What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bubble hash > rosin can i squish patties straight from the freezer?

TheCatsMeow

Hello guys and ladies,

Novice hash maker here who has maybe fallen off the game here in the last couple years...

I love hash. Bubble being my favorite with proper live resin to follow and high quality rosin for good measure...

Right now im having a hard time excepting that i must first
-freeze my hash
-then micro plane only to
-wait half a week (or more) to dry & be able to collect N' press all the non-full melt bubble

is there a way to skip the micro planing and drying?? i know people are using freeze dryers now but is this the reason why??

when i press a frozen puck straight from the freezer with no dry time or micro plane, i end up with a rosin product that smells wonderful and has a almost buttery state but when dropped on a banger, the product cracks and sizzles :(

im assuming this is the moister trapped inside the bubble before pressing.

will the rosin cure up nice over time and evaporate the water from within?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
there is a danger of the moisture inside causing mold, even if it can't mold, the water can go stale and totally ruin the inherent flavor of the hash. it's still hash and still hits you well, but the taste is kinda stale. and you can never get rid of that taste and smell once it happens, even if you make it bone dry powder.

on the other hand you don't need to micro plane it, you could chuck it in a clean 20 minute frozen, coffee grinder and spread the gravel you get after a few seconds of grinding out well on baking paper, let it dry fully, then re work it if you want or just enjoy it as is. really good bubble hash needs no pressing or working to make it superb after all.

PDX Dopesmoker

The appeal of the freeze dryer is that it helps you to produced finished material which looks like this:
15876859_195234474283193_8801497770398580736_n.jpg

which squishes out to rosin which looks like this:
15337066_1339012946211931_5548400918052995072_n.jpg

and some people will pay triple digits for a gram which looks like that

Picarus

You can skip the freezing and micro planing but not the drying.
- After you pull the material from the bags use a metal strainer and rub against it turning the hash into a crumble texture.
-Spread this over a large piece of cardboard and let dry. {don't physically spread it, just distribute it over a large surface area, allowing it do dry quickly}
-After a few days color gets darker and you can collect into a bag and store unpressed in the refrigerator. I put the bag, open, into a paper grocery bag that will keep it drying out for another day or two.
-Then seal up the bag and press small amounts as needed.

TerpFactory

Those pics are mine, @pdxdopesmoker thanks for not taking credit.

The issue with moisture is that too little will hurt your squish returns, since then I have been leaving it a bit wetter prior to squish, no issues with sizzle, also tends to be more terpy. Not sure how to measure moisture content though.

PDX Dopesmoker

The issue with moisture is that too little will hurt your squish returns, since then I have been leaving it a bit wetter prior to squish, no issues with sizzle, also tends to be more terpy. Not sure how to measure moisture content though.

Wow, thanks for showing up to claim your due credit, thats really amazing looking material you're producing.
Have you found that the rosin from freeze dried material is substantially more flavorful than rosin pressed from air dried hash? A couple ounces of our hash is about to be pressed for a contest entry and I'm wondering what we might be up against.
Have you tried freeze drying flower before hashing it?

MtnGanj

So true- its a fine line between moldy and perfect term dreaminess!