What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I know, there are already threads about this. I was just so stoked I had to make a new one- sorry :blowbubbles:

Just tried it for the first time, and I'll never go back to ice water again!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Okay, hold my hand and teach me never made Dry Ice hash before. Been wanting to research this more after I saw the amazing chunks of beautiful resin mugenbao posted in my forum! :good:

All ears :biggrin:

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Once you watch a couple of those videos, with the kif just snowing down, it's just- whoa....

I'm far from an expert, and if anyone has corrections or comments, feel free to chime in.
I did 2 batches with a 160u bag only.You might well get better quality by doing 70u first then 160.

So, all you need is a bucket, a bag (or 2) and a block of dry ice. Most larger supermarkets sell it, at least around here. I think it was 8$ for a block around the size of a smallish phone book.

Just break the dry ice into chunks- I used a screwdriver and hammer. Seems many people put a layer of dry ice in the bucket, then the weed, then another layer of dry ice- I just chunked up the dry ice, threw in the weed and let it sit a minute, agitating occasionally.

Then put your bag over the bucket, and turn the whole thing upside down over a piece of glass, mirror, or wooden table- anything hard and smooth- and start shaking.

The longer you shake, the more the kif turns from sandy to greenish. I watched a video (it's the one GP73LPC linked to above) where he did this over a long table and worked his way from one end to the other so he could see the color changing. I shook for maybe 3-5 minutes, scraped that up, then shook again for the second greener grade.

I was using trim and popcorn buds. It was fresh but dry enough to crumble.
With 1 oz I got 3.5 gm the first run, and another gm or so the second run.

Other batch I used 60 gms- it was less sugary than the other, and got 5 gms first run, and maybe 2 gms the second.

Anyway- check out some of those videos. There is some debate on mesh size, but the basic method is pretty well established.

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
May I remind people to be careful with Dry Ice it will almost instantly damage your skin with severe freeze burn just had to throw that out there but yeah this sounds ridiculously easy :good:

Makes sense :smoke out:

M

mugenbao

It is ridiculously easy... I intend to keep playing with that method to see if I can get better at it, maybe trying different mesh sizes as well as collecting the first minute's worth of sift before continuing, etc. I'll keep working on my bubble techniques also, but the dry ice method is very simple and very fast.

I think next time I'll take my pile and try carding it over a 25u screen to get rid of the smallest bits and see how that turns out.

My first time trying it, I ended up with 6 grams, which was certainly more than I expected. I'm still learning, so it won't win any awards, but it really does the trick for me:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was neat :D

Last edited:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
It is ridiculously easy... I intend to keep playing with that method to see if I can get better at it, maybe trying different mesh sizes as well as collecting the first minute's worth of sift before continuing, etc. I'll keep working on my bubble techniques also, but the dry ice method is very simple and very fast.

I think next time I'll take my pile and try carding it over a 25u screen to get rid of the smallest bits and see how that turns out.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was neat :D

nah bruh, your not the only one!! i cant wait to get my hands on this method. havent really been searching as of yet to see what stores/supermarkets either may or do carry dry ice, but my denatured alcohol days are OVER!!!

M

merlot

Alright, a bit late to the party.. but interested!

Watched that video.. pretty cool. I've only made Iso and Bubble.. gonna have to give this dry ice method a try and see how it goes

M

mugenbao

nah bruh, your not the only one!! i cant wait to get my hands on this method. havent really been searching as of yet to see what stores/supermarkets either may or do carry dry ice, but my denatured alcohol days are OVER!!!
In my area, the two biggest nearby supermarket chains carry it, I just happened to notice that they had a dry ice freezer in the front of the store one day. I don't remember ever seeing it advertised anywhere, though...

I hope folks will post up their results, I'd love to see it!

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is Sweet Tooth hash! :biggrin:

Man I love the Duke of Grapefruits (mugenbao) the guy is totally awesome and he is a pretty damn good grower too! :good:

:greenstars:

M

merlot

Alrighty, had some fun with it today. Picked up 8 lbs of dry ice from the grocery store, and 2-4 oz of trim:

Put the trim in, let it sit for a few minutes.. agitated it a few times.. Then put the 160 bag over.

Shook it over the picture frame and voila!

picture.php

picture.php

Seemed pretty easy

Came out with 24 grams wet (can you call it wet?)

Last edited:
M

mugenbao

24 grams of hash....

You don't do anything small, do you? Good gravy!

LokiLoki

Whoa this is totally new to me, i just bought a pair of bubble bags, the small size. Will probably try the normal bubble method and this one.

But you guys say that this method (dry ice) is better?

The hash looks lovely! :dance013:

M

merlot

24 grams of hash....

You don't do anything small, do you? Good gravy!

Just have lots of trim to use hehe ;)

Without you and zymos bringing it up I probably would never have tried the Dry Ice...

By far the easiest method I have tried yet.. not sure the quality vs bubble as I don't really smoke hash but it looks good :ying:

LokiLoki

I watched some vids on youtube and most shake the bag over a table etc and it seems a lot of the resin is wasted.. Wouldn't it be easier to shake the bag/tank over another, bigger tank?