted to remove the males !?
He told Paulo that male plants are part of the mix for Hash !!
The whole field gets sifted .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

elmer... I have offen wondered if the hash from these far away places was superior as they used both males/females and/or the females were pollinated .. does a pollinated female add something to the final product???...

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
man dutch genetics are seeping into everything... gross

Moroccan genetics have little of interest apart from drought resistance, the new genetics are making better hash and as the markets evolve, without it, they are going to loose.

Most European countries are now getting supplies of increasingly better weed, many people have stopped smoking hash because of the awful quality and shit they cut it with, Morocco had to move forward or be consigned to a footnote in Cannabis history.

Dog Star

Veteran
Thing is what if neighbours of your field still work old way and dont weed out their
males,they made traditional and still polinate all plants around 100 Kilometers their own field,
still you loose a lot of hash yield as your plants get polinated..

wasgedn

we hadnt good hash for many years in my area...since 2016 we got very good hash on the street again from time to time ....

Dog Star

Veteran
They need to go modern,prepare for pre-season clones of great cultivars,even traditional Moroccan strains but in clone form,ladies prepared for sowing,and forbidd to hole country old traditional way to not seed up crop,

then Morocco have great chance to stay World factor in hash production..

uhh.. that will be a joy to smell and smoke.. nonpolinated greasy Moroccan crop.. ;)

Maybe best years of Morro hash just coming to us...

kaochiu

Veteran
Rif farmers never claimed to be pioneers on anything, nor they seem to have a love story with their cannabis, it's just a crop for most farmers, and most farmers would change it straight away for whatever crop gives them a penny more without extra effort.
Trials with other crops to substitute cannabis have been made for the photo, can't remember what other thing were trying instead, but that lasted the click, as soon as the attention was diverted everyone got back to normal, because no legal crop beats cannabis, and in those lands you cannot go ashtray too far from the community.
In 2027 the picture will be very different than 2017. Dunno how different, though, i say it because 10 years ago was totally different and 20 years ago was different than both, and so on.
You're right, Dog Star, about the pollen going wild, but i'm not sure they sell the whole hash production every year, for they store a lot too. Might not be an important issue... yet. They'll come up with something, as we all agree, stupid they're not.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thing is what if neighbours of your field still work old way and dont weed out their
males,they made traditional and still polinate all plants around 100 Kilometers their own field,
still you loose a lot of hash yield as your plants get polinated..

G `day Doggie

You round up the boys -
Gather the AKs -pay the man a visit - convince him that it would be a good idea if he grew your fem seed - you will buy his crop for better than what he will get for his old school . Offer he can`t refuse . No ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

sixixix

How did I miss this? Thanks to everybody who contributes in this thread. It touches on several things I've been thinking about for a while, and good information on the import market is hard to come by when you live far from the source.

GoatCheese

Veteran
They need to go modern,prepare for pre-season clones of great cultivars,even traditional Moroccan strains but in clone form,ladies prepared for sowing,and forbidd to hole country old traditional way to not seed up crop,
Nice idea but would it work well in practice..
Imo, if trad. hash would be grown from clones, the female-library would have to be fairly big so that the authentic characters and quality of actual end product, the hashish, wouldn't drop and/or change too much.
You'd need to keep CBD only, THC/CBD and mostly-THC plants to mimic the traditional kind.
Potency isn't everything. To me, the type of effect is more important than raw potency. Taste of traditional hash comes as combo of many plants and terpene-profile.

Thou the Rif is coming more filled with western hybrids, i've read that the farther you go from Rif, the more they grow the traditional lines. This will also preserve these lines.

Poor farmers prolly can't afford clone-rooms running the whole year, but sure the big clans of Rif prolly could.
I just hope they keep the traditional kinds (Moroc, Paki, Afg) alive and well

-
-
Sorry if this abit off topic, but have anyone of you grown WOS' Ketama?
I have few packs, haven't grown any but i'm curious about the aroma. Some very beautiful plants pictured @ seed finde r.
I've read they are somewhat semi- autoflowering. I don't know if every plant will start semi-blooming in 18/6 after maturing.

World of Seeds Bank - Ketama Xaoen
Ketama

Originally from Northern Morocco, she’s been acclimatised to European latitudes since the 90s and thrives in barren, rocky soil and arid, dry conditions. Requires little water and nutrients to produce large, resinous buds which give off the unmistakable aroma of the best Moroccan hash. An indica from Ketama, where the majority of cannabis used in the production of kiff or hash is grown, she flowers early, producing excellent resin yields. She was chosen from a huge collection of seeds we brought back from Rif. Highly resistant to plagues and pests, this strain is widely used by Moroccans to produce one of the world’s best hashes.

Sex: Regular
Lineage: Chef Chaouen
Genotype: 100% Indica, small and compact
Grow Method: indoor/outdoor
Harvest Time (indoors): between 55 and 70 days
Harvest Time (outdoors): mid October
Yield: 300g indoor / 400-500g outdoor
Taste: Fine hardwood and hash
Aroma: Strong, hash
Effect: Relaxing.
THC: 16.2%
Resistance to Mould: Low
Resistance to Pests: High
Medicinal Value: High

:)

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day GC

Does hash making extend into Algeria ?

re CBD / THC . The fields I saw pix of were all Spanish fem seed . I wouldn`t expect them to be CBD rich . A few hundred acres I saw in the photo .
Destined for bubble hash .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
Moroccan genetics have little of interest apart from drought resistance, the new genetics are making better hash and as the markets evolve, without it, they are going to loose.

Most European countries are now getting supplies of increasingly better weed, many people have stopped smoking hash because of the awful quality and shit they cut it with, Morocco had to move forward or be consigned to a footnote in Cannabis history.
while i agree with most of what you say, i challenge the premise that moroccan genetics are of little interest. if this were the case, you wouldnt have reputable seed companies such as cannabiogen using it in their modern crosses.

perhaps the cannabis culture in amsterdam and the u.s. are truly advanced in our techniques for breeding and are creating some truly powerful varietals, but it is still a shame to hear about heirloom and landrace genetics becoming watered down or lost entirely.

alas, i suppose i must be content, as this is the way of the world, and the best i can do is support the cause for saving heirloom genetics.

GoatCheese

Veteran
G `day GC

re CBD / THC . The fields I saw pix of were all Spanish fem seed . I wouldn`t expect them to be CBD rich . A few hundred acres I saw in the photo .
Destined for bubble hash .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
Don't know about Algeria, sorry.
I have way more excitement and interest for Traditional hashish than i have actual contacts for getting some, heh-heh.:comfort:
-
-
Yea, personally i think THC-only plants ruins the effect of hashish. Imo, it needs CBD-rich plants in the mix. Sure the effect will be strong with THC-only plants, but will it be "nice and kind"?

:)

kaochiu

Veteran
G `day GC

I've never been in Algeria, just met some people from there over the time.
In the areas bordering Morocco in the northwest, (meaning following the Rif), there's some tradition on hash making for they're the same berbers, but on the other hand the lot comes from the south, no go areas where all those motherfuckers GIA's or whatever they call themselves train by getting high on amphetamines or fuck knows what and slaughtering whole villages without wasting a bullet. We can only guess they make some extra cash by growing weed to their pleasure, but seems like they're increasing production year after year.
In short, for hash in Algeria Rif style, Tlemecen area. For mafias and guns and crazy fucks, non of which will ever give a shit about cannabis heirlooms, the South. Oran being a hotspot for trafficking both, that too.

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Just got this as a xmas pressie. It's moroccan made, tangerine hash, (tangerine as from the fruit, not from Tangiers) It does work, it does taste strong good hash, it does get you high. Yet i'm suspicious on how's made.
First, it gets you high, but looks like is gonna get you much higher.
Second, it's so sticky it becames unmanageable, looks like mixed with hash oil. The afghan way as shown in the video, cannot be done with this stuff, hands would end up like wearing hash gloves.
Third, it's available in different parts of Spain and the price is not that bad, like 6€ a gram, which means it's produced at industrial levels.
Fourth, i've been a regular visitor in the Rif from 1984-2010, and never seen anything like this, definitely is a new method with new strains. Seems like lots of things happenned these last years over there.
Fifth, i cannot imagine how that resin can be dry sifted, it'd be stuck to the mesh, suggesting other way of extraction, such ice. Perhaps a new method with solvents?
And more subtle differences. Maybe is just that, low quality hash improved with hashoil.

Beating a lot the bad hash is an old moroccan trick. For the following fifteen minutes after the beat it will look gooey, warm and easy to shape. Then it'll became rock hard. Done in bricks is the (almost) extinct soapbar, and the burnt plastic taste prolly comes from the bag of brown tape that holds the pollen while beaten.
After all, quality is proportionate to how much you beat the plant, and at the end of the day every plant gets beaten as much as it can be.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690101&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Yup, a lot of so-called commercial grade out there, many get cut up with some kind of solvent extracted resin, it doesn't necessarily have to be herb resin, the cheaper to make it look expensive = more profit.
Dry ice is getting more common too, it will make the hash more green, because the ice makes herb very brittle. Gotta grow my own...

Good, clean morrocan can run for about 5 euros here. And it's light, yellow, blonde, golden, white in color, no brown darkness, darkness can mean resin have undergone oxidation before pressing (not pressed straight away, which is not necessarily all that bad) or it can mean it has heat activated by heating up the stamps of the press and pressed even harder than the yellow golden, it can lose flavor this way, maybe even burning it a little, flavor wise. Henna will make it darker too. There is fake hash also, that can be cut up with real herb resin or the fake Spice THC.

The purer stuff usually is taken around Spain so bikers, cartels, mafia and such doesn't get their filthy hands on it.

wasgedn

in ger gladly i never found anymore hena piece since 90ies....
i had a buddy in the past...he was driving with is bike down to the farmers ..he brought one of them a good waterpump , since then they was good partners eheh...
he brought first and second sifting hash in the motorcycle...it began to burn with flames in a joint sometimes cause of so much oil......when put a ball on table in summer and come back after 30 min the ball was flat on table...

but i like french paper more or the plates which have 200 g not 100 g....those hash which is pressed without heat...its softer and better tasting and potent...not as potent as 1 or 2 siffting ...
kind of sero sero....but sero sero wasnt like nugat....and nugat wasnt like the superhash my buddy brought from morocco..
but anyway the nugat we had in late 90ies was really good...
it was all dark...
i dont like blonde hash...

maybe i can try some yellow and red libanese some day....thats what i missed..
nepal hash was crazy good....

wasgedn

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
from morocco'n to pakistani genetics.....

[/FONT]
thats true....now there is more better hash out there....

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
from morocco'n to pakistani genetics.....

[/FONT]
thats true....now there is more better hash out there....

I heard that "an English guy" arrived with a big bag of Afghani seeds 15/20 years ago, that's what started it in the mainstream... No doubt many others had done things before, but this guy had so many seeds it really changed the area. This higher prices the PakiMaroc fetched attracted a lot of attention, so many followed suit.

Now, it seems that Barbara Bud and Nicole Kush are the two big winners of the last year, Amnesia, OG Kush etc seeds simply don't do as well, or yield such good hash, so production is moving towards these two especially.

Autos are also being used over there, for a quick midsumer crop, on large scales.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Now the 2018 crop is arriving, there is a definite move toward quality by the leaders, innovators

One story I heard is that one group are using proper chilled drying rooms for their crops... Last year the leaders/winners were making their dry sift in ·igloos"... polystyrene icehouses on Moroccan mountains... that is how the e60/g hash was made.. Now, they are producing FFRosin there, incredible quality, not like a dried flower, like being in the garden with living plants

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for keeping us informed on the progression of things, chaos!

im curious if you have ever heard of a moroccan variety called "beldia" ? - i received some seeds recently marked "moroccan heirloom Beldia"