What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been growing for 12 years and done side by sides with everything and nothing works better than the sun..... but for indoors the best thing is these new Full spectrum HPS bulbs. My resin production has never been higher. My leaves fold up with frost and all but my longest stemmed fanned leaves frost up. Also my plants purple better too!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I have been growing for 12 years and done side by sides with everything and nothing works better than the sun..... but for indoors the best thing is these new Full spectrum HPS bulbs. My resin production has never been higher. My leaves fold up with frost and all but my longest stemmed fanned leaves frost up. Also my plants purple better too!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=4520&pictureid=875487View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=4520&pictureid=876565View Image

What bulbs are you using Hash Zep?

vapedg13

Veteran
mh produces the shit tooo...sylvania bt56....$22 a bulb....bulbs give a yellowish glow

purplewidow.jpg

008-14.jpg

crystal.jpg

the gnome

Veteran
vaped13, killer work on the other page with the room full and the umbrella hoods,
are you using the sylvania's in that big room also and whats the K rating on those bulbs?
what strain are you growing

hashZ, what strain is that?

I'm a firm believer that resin production is 1st and foremost is dependent on genetics and believe after that a healthy plant and from there we can tweak things with light and fertz

most excellent and very informative post Drshio :good:
and falls in line with my beliefs about the genetics and resin production.
I posted this in nutes

I believe the use of HPS stems from outdated lore. People started using them when indoor growing first started because they had the highest output of any bulb available, in the best spectrum (metal halides were junk). The metal halide technology has progressed considerably since then and has far surpassed the HPS.

People think that stretch happens during flower because they switch their plants from MH to HPS and their plants freak out because the HPS lacks so much spectrum. What the plants are really doing is trying to find the light (even though HPS provides a lot of light, it is not in the right spectrum the plant wants).

But here is the reality:

Each plant is bred a certain way and has genetic predispositions. Therefore the light the plant wants will highly depend on its breeder and genetics. If the breeder selected for largest yield using only HPS, then the plant will likely do best in all HPS. This is the same for fertiization - if the breeder selected for which plant thrived most using synthetics, it will perform best with synthetics - if the breeder used organics, it will perform best with organics.

EDIT: Also, I think that dual-arc bulbs are a sham - you only get a 600W HPS and a 400W MH in a bulb - now place that at 1000W distance (due to 1000W heat) and the light hitting the plants is WEAK. Its like using a 400W MH next to a 600W HPS 18-24in from the plant, not okay.

vapedg13

Veteran
vaped13, killer work on the other page with the room full and the umbrella hoods,
are you using the sylvania's in that big room also and whats the K rating on those bulbs?

thanks man.... 25+ yrs growin different ways.....now I'm usin sylvania bt56 bulbs 4000k MH for all my grows

thats was pre98 bubba kush... pulled around 12 lbs off that room... 50 plants in 6.5 quart potters... 15 x 18 room

this is another room with double diesel... 25 plants... 5 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters... room was 10 x 10

113.jpg

116-1.jpg

115.jpg

hereigrow

Idk what some of u guys r talking about. Rule of thumb is and always has been MH or flourescent for veg and HPS for bloom. Hortilux HPS r the bees knees for flowering period. I've never strayed from certain things I learned in Mel Frank's book all them years ago.

It just seems like there is a lot of people looking for that edge that noone else has figured out yet. All the additives , wierd light configurations and photoperiods ect. Genetics r a major part of resin production, light spectrum is important as well but geneticsfirst and foremost.

Oh and don't get me wrong I'm all for innovation and experimenting but if it ain't broke why mess with it. I'm HPS for life in bloom .

well I use both mh and hps, the hps does seem to yield better but the ones under the mh seem to be denser and maybe higher quality. nothing definitive here but I think they both have their place.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

hashZ, what strain is that?

most excellent and very informative post Drshio :good:
and falls in line with my beliefs about the genetics and resin production.
I posted this in nutes

the strain is called asteroid, pheno type Lime-warp. it is from one of my friends on here.

As far as resin production that is all about tuning your strain and environment to work together. I make everything I grow that frosty or frostier when they are dialed in. That was only my second run with her.

I can get Mexican bag seed to look that dank. Its about having the right culture in the water or soil, combined with keeping the ph in the roots perfect, combined with perfect atmosphere. I am still getting my atmosphere perfect but in the winter it is PERFECT. I use general hydroponics as my base nutrients. Then I add B'cause bloom which is awesome. I add carbo load which is sugar aka carbs. The bateria in the b'cause bloom eats the sugar and makes a byproduct that brakes everything down and makes like a hydroponic compost that makes my plants smells and tastes as good as out door organics. I also flush for 7-14 days changing water ever day. I add silicon in veg and flower which makes stronger plants, that are also more elastic when bent. Meaning they will bend instead of brake.

I also give the ladies an hour of sun up and an hour of sun down where they receive indirect light. this causes more frost and better calax expansion in indicas i find. sativas like the full sun though.

the gnome

Veteran
I use vert bulbs no hoods or cool tubes, Lumatek super lumens digi ballasts and 1000 watt lumatek professional lighting bulbs.

thanks HZ, but can you go a bit further with the
info the bulbs?? K rating? hps/Mh... wattage,,, etc etc????

edited for:
sorry , not sure if lumatek only makes one type of bulb or wattage etc etc

thanks ma man!

DrShio

Absolutely amazing.

Vapedg13 - lights look high in the pics. Do you vary the light height based on flower week or were they just up high for the pic?

vapedg13

Veteran
Absolutely amazing.

Vapedg13 - lights look high in the pics. Do you vary the light height based on flower week or were they just up high for the pic?

thanks man....I have them on the adjustable hangers...raised the lights for the photos and waterings.

I have a 12 inch no fly zone :biggrin: I go by the back of my hand... if its hot then the leaves are hot

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks HZ, but can you go a bit further with the
info the bulbs?? K rating? hps/Mh... wattage,,, etc etc????

edited for:
sorry , not sure if lumatek only makes one type of bulb or wattage etc etc

thanks ma man!

It is called Lumatek professional lighting 1000 watt HPS high par out put. which means I can run it on a digi lumatek ballast with super lumens. meaning it runs at 1100 watts per bulb.

The box says.
-horticulture specific
-optimized spectrum for maximum photo synthesis.
-strengthened seals and reinforced arc frames
-stable lumen out put.
-Initial Luminous Flux (lm) 145,000
-Luminous Efficiency (lm/w) 150
-Color Temperature (k) 2,100
-PAR (umol/s) 1,798
-Photo Flux (phyto-lm) 290,000

....and here is my ballasts
Flux_Capacitor_Time_Machine_by_cavemanmac.jpg

jk

this is my ballasts
http://www.lumatek.co.uk/index.php/products/electronic-ballasts.html

LK1TH240_1KwDim_blst.png

1000W_control_S.jpg

1000w 240v

Key Specifications/Special Features:

Electronic ballast for 1000w, 750w or 600w HPS lamp or 1000w or 600w MH lamp
Voltage: 220-240V 50/60Hz
Current: 4.50A
Input power: 1060W
Output power: 1000W
Power factor: >0.99
Voltage range: 165 to 265V
THD: <10%
Lamp CCF: <1.7
Operating frequency: high frequency
No audible noise, no flicker
Environment temperature: -25 to 50°C (-13 to 122°F)
Ta 30°C 86°F
Tc 70°C 158°F

To light a 1000W lamp; set control to 1000W and boost output by 10% by switching to 'Super Lumens' or dim down to 750W or 600W.

hereigrow

Holy Moly! Vapedg13 that garden is sick! I'm envious, making me want to eat my words..do you have a thread with more details on your garden?.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope ...I mean 6.5 quart bro... little over 1- 1/2 gallon...Get um at homedepot....10 inch plastic tapered terra potters $3

View Image

That really is a kick ass grow man! great yields as well.

That's what I love about growing. you come across so many different people that do things differently but very successfully and you get to learn from them. then you get to share your ideas and they learn too. In the end everybody wins with the friendly sharing of grow info!

Latest posts

Latest posts