What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time, 4x4 led grow, don’t know what leds to choose

Hi there,

As already mentioned I can’t decide what LEDs to go for. Looking at kind led, advanced platinum led or optics led.. also thinking if I should go with 1 big one or 2 smaller ones

Any help would be high appreciated

G

Look into Timber Grow Lights.
The offer kits that you can assemble yourself or build your own frame. All the latest top bin COB components and skip all the salesmanship hype of companies sell cut rate Chinese stuff. Your money goes for the quality parts not advertising and overhead. I bought a kit and built my own frame and got a better light for my money.

Do yourself a favor and look into kits like these. I bought one of the “brand name” lights and ended up selling it on eBay. Do your homework before you spend a penny.
https://timbergrowlights.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm72H-LPb2QIVgzppCh2ongI6EAAYASAAEgIAE_D_BwE

Look into Timber Grow Lights.
The offer kits that you can assemble yourself or build your own frame. All the latest top bin COB components and skip all the salesmanship hype of companies sell cut rate Chinese stuff. Your money goes for the quality parts not advertising and overhead. I bought a kit and built my own frame and got a better light for my money.

Do yourself a favor and look into kits like these. I bought one of the “brand name” lights and ended up selling it on eBay. Do your homework before you spend a penny.
https://timbergrowlights.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm72H-LPb2QIVgzppCh2ongI6EAAYASAAEgIAE_D_BwE

Thanks for your quick reply. To be honest I am not too great with electrical let alone a handy man so I will have great difficulty in creating my own. Taking that into consideration, what would you advise?

Cheers

G

Thanks for your quick reply. To be honest I am not too great with electrical let alone a handy man so I will have great difficulty in creating my own. Taking that into consideration, what would you advise?

Cheers
The kits are stupid easy. All the wiring is done. The plugs are color coded so you just plug them together. The even sell frames premade depending on your grow area size. You just assemble them. Easy. There are other kit makers but I’m not current on who since I have my light and am not looking any more. Doesn’t hurt to call them up. They were helpful for me.
Regardless of what you buy don’t run out and make the mistake I did. Didn’t spend enough time learning about lights. It’s the most expensive and important part of settling up your tent. Don’t get in a hurry and have buyers regret from some salesman hype. Educate yourself before you spend a dime. Can’t repeat that enough.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
At this stage of tech it is hard to find an LED with a bad spectrum, all the name brand units, even the less expensive, have good light.

What most of them do not have is constant intensity over the plant. Almost every single light is hot in the center. A 4 x 4 area would have five times the light in the 2 x 2 center compared to the edge.

With that in mind it is always better for the plant to have two or more lights for health and size.
A brand with good reviews for reliability versus initial cost are a good start.

The latest purchases have been 230w 'Dwarf Star' full spectrum at $2/watt. Bought two, liked them, bought two more. No failures in three years.
Bought two 400w 'Black Dog' full spectrum at $3/watt, liked them and bought a third. All three had diodes out before the third year. Warranty is good but lights were gone almost a month.

All in all tried six brands over 200 watts each, those two are the favorites.
Amare' has good reviews at $2/watt but have not personally tried that brand.

Pictured is an Advanced XTE 400 and Platinum P600 on top with ILS 150w passive sidelight. These are not my favorite overhead lights and are used in veg rather than the bud room.

Attachments

• 630w Above, 300w side. 96w 10% UVB side, 39w Far Red side.jpg
    630w Above, 300w side. 96w 10% UVB side, 39w Far Red side.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 15
At this stage of tech it is hard to find an LED with a bad spectrum, all the name brand units, even the less expensive, have good light.

What most of them do not have is constant intensity over the plant. Almost every single light is hot in the center. A 4 x 4 area would have five times the light in the 2 x 2 center compared to the edge.

With that in mind it is always better for the plant to have two or more lights for health and size.
A brand with good reviews for reliability versus initial cost are a good start.

The latest purchases have been 230w 'Dwarf Star' full spectrum at $2/watt. Bought two, liked them, bought two more. No failures in three years.
Bought two 400w 'Black Dog' full spectrum at $3/watt, liked them and bought a third. All three had diodes out before the third year. Warranty is good but lights were gone almost a month.

All in all tried six brands over 200 watts each, those two are the favorites.
Amare' has good reviews at $2/watt but have not personally tried that brand.

Pictured is an Advanced XTE 400 and Platinum P600 on top with ILS 150w passive sidelight. These are not my favorite overhead lights and are used in veg rather than the bud room.

I think I am going to go for 2x P600.. what’s your thoughts?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use Timber lights myself. Absolutely love them. But they are a State side company, which does the op no good.

I remembered another member purchased a 4x4 fixture that looked intriguing and had it shipped from Ireland. It's got lightheads that can be moved to anywhere on the frame and positioned however the plants need for full coverage.

If I didn't have my Timber's, I'd definitely take a hard look at the Migro.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=347898

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I think I am going to go for 2x P600.. what’s your thoughts?

I have been running a pair of P450s for quite a few years with no failure. I personally feel there is too much red, causing early yellowing. I fix that by not turning on the bloom switch unless positioned next to an HID that needs more red. Pretty bright even with just the veg switch on.

Early yellow on the larger leaves does not seem to hurt, but it is unsightly.

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally for the same price , I will manage 3 units like this one : https://pevgrow.com/en/7892-panel-led-agrolite-cob.html#/66-potency-200_w

It will be more movable or modulable . This + an IR spot, not much .

It consists in a dimmable 200w with cxb3590 cree cob 3500k with a meanwell driver . ( A lot of diy solutions are made of these )
You can find a lot of nice solutions at nice prices and cool warranty .

:tiphat:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts