What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Police arrest more people for marijuana use than for all violent crimes — combined

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges, according to a report released Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch.
Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails. The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail.
"It's been 45 years since the war on drugs was declared, and it hasn't been a success," lead author Tess Borden of Human Rights Watch said in an interview. "Rates of drug use are not down. Drug dependency has not stopped. Every 25 seconds, we're arresting someone for drug use."
Federal figures on drug arrests and drug use over the past three decades tell the story. Drug-possession arrests skyrocketed, from fewer than 200 arrests for every 100,000 people in 1979 to more than 500 in the mid-2000s. The drug-possession rate has since fallen slightly, according to the FBI, hovering near 400 arrests per 100,000 people.
Defenders of harsh penalties for drug possession say they are necessary to deter people from using drugs and to protect public health.But despite the tough-on-crime push that led to the surge in arrests in recent decades, illicit drug use today is more common among Americans age 12 and older than it was in the early 1980s. Federal figures show no correlation between drug-possession arrests and rates of drug use during that time.
imrs.php

But the ACLU and Human Rights Watch report shows that arrests for drug possession continue to make up a significant chunk of modern-day police work.
"Around the country, police make more arrests for drug possession than for any other crime," the report finds, citing FBI data. "More than one of every nine arrests by state law enforcement is for drug possession, amounting to more than 1.25 million arrests each year."
In fact, police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined.
The report finds that the laws are enforced unequally, too. Over their lifetimes, black and white Americans use illicit drugs at similar rates, according to federal data. But black adults were more than 2½ times as likely to be arrested for drug possession.
MORE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...olent-crimes-combined/?utm_term=.879a61bbd07f

Gross. This graph might be of interest to you.

Despite being sold to the public as a means to stop terrorism, the Patriot Act has been used almost exclusively to catch drug dealers, with very few "sneak & peek" warrants resulting in the arrest of violent criminals or terrorists. 1,618 druggies to 15 terrorists to be precise. No telling what the full tally is by now. That graph is from a few years ago :\

vta

Veteran
Yes we do Gry.

Lets's break that down...

On any given day in the United States, at least 137,000 people sit behind bars on simple drug-possession charges

Yep...everyday, people sit behind bars related to drugs. Okay?

Nearly two-thirds of them are in local jails.

Makes sense, we are talking about 'any given day' right? So...the first day, or 30, are local, right....makes sense.

The report says that most of these jailed inmates have not been convicted of any crime: They're sitting in a cell, awaiting a day in court, an appearance that may be months or even years off, because they can't afford to post bail.

Really? Not buying it...awaiting court but can't afford bail? Sorry, but what does bail have to do with court appearances? I'll tell you, nothing. However, the majority of this stat probably represents people within 24hrs of incarceration...not "convicted" of a crime yet{hence the 'on any giving day" BS}...of course the ACLU would not point that out.

"It's been 45 years since the war on drugs was declared, and it hasn't been a success," lead author Tess Borden of Human Rights Watch said in an interview. "Rates of drug use are not down. Drug dependency has not stopped. Every 25 seconds, we're arresting someone for drug use."

Sounds about right.

In fact, police make more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for all violent crimes combined.

Nobody should go to jail for pot. Or get harassed. Period.

The fact is most people that 'go to jail for pot' are either trafficking or...most likely violating probation...due to a previous criminal charge...

The report finds that the laws are enforced unequally, too. Over their lifetimes, black and white Americans use illicit drugs at similar rates, according to federal data. But black adults were more than 2½ times as likely to be arrested for drug possession.

That is because in black neighborhoods, you see more violent crime. Neighborhoods with more crime..get more police. The cause does not negate the statistic. The statistic speaks to itself.

hockeyblue22

The good thing about living in Northern NJ is that our jails are filled with violent criminals, or burglary, robbery, or simply just non-pot related drug related incidents. Good because the criminals are off the streets, and I agree with the above poster in regards to marijuana related inmates in jail.. it takes a lot of recidivism, breaking probation/parole to get put in the slammer... I know, I was a County Corrections officer for 2+ years.. we never, and if anything RARELY had inmates locked up for marijuana possession... if so it was a LOT and they had gone through court, and sentenced for most likely trafficking.

The bad thing is, the police and law enforcement in the nicer parts of NJ, suburbs, etc.. have nothing to do.. so they LOVE profiling vs potheads. Why? Because it gives the municipalities $$$. Anyone I know arrested for "simple" small possession charges are generally released from their local police department within 2-3 hours on their own recognizance. I've picked up several of my pals from our local police department... still sucks. I used to get pulled over all the time in high school, talking 17-18 years old, yeah we were young, dumb, drove around smoking, luckily if we got pulled over we ate it or ditched it... and as long as you just DENIED DENIED DENIED as the police were always trained to try and get you to ADMIT to just smoking by asking "how long ago did you smoke that marijuana we smell..." yada yada... we always just replied "Never, don't know what you are referring to..." I once told this fathead cop in our town when he said "I see that THC in your eyes!" I replied "What the hell is THC..." and he gave up.

It's sad hearing about people in other states, most particularly the south, Midwest, etc.. where it is not legal or DE-criminalized and the law enforcement is so strict on that damned "Bible-Belt".. jeez they make you feel like you just killed someone, and would probably put you in the same cell as a rapist if you were caught with like an 8th or less.

Jersey is alright, 9 out of 10 judges just laugh at marijuana charges, slap a fine, give you 6-12 months probation, our probation offices are a joke unless you REALLY deserve to be on probation, I was caught with 1 K-pin, ONE! I did not have a prescription at the time, do now, but the two police officers that pulled me over and searched me because they thought they smelled something.. which I was NOT even smoking at the time, hadn't for a few weeks actually.... were basically high fiving themselves when they found the pill that was lodged in my passanger seat. I won't deny that it was probably mine, hell if I knew it was there I would have ate it before the damned ride ffs. These clowns had to look it up on their cell phones to make sure it was a "controlled substance", once they figured out what it was cuffed me. Thanks Pill ID.com or whatever site....

These corny local cops need 2-3 cars to back them up before approaching a car of teenagers they suspect of ANYTHING, and I'm talking 2-3 whiteboys driving around white suburbia... so imagine how trigger happy they are when they pull over minorities, they basically need SWAT by their side, or at least a few superior officers.

I was released after not even 1 hour when I got arrested, they breathalyzed me, I passed, their machine was actually broken as I blew a BAC % of .9%, 0%, 1.5%, none of the numbers made any sense, they said I had to of been on something to make their machine wacky because it was just "maintained" within 6 months, yeah alright, regardless it was deemed INVALID. Their shift was ending, they asked if I would sign a sheet agreeing to go to the County Lab for urine/blood, I asked them if they were serious.. they said "Just sign it, our shifts done we ain't bringing you..." as much as I didn't believe them and thought I was duped, the other shift had started and these guys didn't want to do paperwork or work OT... I called my parents, they came and got me.... when court came, the judge and prosecutor were like LOL.... 1 pill? ONE? Is this quantity correct? As for the DUI, they agreed the state of NJ did not have enough evidence to prosecute, I was cooperative, and dismissed the charge. I got 12 months probation, paid my fine ASAP at the window, went to probation, was clean, got cotton swabbed, and my P.O. who was a pretty nice elderly lady told me to get my "white ass out of there"... not kidding.

They've got enough to deal with in regards to harder drugs, yeah I had a pill illegally, ONE pill, it wasn't like I was going around selling or popping the suckers, I legitemately have anxiety and have had a prescription for almost 10+ years... as much as I hate it, it has helped with my anxiety and Post Law Enforcement Mental Issues, I was diagnosed with PTSD by a few quacks, but I don't agree. It also didn't hurt me while STILL getting arrested when I told the two officers I used to be a County Corrections Officer, they were like "Ohh why didn't you say so earlier..." I just replied "I'm a regular person now..." and they kinda felt bad to be honest, but F them.. still cost me like $2-3K in legal fees/fines... bastards. And that's how NJ makes it's money!

Last edited: