What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Morocco 2016

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Greetings hash lovers

Moroccan hash has always been something of a mystery for me, it was the first thing I smoked, but we always knew we were getting a rubbish quality, rumours abounded of adulterants, conker trees, henna, dog shit...

Now, bearing in mind that Moroccan hash production is spread over thousands of farms in the mountains with no connection, standards etc, so there is a lot of variation in standards and methods.

This year I have bumped into several people who have been over there who have all told similar tales, as nobody else has posted about it, I will... please forgive any errors, it is all "to the best of my knowledge"

One visitor told me that "about 50%" of the fields he saw have been turned over to the "new method"... Basically, the days of hillsides full of wild untended plants are dying, increasingly they are lines of irrigated feminised Dutch/Spanish seeds being tended. It still gets seeded by the neighbours crops, but the quality and potency is climbing.

Plenty of new style varietal hash is arriving in Spain, Netherlands, UK, all over Europe that has never been seen before... Moroccan Amnesia/OG/Widow etc... often in soft 100g bars. Some seems to have been adulterated, despite asking I still have not got to the bottom of why or what it is, but hash that is so soft you would not bother holding up a flame to "see if it melts"... but it does not burn so well and is not as potent as you would thing,,, So, old habits die hard..

But, there is some clean hash coming through, and from several people who were out there, the same story... Hash and "Worked hash"

This is Moroccan dry sift, of Amnesia, from seed. The lighter 2 lumps on the left are au naturel..they smell a lot more of the plants they came from, it is not as dense as the darker lump on the RHS which is "worked". This has lost a lot of the distinctive plant aromas, but is more "hashy" and held to be more potent. I was told it gets sealed up in gaffa tape and beaten hard for hours, it can be a little bit more expensive. Not everybody prefers it, different markets value them differently according to taste. All 3 lumps have been opened up to show the inside, even if it may not look like that

picture.php

Dog Star

Veteran
I smoked those light yellow pollen when i was in Barcelona,that was like good class
of hash... and i buyed once hashish from one Morocco guy that was so good,
sativa effects of laughing and grinning for 2-3 hours... damn me didnt buy bigger chunk
he offers me... but thats some great smoke i haved there.

Thanx for sharin ChaosCatalunya

NotYourSaviour

@ChaosCatalunya

Cheers for summing this up, heard and read similar stories from people been there in the last years.
Though think as you already pointed out there is utter chaos as so many different methods and approaches ; for sure they use western genetics(Note: lots of new stuff from Morocco is labelled as 'Amnesia' lately which is just a somewhat marketing move to me as I doubt they will use one of those cuts(3?)of Amnesia floating around there but at best that seedline of Amnesia from HyProSeeds ; even quite sceptical about this. On the other hand they seem to use lots of feminized seeds from DNA Genetics and the like which I hope won't change their own landrace considering open pollination. ) more and more beside their own traditional landrace and those ones from Afghanistan/Pakistan/India/Jamaica which were even introduced there before the seedlines mentioned above.
Personally enjoy classic as new flavours and certainly hope traditional ones won't disappear but it's not looking good I assume. Time will tell.

Anyway, like Quiet_Riot I'd too like to know if the darker one is contaminated as I can't figure out what you mean. Are you saying they 'worked' it to give it a more classic hashy smell(know what you would mean with this as the new ones about one or two years ago tend to smell a lot different(read: like weed) than the traditional ones but also came accross the ones with foreigen genetics lately smelling lesser like their original strain but more hashy like the traditional ones while you still have this new taste to some point.)?
Or are you saying they mixed up different types of resin to get an other product(as they call it, sp: 'Gerdella')?
Or is this darker one indeed contaminated?

Questions upon questions. Cheers in advance:)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
worked hash means it has been heated and beat again and again till it becomes gooey. some times they will add crap when they work the hash. but the tech really only involves working it like dough and using a heated surface to whack it down on and knead it. you can find it on you tube. this changes the flavor and activates all the thc as far as i understand it. might make a more sleepy high after being worked.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Some seems to have been adulterated, despite asking I still have not got to the bottom of why or what it is, but hash that is so soft you would not bother holding up a flame to "see if it melts"... but it does not burn so well and is not as potent as you would thing,,, So, old habits die hard..

View Image

Looks like some of the Amnesia stuff they sell i Amsterdam. Never tried any myself, cause i like the traditional kinds.

I have had some of these supersoft expensive Moroccan hashes in Adam. I don't think they are "adulterated", but these are not pure pollen either. I think they make oil of the low quality hash and then mix some of this oil with dry pollen to make these super softs.
But these were from a top rated coffeeshop not the streets

Of course it is prolly easier to "cut" the hash now, cause it looks strange to begin with, but the stuff i smoked in Adam few years ago burned clean and tasted like it's supposed to. ..but again streets can be very different.

Enjoy ...i wish i had the hash connections back home what you Spanish boys can have over there
:)

EDIT:

BTW, how much is that Amnesia pollen Spain /gram? ..in Adam prolly 12-15 euros/g

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Afghan making Kief to black afghani hash

[YOUTUBEIF]WMsNfWC29NI[/YOUTUBEIF]

this is what it means to work the hash

GoatCheese

Veteran
Afghan making Kief to black afghani hash

[youtubeif]WMsNfWC29NI[/youtubeif]

this is what it means to work the hash
I've also seen pics of people just working the resin in their hands without heating it.

Atleast in some places in Morocco they use another different method; they pound a big lump of hash with wooden clubs, but i'm not sure it they heat it at all.

+
+

In the Strain Hunters Moroc expidition they show how they make oil out of low quality hash.

kaochiu

Veteran
Just got this as a xmas pressie. It's moroccan made, tangerine hash, (tangerine as from the fruit, not from Tangiers) It does work, it does taste strong good hash, it does get you high. Yet i'm suspicious on how's made.
First, it gets you high, but looks like is gonna get you much higher.
Second, it's so sticky it becames unmanageable, looks like mixed with hash oil. The afghan way as shown in the video, cannot be done with this stuff, hands would end up like wearing hash gloves.
Third, it's available in different parts of Spain and the price is not that bad, like 6€ a gram, which means it's produced at industrial levels.
Fourth, i've been a regular visitor in the Rif from 1984-2010, and never seen anything like this, definitely is a new method with new strains. Seems like lots of things happenned these last years over there.
Fifth, i cannot imagine how that resin can be dry sifted, it'd be stuck to the mesh, suggesting other way of extraction, such ice. Perhaps a new method with solvents?
And more subtle differences. Maybe is just that, low quality hash improved with hashoil.

Beating a lot the bad hash is an old moroccan trick. For the following fifteen minutes after the beat it will look gooey, warm and easy to shape. Then it'll became rock hard. Done in bricks is the (almost) extinct soapbar, and the burnt plastic taste prolly comes from the bag of brown tape that holds the pollen while beaten.
After all, quality is proportionate to how much you beat the plant, and at the end of the day every plant gets beaten as much as it can be.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Just got this as a xmas pressie. It's moroccan made, tangerine hash, (tangerine as from the fruit, not from Tangiers) It does work, it does taste strong good hash, it does get you high. Yet i'm suspicious on how's made.
First, it gets you high, but looks like is gonna get you much higher.
Second, it's so sticky it becames unmanageable, looks like mixed with hash oil. The afghan way as shown in the video, cannot be done with this stuff, hands would end up like wearing hash gloves.
Third, it's available in different parts of Spain and the price is not that bad, like 6€ a gram, which means it's produced at industrial levels.
Fourth, i've been a regular visitor in the Rif from 1984-2010, and never seen anything like this, definitely is a new method with new strains. Seems like lots of things happenned these last years over there.
Fifth, i cannot imagine how that resin can be dry sifted, it'd be stuck to the mesh, suggesting other way of extraction, such ice. Perhaps a new method with solvents?
And more subtle differences. Maybe is just that, low quality hash improved with hashoil.

Beating a lot the bad hash is an old moroccan trick. For the following fifteen minutes after the beat it will look gooey, warm and easy to shape. Then it'll became rock hard. Done in bricks is the (almost) extinct soapbar, and the burnt plastic taste prolly comes from the bag of brown tape that holds the pollen while beaten.
After all, quality is proportionate to how much you beat the plant, and at the end of the day every plant gets beaten as much as it can be.
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690101" target="_blank">View Image
Yea, those oil-hash types have been sold in Amsterdam for few years now. Some are more sticky than others. I have sampled few different kind, the stickiest was more or less the same as yours and came in a wax paper. Very annoying to make joints with this stuff!!

The oiliness didn't make it any more potent than the pressed pollen hash of the same price range. = The hash makers can turn their bad hash into oil and then sell it for better price mixed in with good grade pollen. They win, not the customer.
-
-
Some "beaten" hash is actually quite good quality. The Caramello types go for 12 euros/g in Adam.
I sampled some of this kind called Super Tbisla from De Dampkring. Id guess it has some % of Paki genetics in it, it was not pure Moroccan. Earthy, more potent and stonier than Morocs.

kaochiu

Veteran
I definitely like dry sift over any other, and tried the Rif hashes in Amsterdam. Comparing to the ones offered in the farms prolly was the same, only a bit dryer because of the trip.
Yet with all those new extraction techniques i'm getting a bit lost and might be biased. What i mean was that if you beat the plant you get the dry sift, and if you beat the dry sift, you crush the trichs making it bland and soft.
If the extraction is good, you can easily do that with your fingers. If there's a lot of lesser quality overshaken veg material, place it in the bag and beat the shit out of it for it also will break the fewer trichs. The results are very low grade, though
I went through this box, but the mesh was letting too much veg through, still a good smoke. Old photos, though, but i was trying to recreate the old Rif "get whatever's at hand" style

GoatCheese

Veteran
I definitely like dry sift over any other, and tried the Rif hashes in Amsterdam. Comparing to the ones offered in the farms prolly was the same, only a bit dryer because of the trip.
Yet with all those new extraction techniques i'm getting a bit lost and might be biased. What i mean was that if you beat the plant you get the dry sift, and if you beat the dry sift, you crush the trichs making it bland and soft.
If the extraction is good, you can easily do that with your fingers. If there's a lot of lesser quality overshaken veg material, place it in the bag and beat the shit out of it for it also will break the fewer trichs. The results are very low grade, though
I went through this box, but the mesh was letting too much veg through, still a good smoke. Old photos, though, but i was trying to recreate the old Rif "get whatever's at hand" style
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690162" target="_blank">View Image
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690164" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690173" target="_blank">View Image
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690165" target="_blank">View Image
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70487&pictureid=1690166" target="_blank">View Image

Yea, those Super stickies i was talking about were Rif Man's. From the original De Dampkring and Tweede Kamer. Cheaper one was 8,50 euros/g and the wax paper-sticky was 14 or 15 euros/g.

Both were made with more traditional hash plants, not western hybrids. Was told the wax paper one was made with Afghan genetics and the cheaper one i think might have had skunky Paki in it, but i didn't ask when i bought it.
-
-
Grow some CBD-rich variety and add some of that in your dry sift, you won't be sorry. CBD is the biggest difference with traditional hash vs western indoor hash.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its pretty interesting to hear about this change happening in the fields, not only what they are growing but how it's being grown
it seems the overall response is good? the hash from new method farms is superior ?

GoatCheese

Veteran
its pretty interesting to hear about this change happening in the fields, not only what they are growing but how it's being grown
it seems the overall response is good? the hash from new method farms is superior ?
According to Nevil, the superior quality actually comes from the plants that grow in arid enviroment ..poor yield but top quality.

Dog Star

Veteran
A poor rain and not frequent watering made plants stronger for sure,

in Biodynamics they water plant only on repoting as they say that in that way
you give a chance for plant that she fights for her water spreading roots
much deeper and in this way you get "athlete",a fighter that thrives even
when hard drought kicks..

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
Yes, like you and kaochiu say, it is suspiciously soft, for how strong it is, and does not burn right, too oily.... is what everybody is saying. I spoke to a guy yesterday who goes over and makes it every year, his own is clean btw, but not the cheapest at 6. He and one other person I know who were there said they thought it was palm oil they were cutting it with, one said it was 10%.

But, not all gets messed with, it is lots of small farms, not large well organised businesses, so a lot of variation and every year, feedback from the market, which is increasingly run by Moroccans in Spain.

The best stuff I have seen was unreal, dry sift made in a freezer truck, this is the way forward folks. E60/g in a regular club, amazing price, quality. I have a short vid I will try to post soon. You would laugh if anybody tried to get a flame near it.

Yea, those oil-hash types have been sold in Amsterdam for few years now. Some are more sticky than others. I have sampled few different kind, the stickiest was more or less the same as yours and came in a wax paper. Very annoying to make joints with this stuff!!

The oiliness didn't make it any more potent than the pressed pollen hash of the same price range. = The hash makers can turn their bad hash into oil and then sell it for better price mixed in with good grade pollen. They win, not the customer.
-
-
Some "beaten" hash is actually quite good quality. The Caramello types go for 12 euros/g in Adam.
I sampled some of this kind called Super Tbisla from De Dampkring. Id guess it has some % of Paki genetics in it, it was not pure Moroccan. Earthy, more potent and stonier than Morocs.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day GC

Morocco folks might not have great educations .
But they are far from stupid . When they saw the ice o lator hash selling for 30 + euros when their dry sift was selling for 6-8 Euro a gram .

These days there are entire valleys running fem seeds from Spain . Drying indoors and making bubble hash . About the same amount of labour and tripple the returns .

Next thing will be the moaning about the disappearing trad sifted hash ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

I think so, but I don't know much about the whole market, the supply is certainly changing and getting "better".. But they had to, indoor bud has taken so much of the market percentage in Europe, many countries got rubbish 250g soap/poo bar for years and now love the weed. I was one sufferee... Many kids going back to Morocco with tales of the branded hybrids and a lot of visitors renting fields has clearly had an effect on a large part (maybe 50% this year one visitor told me) of the land. As far as I know, that is only going to increase.