What's new

Selecting bulbs for PL'L?

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Could anyone who knows PL'L help me out getting the right bulbs?

I bought a couple of those Bright Kits for AH Supply a couple years back.Life got complicated and I am just now going to attempt to put the kits together.The kits come with Workhorse 5 Ballasts and little reflectors,along with the necessary hardware,but without bulbs.

I looked at 1000bulbs and found what I was thinking would be the correct bulbs.I called 1000bulbs (they offer this to customers) to ask if these bulbs would work with the ballast,and the gal answering the phone said that unless the ballast said it supports 2g11,that they wouldn't run them.Now I don't know much...but that really sounded wrong to me.Anyway,the bulbs are:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/4650/FC50-P50036.html

(PL-L 50W/841/4P RS - 4 Pin 2G11) Workhorse 5 Model WH5-120L

Thanks.

hyposomniac

That ballast will fire those bulbs, 2 of them.

They make led retrofit bulbs for 2g11 sockets.. they are only 20-25w each but direct light in one direction and bypass the ballast. I've used 55w plls and remember they got really darned hot

I have a 4 x 55watt pll light and it runs very hot
I am looking for replacement light for my grow space thinking ceramic 315

Slim Pickens

Veteran
That ballast will fire those bulbs, 2 of them.

They make led retrofit bulbs for 2g11 sockets.. they are only 20-25w each but direct light in one direction and bypass the ballast. I've used 55w plls and remember they got really darned hot

I don't know about anyone else,but led's really hurt my eyes...even if I do my best to not look at them.I'm going to go ahead and get fluorescent bulbs and put them to work.

I have a 4 x 55watt pll light and it runs very hot
I am looking for replacement light for my grow space thinking ceramic 315

I'd try one of those 315's,but the price puts me off.I'll do my best to make the outdoor sufficient to last me thru the year.I can supplement with auto's under florescent T5s...PL-ls and the old 400w.

Who has the good prices on PL-L's?Is 1000bulbs the low priced leader,or are there other options?I was surprised to see 1000bulbs quote $14.50 shipping on 4 lamps.Maybe that is how they "top up" the profit.?

edited to add that I found bulbs on bulbs.com.The shipping was/is $11.95 on orders under $99,and they take Paypal.

cool.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts