What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

simba

Sleeping Dragon
ya there where many other pages on the benis.. ill bring them over LOL i gota find the good pages..

are the lumatek.. UL.. even with still no good.. IMPHO>>
for init cost vs Life vs savings.. = Magnetic Safer. More reliable. list goes on..
DO me a favor ask them for the UL cert Number to confirm that..
as IMPHO they would be advertised with it plastered on the tag as they would be the only one in the horti market with UL..
And they have NO ANSI Rating
MPL i CALL BS not on u but on BGHydro..
get that in a email then if ur house burns down u can SUE BGH

i just looked at my Newest sell sheets for a few elec ballasts and NONE of the Horti sheets have UL or ANSI anywhere on them.. Thats KEY> without it NO WAY....they make enough money to pay the fees.. so why you ask havent they. prob cause they would FAIL THE TESTS>. they are very stringent on HV devices.. and as lumetek says there ballast is suseptable to leaking resin that alone would FAIL the UL TEST>> shows it cant shut down or properly maintain temps etc.. Long version shortened..

PHI LIPS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS THE SPDs WE WANT>>
Im out for the best and Phillips is the ONLY ones with them.. FOr many reasons..

Phillips CMH are avail from 20-400 watt ranges..
also avail in PAR Format.. (Great for One or two plant grow ops)

MPL..you said "EYE BLUE".. "has" "somewhat higher output, good spectrum and has been proven to be effective"
i need to correct you on that..
........400......Philiips CMH....EYE Blue
Init Lumen........34,800.........29,000
Mean lumen......29,000.........22,000
SPD Lean.........Red...........Blue
Life.................15K...............12k
Horti Life..........12K.............9K IMPHO Less than 9k for EYE blue but being nice..
Cost................$53.00..........$109.00
as a one bulb even if the price and everything else was reversed in the eye blues favor id still want philips cmh for the SPD> alone.. But they have every thing.. no other MFR can come close to Philips.even with CMH philips is the only one with OPEN Fixture rated Lamps.. Ya!! super safe for Grower..

Last edited:
Sorry for the confusion, but in the Phillips HID Catalog I only see the HPS conversion lamps for S50 (250W) and S51 (400W) ballasts. Are the other sizes available in as HPS conversion lamps, or do they require pulse start MH ballasts i.e. M140 (150W)? I am intrigued, but I am having a hard time putting my hands on a product number for a S55 ballast. Perhaps the 2006 date on that catalog is the reason why I cannot find these new(er) products.

KillerWeed

simba

Sleeping Dragon
KW, No worries..
there are only 2 lamps as HPS conversion (250 & 400)
and yes they have 20-400 Metal Halide Pulse Start Versions (I prefer the hps retros for the 250,400 watt units for many reasons.

M140 ballast is 100 watt ballast not 150.. watt
150 watt is a M142, M102

20-150 Watt CMH
Single Ended G12
http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmg12.htm
When you use 20-150 watt I prefer the g12 and rx7 because you can Retro them into Flood lights and Make Mini DIY Air cooled hoods that are efficient in throwing the light out and keeping the heat out of the grow.. a 150 in a big reflector is wasting to much of the energy.. and there not for Large grow areas.. (unless only as veg lights, and then you need the efficiency of the smaller reflector) even for Mini, micro grows a large bulb is harder to make a efficient reflector and cooling option. (g12 or rx7 in a pc you can just use the top rails as the Light Box, and have a large are for lamp heat and a smaller fan would keep it cool)
for a small 1.5x1.5 Grow or 2.5x2.5 veg area another option a 150watt rx7 retrod into a LumenMax 3 HQI (SS's Aquarium Reflector IE designed for small bulb and for small Power full footprint.. But $$$ for LM3)

also you can get CMH Par Lamps in 20-150 watt (like security flood lamps)
for small grows. 2 39 watters in a pc would rock to.. and not hard to cool.. (they make a dual 39 cmh Ballast)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Bloom

Simba, I was looking at the Phillips information for the 400 watt CMH and the initial lumen output is 34,800 lumens, not 38,400. Just wanted to point that out for informational purposes, and i know its a super easy typo to make so I wouldn't think it was intentional.

Still, CMH looks way better that the silly EYE Hortilux i'm running right now....so i think i'm going to have to order one right about......NOW!

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I got mine in about 10 days, with E-mail delivery updates on it status.... :headbange

Fired right up...two weeks in use...enjoy

G

Hey Pinball - Are you getting nice tight healthy plants as I always do under the white light? I would expect good node spacing and agressive root growth.

Question: I'm 2 weeks into flowering my WW. I'm using a 400 eye blue in a switchable ballast. I have a supersun reflector in which I cut a hole to mount another bulb so they are end to end. I'm going to add a 270 super agro bulb in that reflector. Now with the 400 watt eye blue and the 270 super agro, would this be a good spectrum? I'm so used to using all hps during flowering but all this talk and all of these new grows I see with mh bulbs makes me want to try it. But I also have a 400 hps bulb as well.
So what would be best the 400 eye blue along with the 270 hps super agro. or the 400 watt hps along with the 270 hps super agro?
I have asked this before in another thread, but did not get much in replies.
Thanks
p.s I also have a 250 cmd and a 400 cmd waiting in the wings for the next grow. I do not want to use these yet as i want to compare.

Last edited:

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Azeotrope said:
Hey Pinball - Are you getting nice tight healthy plants as I always do under the white light? I would expect good node spacing and agressive root growth.
Ended of week #3. 98% root bound in 6 inch pots, transplanted into 10 inch pots. About 10-12 inches tall. All is well.

One week under 4 foot floros, 2 weeks under 400 CMH bulb....20/4.

Last edited:
G

Sounds great - Keep it up and let us know how things progress.

Peace

G

Plants respond to different parts of the spectrum for varying functions. For example, there is little qualified argument against the fact that blue light will encourage tight green vegitative growth. I have personaly experienced great rooting under these bulbs and most plant biologists would tell you that there are several factors that help a plant reach full potential. For rooting and stem growth it is well accepted that a good concentration of red light is needed. Of course texture of medium (air capacity), feeding program(plenty of phos), temps and such affect results as well. Light does seem to be key as it triggers production of different hormones/regulators. I am a total renegade when it comes to cloning for example. I just take out my trimming clippers, cut of what I want dip it in hormone(sometimes) and stick it in my potting mix hot or not. Sometimes in a 70/30 mix of coco and ewc. Sometimes in just straight coco. Whatever is jut laying around really. Then under the cmh and not water or dome or misting until dam near dead. Never have less than 80% success. Just took some from some Jhonny Blaze (nevil'shazexblueberry) at like day 28 12/12 or something. No probs. My 100% every time method is to take cuts like 2-3wks in to flower and stuff them right into (no hormone) the pot next to mom. My flower chamber is allways under cmh.

MPL

The Eye Blue has a much better spectrum than any standard MH or HPS bulb. I would tell you to go with the 400w Eye Blue with the 270 HPS Super Agro. That would be your best bet.

Eye Blues are stronger in blue than the CMH, but the CMH is stronger in red than the Eye Blue. I bet a 250w Eye Blue + a 400w Philips CMH would be uber. :D

greenisgold said:
Question: I'm 2 weeks into flowering my WW. I'm using a 400 eye blue in a switchable ballast. I have a supersun reflector in which I cut a hole to mount another bulb so they are end to end. I'm going to add a 270 super agro bulb in that reflector. Now with the 400 watt eye blue and the 270 super agro, would this be a good spectrum? I'm so used to using all hps during flowering but all this talk and all of these new grows I see with mh bulbs makes me want to try it. But I also have a 400 hps bulb as well.
So what would be best the 400 eye blue along with the 270 hps super agro. or the 400 watt hps along with the 270 hps super agro?
I have asked this before in another thread, but did not get much in replies.
Thanks
p.s I also have a 250 cmd and a 400 cmd waiting in the wings for the next grow. I do not want to use these yet as i want to compare.

G

I think I will try adding a 10k (quality aqaurium) 150w on my little electrnic ARO ballast the last 3-4wks of flower to try and augment thrichome production as some claim to be possible. Just for fun!!! The CMH really doesn't leave one lacking, but want to see what a shot of far blue will or will not do.

Latest posts

Latest posts