What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
BigBlack81 has a valid idea and cautionary comment, namely, he is waiting to pass judgement, "pending third party confirmation."

I know a few folks have either posted or PM'ed me stating they already had a Mr Clear unit or were getting one. If this is the case, could you please post a quick reply here once you get a chance to measure the quality of your output?

Of course it goes without saying that you shouldn't use a filter that's already washed both your cars, your motorcycle, the kid's PowerWheels, your wife's SUV, hosed down the deck furniture for spring, and lent to the neighbor to get that dank smell off his dog that's always sniffing around your garden!

Last edited:

vavwl

Nice idea.. I recently bought a RO unit off ebay for really cheap. It works great and all, but it does take awhile to filter the water which requires a lot forethought on my part. I imagine this thing filters the water very fast as well?

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
researchOnly said:
pipedream.... I'm assuming I will need water presure to run properly ... I live in an apartment, how can I run a hose to this thing..

this is an icemaker install kit from lowes or homdepot. the easiest way to add water to any room, closet or cabinet is to put a "tee" on the water line that feeds the toilet or icemaker depending which is easier to access and run this flexible food grade line to you filter, nozzle or float valve. it comes with the saddle mount, if you want to permanently tap into a pipe like under a sink(not reccomended)

btw great idea for a simple effective filter for small grows!
:wave:

G

TD........You just keep comin up with em huh?........

TD........You just keep comin up with em huh?........

Something so simple yet overlooked by or rather never discussed here or any of the other 6 sites I visit till you bring it to the forefront........Killer info again dewd..........Excellent for the transient remodeling grow-to-grow op moving from one to the next with simple cleanup and quick fix.......You get serious clout for that one my buddy.........Peace.......DHF.......... :sasmokin:

G

Excuse me for not givin respect for the thread that was started and ingeniously done with"keepin it simple "............Peace........DHF.......

Pipedream

Veteran
:rasta:
Hey all, Two different people sent me a PM asking the same question and stating that their Mr Clean pieces looked different when opened. Specifically the green hose connector. I assure you they are exactly the same piece. I just used a hacksaw and cut an inch or so off the end to make it shorter. This way there was less stress on the connections. I changed nothing else, and could have used it exactly as it was. Just wanted to clear this up in case anyone else thought the same.

Regards, PD

S

stoned teacher

Hope this is confirmed. I think this would benefit the majority of growers on here. Most of us, I believe, don't need 15 gallons a day but one or two...

Awesome a must buy...

stevr59

The Dopest said:

this is an icemaker install kit from lowes or homdepot. the easiest way to add water to any room, closet or cabinet is to put a "tee" on the water line that feeds the toilet or icemaker depending which is easier to access and run this flexible food grade line to you filter, nozzle or float valve. it comes with the saddle mount, if you want to permanently tap into a pipe like under a sink(not reccomended)

btw great idea for a simple effective filter for small grows!
:wave:
man, i am a plumber and i have change out a many a saddle clamp man they don't llast long before they start leaking. if you got to tap into the line easiest way would be to change out the stop with a 2 way stop only take about 2 mins to replace the old stop with a new one, but fastest way would be like pipe dream said get a facet adapter

Pipedream

Veteran
I don't have any way to test the effect it may or not have on chlorine. However, chlorine is the easiest thing to remove from water. Any one of the following three things will remove it completely... Active Aeration, Exposure to Light, or Just Leaving it in an Open Container for an Extended Period of Time.

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
stevr59 said:
man, i am a plumber and i have change out a many a saddle clamp man they don't llast long before they start leaking. if you got to tap into the line easiest way would be to change out the stop with a 2 way stop only take about 2 mins to replace the old stop with a new one, but fastest way would be like pipe dream said get a facet adapter

read the last sentence that you quoted me, "it comes with the saddle mount, if you want to permanently tap into a pipe like under a sink(not reccomended)"

not reccomended, the way i reccomend is to swap out the union for a "tee".

Pipedream

Veteran
Folks, The whole idea here is to have a protable unit that requires NO INSTALLATION AT ALL. This is for a grower with small needs. Believe me, if you are considering modifying your pipes, or even adding an inexpensive saddle valve, this is NOT the unit for you. You should be looking at one of the lower-end true Reverse Osmosis filtration systems. My intent was to offer an alternative, just for those that were not in a position to install something. The beauty here is to replace the lugging of gallon containers from the supermarket, not 55 gallon drums or 18 gallon tubs. Hook it up to your garden hose, washing machine spigot, kitchen or bathroom faucet, use it for 10 minutes and then throw it in the drawer till next time.

agent 420

awsome info PD. This is right up my alley.
All the innovative ideas that come from the members of this site are truly amazing. Its so simple.
Keep up the good work and great ideas coming.

stevr59

my bad dopest i didn't catch the last part. but hey i did see to day that pep boys has this units on sale for 9.99 after rebates.