What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cycloptics Greenbeams 315w owners thread

Also, in addition to the interior measurements, if someone could tell me if I'm correct in observing that it's interior in comprised of 8 panels with the top portion of each panel having a crease? Thanks.

The only pics I see of the upper half appear to have been taken in the middle of a Star Wars battle, and it's obscured by blaster fire.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
smile.gif
[/FONT]

milkyjoe

Veteran
Interesting to see a GB thread since I was thinking about them in the future. I'm curious if anyone can take some reasonably accurate measurements of the interior of their unit? I bet I could make something more appropriate for my needs by modifying the panels of a Silver Sun parabolic to achieve the same shape.

Also, I think I see the beginning of a misconception forming around these reflectors and I'd like to dispel it if I may. [To be clear, this is not a criticism of the company, reflector, or any of it's owners and should not be taken as such.]

I think the term "uniform output" is being misconstrued by consumers. I'm willing to bet my life that the level uniformity in output that they claim is only achievable: 1) in a very small area @ just the right distance from the light, or 2) using their complete system w/ modeling included. That is why you need so many reflectors, because each one is only capable of producing the necessary uniformity/penetration within a small "footprint".

And I am willing to bet you are totally wrong

Once you have modelling done you get a clue

How big are your plants? Are they gonna be 2 ft tall...or 7 ft tall? Which one should the lights be closer to?

Once you understand the obvious answer is the 2 ft plants. If you don't get that...think again, the truth is out there

And I am willing to bet you are totally wrong
Wow! Condescending much? And I believe you must have stopped reading after that one post and fired off a knee-jerk reaction comment. Modelling is not the performance of a single reflector, and it is done to the room with the lights (plural, not singular) included as a constant variable. The rest of your comment just didn't make sense given the context. I'd recommend making more sense (kind of like I did in all of my posts, only to have you say, "...you are totally wrong..."), but at least you don't type, "DERP!" every time it crosses your mind.

Could you please enlighten me as to where any flaw could possibly be in my first post in regard to my comments on uniformity? (That would be the one you must have interpreted as a criticism of GB after I explicitly stated it wasn't). It's pretty solid, and I stand behind everything I said. Read them all together. If you do so and come to the same conclusion, then you have simply misunderstood the thrust of my comments. My comments are in regard to how a reflector performs on its own, and how each integrates into their "system". Perhaps you thought I was referring to the system -- all the same, read before typing.

And if you don't get it after that, then be sure to let me know. I wouldn't want you go operating on a bunch of assumptions, and doing things like patronizing people about things you don't have any first-hand knowledge of in the first place. That would just be the worst if you ever did anything like that.

Dialogue is welcomed with open arms, but trolls can f**k right off! Supply me with a flaws in my arguments, in ANY my previous statements, or confine your nonsense comments to YouTube. Thank you in advance.

timmur

I think the term "uniform output" is being misconstrued by consumers. I'm willing to bet my life that the level uniformity in output that they claim is only achievable: 1) in a very small area @ just the right distance from the light, or 2) using their complete system w/ modeling included. That is why you need so many reflectors, because each one is only capable of producing the necessary uniformity/penetration within a small "footprint".

The uniformity is not a function of the modeling, rather the model is reflective of the uniformity of the fixtures.

picture.php

Did you notice how the tight the uniformity is at various distances? You can shut some of the lights off, reduce the PPFD, and still get very good uniformity. Uniformity improves with more fixtures just as it does with Gavitas or ePaps.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on Timmur. The room is lit not the plant. The plant just benefits by it.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh also this thread is about GB and not about knocking it off so please keep that discussion out of this one. Feel free to start another thread on it tho i have no beef with anyone wanting to copy a design but this is not the thread for that purpose. Thanks for understanding everyone.

frostqueen

Wow! Condescending much? And I believe you must have stopped reading after that one post and fired off a knee-jerk reaction comment. Modelling is not the performance of a single reflector, and it is done to the room with the lights (plural, not singular) included as a constant variable. The rest of your comment just didn't make sense given the context. I'd recommend making more sense (kind of like I did in all of my posts, only to have you say, "...you are totally wrong..."), but at least you don't type, "DERP!" every time it crosses your mind.

Could you please enlighten me as to where any flaw could possibly be in my first post in regard to my comments on uniformity? (That would be the one you must have interpreted as a criticism of GB after I explicitly stated it wasn't). It's pretty solid, and I stand behind everything I said. Read them all together. If you do so and come to the same conclusion, then you have simply misunderstood the thrust of my comments. My comments are in regard to how a reflector performs on its own, and how each integrates into their "system". Perhaps you thought I was referring to the system -- all the same, read before typing.

And if you don't get it after that, then be sure to let me know. I wouldn't want you go operating on a bunch of assumptions, and doing things like patronizing people about things you don't have any first-hand knowledge of in the first place. That would just be the worst if you ever did anything like that.

Dialogue is welcomed with open arms, but trolls can f**k right off! Supply me with a flaws in my arguments, in ANY my previous statements, or confine your nonsense comments to YouTube. Thank you in advance.

It might help a bit if you could maybe summarize instead of making 15 rambling posts with random theories. Just a thought.

And telling somebody to fuck off is a bannable offense. If you can't keep it civil you might want to do the same.

Stinkhorn123

Really stoked to see this thread evolve, (hopefully) thanks for making it McKush. I've been leaning towards these over the other 315's on the market, but the influx of new products and technologies has been dizzying. I'm hoping this thread makes pulling the trigger a bit easier.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heya Stink - thanks for the kind words. When I started researching the 315w I was dismayed by the lack of commercial offerings so it is really nice to see these taking off and being offered in many different configurations & reflector options. I could have easily built one with all the info on the 315 CMH thread but I've got enough on my plate and I don't need the worry about safety afterwards even though, done correctly, there is little to worry about. The price of the GBs are the only drawback imho, I don't think there is a better reflector yet than the GB for the 315. Whether the difference is worth the extra cost is up to each individual grower. In my case I felt the extra cost is easily recouped over a couple of grows.

If i add any more lights they will be GBs to compliment my epap. In my short experience I would not consider flowering without a DE. But adding 315 spectrum to that with one or two additional GBs would be killer yet still keep my intensity from becoming too much for the plants.

good luck with your search and come back and update this thread if you go GB.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tagged!

Looks like you are off to a good start, McKush. Looking forward to seeing the information develop.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tagged!

Looks like you are off to a good start, McKush. Looking forward to seeing the information develop.

Heya Rives! Welcome bud and thanks for all the help you have been to me personally as well as the larger community.

For those who don't know, Rives has helped hundreds of growers thru his threads, comments, and PMs. He is a first rate Leccy with few equals on this site.

I have a link on the first post to his 315w CMH thread and that is the goto thread if you want to learn about this bulb and technology. Plenty of knowledge in that one from many posters.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Im trying to decide between this, 2 of these, a sunsystem 315 lec, two of those, or a d-papillon 650w for a 4.5 x 4.5 veg. Any thoughts?

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dpap is dimmable and i think the other two may not be. The reflector is the same as the epap which throws rectangular not square (epap is ~ 5x6 fixture whereas gavita is ~ 4x4 fixture), using a good wall covering like Orca would help that tho.

wanted real bad to get a dpap for veg but opted for an obtainable greenbeam (GB drawback is $$$ as two would be nearly $1,100) my veg room is small so just using 1 for a space a bit bigger than 3x3 its something like 38"x45"

this is a GB thread tho, are you looking at those? didn't see it mentioned

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
yeah when i said two of these i was talkin about the greenbeam. I just dont know how 2 would cover a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2, it seems no matter how i put um there would be about 3 square feet not being lit properly,, in the corners or sides.

Scrappy-doo

If I had a 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 space I'd use just one cycloptics unit. I had 4x4 tent with one for veg and it filled it up nicely. Completely different light spread on those, the entire tent will be lit evenly.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Anyone know where cycloptics ship from? Im trying to find a storefront close to sacramento that carries them, called a few places but no luck so far...

timmur

Anyone know where cycloptics ship from? Im trying to find a storefront close to sacramento that carries them, called a few places but no luck so far...

They ship out of GrowersHouse. talk to Nate. I just bought 12 of them. :biggrin:

Two of them in a 4.5 x 4.5 should get you about 580 µmol/m²s.

pulverizer

Newbie lurker here - just ordered a single GB 315 unit from GH with the 4200K for my new garden and am planning to run just one in a 4x4 tent. Intend on using the 942 bulb for both veg and flowering. Do you guys think I am being overly-optimistic thinking this single light will get me a decent yield? This is my first attempt at growing ever, but after doing lots of research I wanted to get something that will give me good results and is energy efficient. I would really be happy with any yield (not killing the plants would be a win!).

All my parts are on order and I am setting up a RDWC system over the next week or so.

Thanks everyone for the awesome info in this thread already. Really helped my decision to pickup the GB unit as opposed to cheaper nanolux/sunsystems/phantom setups.

Latest posts

Latest posts