What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tired of having to fight gnats every time you get a brick of coco?

woodchuck3232

Had the Problem With very cheap Coco bricks. I just expanded Them With lots of boiling water. Kills all dormant eggs. Then Fluh with ph'ed water AT 6ph. Also you might want to add neemoil with early waterings just in case

waveguide

Veteran
sewer lines > gnats.

if you have problems with gnats, i strongly suggest starting seeds away from other plants, drains, anywhere with air movement connecting to areas with plants or drains.

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
Just got some nematodes and sticky traps

I got u sb, get yourself some sevin concentrate. It's carbaryl, (nasty stuff) but that's fine because it's non systemic and for our purposes today we won't be atomizing:)water in 5ml/gal till you get runoff (treat everything at the same time) three times three days apart in conjunction with boiling all new coco bricks and throwing out all unused hydrated coco on hand. Good luck homie I no longer have any troubles, any time they pop up, they're gone in a week

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
With that you can treat up to harvest without contaminating buds because the adults only live a few days and carbaryl targets larvae. You spread out your soaks on every single plant longer than the span of the flyers and treat three times. Since you can treat your flowering room, you won't encounter the difficulty most pesticides cause perpetual farmers

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Im perpetual too, I glad I picked up the nematodes. Imma let you all know gow effective they are.

The plan is to make the nematode tea.Since I have a million Im gonna split it into 2 or 3 applications. After the first application I will place the traps all around, then shake the plants to release the fliers.

After 1 week Ill reinnoculate the medium.

This has got to cut down on them. I m not tottally sure they are coming from the coco, so here is where Im at.

What ya'll think?

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
I think nematodes are expensive, slow acting, and ultimately a control not an eradicaton. Sevin Concentrate..... $20, two app eradication in veg and flower.... $priceless

onavelzy

Veteran
consider using a top layer of diatomaceous earth instead of hydroton or perlite. it serves as a mechanical barrier to prevent the flies from accessing the soil to lay new eggs. it also acts to kill insect pests of all kinds, both soft and hard bodied, by puncturing their exoskeletons. 50lb bag is $24 on amazon, allowing you to apply a liberal top layer with each transplant or when washed away by watering

air pots would defeat the mechanical denial approach however

Last edited:
Tried the top layer if DE. One inch thick. It's messy. And would dry out and get big cracks. Then the gnats just travel through the cracks.
The product Gnatnix works better. $50 for an about 3cu ft bag.
Made from recycled glass.
This really cut down on them. But, believe it or not, some small number of gnats survive in the GnatNix.
GnatNix along with Azamax in a spray bottle is my current regimen. But, it still a constant battle.

Nichead

Nobody here uses gnatrol then? I can't see why. It's good stuff. A teaspoon per 5 gallons is more than enough, and if you're using an aerated reservoir, a 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gallons (because you'll brew it in the res).

It adds a bacteria to the soil that eats larvae. Maybe if you believe you have beneficial larval organisms... Is that it? A little goes a long way, so it costs less than some fertilizers, and it works. I haven't had gnats in years.

I've had gnats for a couple years now, I too blame the coco. Sticky traps sure help but I haven't managed to get rid of them using traps, gnat nix, mosquito dunks, a bti product called vectobac, infrequent watering. I pour about 30 litres of boiling water through every 50 litre bag before using, then apply aforementioned products and still have a few here and there. Would rather have mites, they piss off with just one application of abamectin

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
There's plenty of people out there with similar parameters as myself, with the resistant gnats. Microbe lift bti had some effect for me, but it needed to be used constantly and wasn't a complete eradication. Expanding coco with boiling water keeps them from ever making it near my roots, making pythium a distant memory, so I'd recommend at least looking into boiling and soaking with carbaryl. This regimen has been complete eradication. Haven't seen a gnat since I was slacking in june

brown_thumb

* subscribed *

I'm looking for alternatives to H2O2 and neem. I've been fighting gnats forever. I'd rather not use H2O2 because it kills other beneficial creatures. I've been using neem oil occasionally but it too harms the good guys. I recently mixed neem powder at double the recommended amount in the top inch of soil. Plus, I've been using a liquid form of BTI (Microbe Lift) every other watering. I'm still finding the damn gnats.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i grow in 4 x 4 tents and i've been running coco hempy buckets for close to 8 years and while gnats are indeed a recurring issue, sticky traps have ALWAYS worked for me to TOTALLY eradicate each new infestation, they take about 2 weeks to do the job but they have always worked for me.

...and there are zero sticky trap resistant gnats, period.

peace, bozo

StankyBeamer

Professional A$$hole
...i grow in 4 x 4 tents and i've been running coco hempy buckets for close to 8 years and while gnats are indeed a recurring issue, sticky traps have ALWAYS worked for me to TOTALLY eradicate each new infestation, they take about 2 weeks to do the job but they have always worked for me.

...and there are zero sticky trap resistant gnats, period.

peace, bozo

The problem with this is that it's not the adults that are harmful, and stickys will never fully eradicate larvae because the life cycle of the gnat is spent mostly as larvae, they live a month and only have wings for a few days. So even if you don't see any flying, there are still more than likely larvae in your coco. They might not be in high enough numbers to stress your grow from them chewing on roots but eventually you're gonna get pythium from them. The best way to be is thorough, and trusting adults to all fly into sticky traps without laying any eggs at all is just not thorough. Did I mention adults lay literally hundreds of eggs apiece? So even if your traps miss one, it's laying a whole new colony in a day. Carbaryl is cheap and non-systemic, boiling water is next to free, and the peace of mind of never having to worry about root rot and viruses from pests is priceless

I tried Gnatrol. I got it from the guy on amazon who sells it be the pound.
Even with steady use in the rez, gnats were too heavy.

I think if you go with coco, your going to have to figure out a way to deal with gnats.

Latest posts

Latest posts