What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New York shouldn’t allow use of medical marijuana

Treetops

What a shame, the mind set thats so wrong!!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial-page/from-our-readers/letters-to-the-editor/article502402.ece

This letter is in response to the July 20 article in regard to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s sudden reconsideration to legalize medical marijuana in New York State. Just last fall he stated that the dangers of legalizing marijuana, even for medical purposes, outweighed the benefits. Why the sudden change of heart?

There has still had been no extensive research done that shows any remarkable benefits from the drug. In fact, the Drug Enforcement Administration recently stated, “medical marijuana has no accepted medical use, and should continue to be classified as a Schedule I drug.” DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart states, “At this time, the known risks of marijuana use have not been shown to be outweighed by specific benefits in well-controlled clinical trials that scientifically evaluate safety and efficiency.”

While some government officials are eager to follow the states that have legalized medical marijuana, they should look at those states that are now considering repealing those laws. The dangers outweigh the benefits. Earlier this year, lawmakers in Montana were looking to repeal their medical marijuana law due to an influx in recreational pot use and illegal drug trade. Many other states are facing similar problems.

Cuomo should stick to his plan to reduce unnecessary spending instead of now increasing government costs by setting up new regulations and methods of distribution for medicinal marijuana. He needs to take a good, hard look at the facts before coming to the conclusion that New York State should become a marijuana distributor.

Megan Kunecki
Public Educator, Erie County Council for the Prevention of Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Buffalo

igrowone

Veteran
don't be too worried about this crank yanker's opinion, the western edge of the state tends to the conservative side
if Cuomo is listening about MMJ, there is some real hope here
and listening means listening to the sounds of money dropping in someone's pocket
just hoping they don't screw with the bill that was up last session in the state legislature, it was already restrictive enough

Last edited:
if your savy its easy to find a email adress for her I suggest you drop her a line and let her know how you feel. I did...

ijim

Plain and simple someone in his family got a big fat check or stock in a pharm company. Plus a board of directors job when he gets tossed out of office.

There should be a concerted effert to have alcohol classified as a schedule I drug and outlawed. If they won't give us our weed then we should take away their alcohol.

Peace...

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Cuomo family does nothing without the dollar sign involved ... so yeah if he changed his mind about the MMJ policy .... then there's cash involved in one form or another .

corporate america ... i fukin hate it !!!! & new york is one of the worst offenders .

New York shouldn’t allow use of medical marijuana

recreational use is fine with me homies...heavy peace !!

igrowone

Veteran
The Cuomo family does nothing without the dollar sign involved ... so yeah if he changed his mind about the MMJ policy .... then there's cash involved in one form or another .

corporate america ... i fukin hate it !!!! & new york is one of the worst offenders .

it is what it is
California did it with a voter referendum
if NY does it, it will be some back room deal
each state has their own character

budlover123

...There has still had been no extensive research done that shows any remarkable benefits from the drug. In fact, the Drug Enforcement Administration recently stated, “medical marijuana has no accepted medical use, and should continue to be classified as a Schedule I drug.” DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart states, “At this time, the known risks of marijuana use have not been shown to be outweighed by specific benefits in well-controlled clinical trials that scientifically evaluate safety and efficiency...
It's amazing the way these assholes try to shape reality to meet their lily-white ideas of how things are supposed to be, heard it before, we're not buying it...

Lets discuss the medical benefits of the recreational drug alcohol then...

G

greenmatter

It's amazing the way these assholes try to shape reality to meet their lily-white ideas of how things are supposed to be, heard it before, we're not buying it...

Lets discuss the medical benefits of the recreational drug alcohol then...

:laughing::yeahthats ..... oops i forgot alcohol is not a drug. megan more than likely wrote that article after a four martini lunch ...... it obviously helped her keep everything in perspective

Treetops

Cuomo to legalize medical marijuana in N.Y.

Cuomo to legalize medical marijuana in N.Y.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...to-legalize-medical-marijuana-in-ny-/4321637/

ALBANY, N.Y. — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will announce plans to legalize medical marijuana through an executive order, according to a published report Saturday.

Cuomo is expected to legalize medical marijuana on a limited basis at 20 hospitals for specific conditions, the New York Times reported Saturday evening. Cuomo will make the announcement during his State of the State address on Wednesday, the newspaper said, citing unnamed state officials.

The move would be a shift for Cuomo, who is up for re-election in November. As recently as April, he voiced opposition to the idea, questioning whether it could be properly regulated. But he also has said that he would keep an open mind on the issue, saying it is an "evolving one."

"I do not support medical marijuana. I understand the pros and cons. I understand the argument," the Democratic governor told reporters then. "We are looking at it, but at this point, I don't support medical marijuana."

Twenty states have legalized medical marijuana, and Colorado on Wednesday began allowing recreational marijuana use.

There was no immediate comment from Cuomo's office on the report.

The legalization of medical marijuana has repeatedly passed the Democratic-led Assembly, but has failed in the Republican-controlled Senate.

Democratic state Sen. Diane Savino said Saturday she was aware that Cuomo was expected to take a pro-medical marijuana stance in his address. She hailed his change in position.

"I think under his leadership, we can probably have the best, most-regulated, tightest-controlled system in the nation that provides real help for patients," she said.

The Times reported Cuomo is expected to use a provision in the public health law that allows the state health commissioner to approve controlled substances for patients with certain diseases.

State Conservative Party chairman Mike Long knocked Cuomo's stance, saying he should focus on the economy and the weak growth in the state's population.

"Instead of dealing with social issues that appeal to his liberal base, he would be best doing all New Yorkers a favor and get New York back on track," Long said Saturday.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup .... time to sway the votes toward cuomo !!!! I figured it would happen in 2016 when he runs for president , but his term in office here is coming to the vote again ....

MR happy

Only when upstate gets rid of its dingleberry(NYC) I like my decrim laws! MMJ will be golden hand cuffs for someone like me!! NY got the ways and means! Until the UN gets out NYC nothing will change! Rebels don't come from NYC just yanks!! Upstate for life!! Fuck Coumo if it wasn't for daddy I would be a slum lord! Maybe he will trade up fracking for mmj!! Coumo is pro UN and anti small biz.

igrowone

Veteran
a topic worth bumping, so Cuomo is still not for MMJ but will call it something else when dispensed from a hospital?
how can a human brain warp things to such an extent? answer, not really human, more of a giant shaved weasel
on the good side, it's breaking the ice a little more in NY, the weasel is up for re-election in Nov. 2014?

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
a topic worth bumping, so Cuomo is still not for MMJ but will call it something else when dispensed from a hospital?
how can a human brain warp things to such an extent? answer, not really human, more of a giant shaved weasel
on the good side, it's breaking the ice a little more in NY, the weasel is up for re-election in Nov. 2014?

yeah thats why he's pushing this hospital thing through ... to try & sway some votes .

SwampNug

Bah... I was pissed when the only alternative to Cuomo was the bigot from buffalo. NY is a basket case of whats wrong with this country, and it doesnt have to do with liberals or conservatives, it has to do with corruption. Too many old farts with too much money and power. NY will be the last to legalize.