What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alcoholics who smoke weed every day are healthier

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Medical marijuana is now legal in 29 states, with a laundry list of positive uses including pain control and controlling nausea. But according to a new analysis of hospital discharge records, chronic marijuana use could have another side effect: Preventing liver damage in alcoholics.
A peer-reviewed paper accepted for publication in Liver International journal looked at inpatient discharge data for 320,000 adult patients with a history of alcohol abuse. When comparing the data, researchers found that the 10 percent of alcoholics who also used weed exhibited a lower rate of liver disease of any kind. Alcoholics who were habitual users exhibited an even lower incidence of liver disease than occasional users, strongly suggesting that yes, weed can help prevent liver damage from drinking.
“Our study revealed that among alcohol users, individuals who additionally use cannabis (dependent and non-dependent cannabis use) showed significantly lower odds of developing alcoholic steatosis (AS), steatohepatitis (AH), cirrhosis (AC) and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC),” the study found. “Further, dependent users had significantly lower odds than non-dependent users for developing liver disease.”

As an outcome-based study, it doesn’t speak to how or why cannaboids might help reduce liver damage. However, the authors hypothesize, using animal studies, that cannaboids’ anti-inflammatory properties may reduce inflammation of the liver, reducing long-term damage.
Of course, cannabis use does have its own long-term health effects, mostly related to smoking rather than the THC itself. Without comprehensive data on how cannabis reduces long-term liver damage or the long-term effects of cannabis consumption on its own, you probably won’t find your doctor recommending weed as a companion to boozing just yet.
https://nypost.com/2018/01/29/alcoholics-who-smoke-weed-every-day-are-healthier/

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
too bad the linked study is behind a paywall, i would have liked to add it to my list.
however this is remarkable news for those afflicted with alcohol abuse who also smoke/imbibe cannabis.
science will help change the dogmatic deception we've all suffered under since criminalizing this wonderful plant.
thanks for your exposition.

~star~crash~

LOL .. back in the day In AA this was called marijuana maintenance ... it was frowned upon by the truly sober members ...

prune

Veteran
thanks, after reading through the rather detailed article it seems that smoking pot reduced almost all possible adverse alcohol-related liver disease by ~50%...

and the more you smoke the better it works!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL .. back in the day In AA this was called marijuana maintenance ... it was frowned upon by the truly sober members ...

would those 'truly sober' members be the same ones sucking down cigarettes, coffee & donuts (nicotine, caffeine & sugar) like the hypocritical addicts they really still are???

AA had no truly sober members, not in NY anyways.......

Stinkhorn123

would those 'truly sober' members be the same ones sucking down cigarettes, coffee & donuts (nicotine, caffeine & sugar) like the hypocritical addicts they really still are???

AA had no truly sober members, not in NY anyways.......

The hypocrisy in AA/NA is dumbfounding.

CaptainDankness

The hypocrisy in AA/NA is dumbfounding.

For real, they act all high and mighty but the junkies are on like 100+ mg's of methadone a day. Trying to tell me they're clean. Lol

I was addicted to opiates before went through hell cold turkey but I'm pretty much clean of course I will do a little opiates occasionally and drink 1-2 times a week. I don't even smoke weed every day most days sure because someone comes over I never turn down weed. Lol, don't really like to smoke too much nothing worse than having a high tolerance I was at the point dabs wouldn't get me stoned like fuck that shit. Lol, much better in moderation smoke a joint and I'm cooked. :joint:

Just love it when I hear people on Suboxone or in the methadone clinic talking down on people for getting high. Lol