What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective

chileno1978

It work 100%

Initial parameters Tap Water

PH: 7,4
uS: 350

After Mr. Clean

PH: 5,8
uS: 7 (yeah SEVEN)

Amazing!

Anyways a RO and Dionizer sistem with 0 ppm and 100 galons per day cost arround 80 bucks...(just bought it)

M

MykeeGee

Basically, de-ionized water, right?

Basically, de-ionized water, right?

I Googled de-ionizer and I found this thread. I was intrigued, as I have a Mr. Clean auto wash. Then I looked at Google once, again and I found info that Mr. Clean auto was was basically, a de-ionizer. Well, we have a Pur faucet filter and it appears, to me, that it is also, a de-ionizer. I have a 30 gal. fresh water aquarium, that has been running for many years, which I occasionally, get plant water from, and I went to the on line retailer that I go to for aquarium supplies, and found 'Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' Tap Water Filter.
I figured that these 2 marketed products might, be a solution to some, also.

M

MykeeGee

Pure Water

Pure Water

I am considering getting this 'API' 'Tap Water Filter' from my pet store, instead of using my 'Pur' kitchen faucet filter or using my Aquarium water. Once I have De-Ionized water, and minerals are removed, how, or what needs to be used, do I replace the good / necessary minerals that were removed? I plan to use a PH down to get water down from 7.5ish to near 6.0 - 6.5; checked after any fertilizer is added to my water, or just, the de-ionized water if I do not add any fertilizer.

unclejersey04

Hey man thanks for the information I am hoping to get some type of reverse osmosis system to get the aluminum and other metals out of my drinking water. I live in Rockland County, NY and always feel like loads of crap is put in our water and really pisses me off. Anyway, I've been trying desperately to try and figure something out. Is that machine safe for drinking water? Cause I see you use it for plants. Really appreciate your help. Thank you. Can you possible reply to my email please- - it is meier04@gmail.com - -thank you!

unclejersey04

The water seems like it would be much more pure from your system my only concern is the plastic bucket the water would be inside of. Did you test more BPA or other plastic residue in the water? Which water purity testing system do use? Thanks again.

chefbudz

I LOVE IT!! today i realized a normal pitcher style water filter removed 5 tds from my tap water but brought it from 8.0 to 6.5?? idk why but i am useing it befor i bubble my water from now on

unclejersey04

Hey man thanks for the information I am hoping to get some type of reverse osmosis system to get the aluminum and other metals out of my drinking water. I live in Rockland County, NY and always feel like loads of crap is put in our water and really pisses me off. Anyway, I've been trying desperately to try and figure something out. Is that machine safe for drinking water? Cause I see you use it for plants. Really appreciate your help. Thank you. Can you possible reply to my email please- - it is meier04@gmail.com - -thank you!

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
I freely admit that I have no idea whatsoever if it has any bearing on waters suitability for human consumption. However, true RO systems are cheap enough to where almost anyone should be able to set up a small one for drinking and cooking water. And as mentioned above, even a Brita type pitcher does fine for that application for pennies a day.