What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashish by Suomi Lavalle (Lebanon, Nepal, and making oil in Nepal); 1984

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i recall they were using methal alchohol to help extract the oil , should be there somewhere in the literature...

Bumble Buddy

I think the rig is a solvent extraction unit: a thermocouple in the lid of the pressure cooker is connected to a dial thermometer to regulate heat provided by flame below, the can hanging above with a valve on each end of the connection is filled with resin+solvent, the ball float-valve inside the cooker regulates the flow of resin+solvent, the rigid tubing is connected to a vaccuum pump likely... eh? :chin:

Also, there is probably a cooling condensation coil on the vaccuum line.

That rig is really fascinating, the technology and methods used to construct it seems so crude and low tech yet it is brilliant in conception, some really smart tinkerer made that. There have been thousands of hash makers on the boards discussing back and forth the best purging methods this last decade, yet the only hash making apparatus I've seen to surpass that old rig in ingenuity is the closed circuit rig Foaf made... so interesting.. :chin:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
:whee::greenstars::whee:

Vamos con dios, grand Merci El Rubio!
Now I can go to sleep by these silky dreams +k+

gholladay

This is a great thread! Bumping for more info on the still set up! The big ball in that setup almost looks like a float switch to me (like the one found in a toilet).

Someone mentioned it may be an autoclave (heat and pressure apparatus), which would make sense. It looks to me like the bricks it's sitting on are insulating a heat source and I'd guess that there's some sort of condensing apparatus involved as well. Very very cool ingenuity.

Love to learn more. Thanks for sharing.

G

mack 10

Veteran
Looks like a float switch to me as well. If you look its connected to a vessel hanging above the rig.
Did they use alcohol and all the old skool nasty solvents?

EsterEssence

Veteran
The vessel on the wall is the solvent/ oil mix, the float is from a toilet to allow the mix in without opening the pot. The tube you only see a little of is the condenser to reclaim the solvent. The pot has a metal to metal seal so no gasket is required..The pot is a pressure cooker...
Mack, to answer your ? there was many different types of solvents being used, Ethanol was widely used as well a ether and some others. I was heavily at odds with Eldon over some of the solvents he used.