What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedling burnt tips & yellow cotyledon?!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll, I planted this as a seed 2 weeks ago yesterday. The seeds are a liberty haze x amnesia haze accidental cross. This is how it looks today. I noticed that the cotyledons are already yellowing and at the same time, there is nutrient burn on the leaf tip? It's in the same soil I've been using almost a year now, local grow shop organic mix. All the other strains that came up look fine, but the 2 haze hybrids are both yellow cotyledons but also nutrient burn. Is it just super sensitive to the nitrogen levels? I know the pic sucks also, hopefully it conveys enough.
picture.php

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The more NLD leaning the genetics, the less nutrients they seem to require. I've run strains which burn in 50/50 Happy Frog and Jiffy seedling mix. heh

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The part that doesn't make sense to me is the burn, but the cotyledons are yellowing. So it's receiving too much of something, but not enough of something else, probably nitrogen, with the way they are yellowing.

scrogrow

Flush it bro! Little week maybe? I think it's a case of the soil is to spicey for the little fellas man!

Lech a bit out the soil and see how they react man

Nameste

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Wow 2 weeks? I feel like all my cotyledons last a lot longer than that. I have a few pictures of the plants 8 inches tall with 4-5 nodes that still have them attached. So okay that explains the cotyledons if they are normally only around that long, what about the nutrient burn at the tips? It's only affecting those 2 plants out of roughly 10, so I guess that strain is just a picky eater? And thank you all for responses.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Cotyledons will be long gone before your plants are ready.

Stop fussing over nothing. :biggrin:

BTW: Haze plants are sensitive to nutrients especially nitrogen so slow down on the feeding.
I'm not fussing trout, I was bored :p I gotta find the pictures man cause when I was in coco, I swear I had cotyledon all through veg too. And Haze picky eaters, information I should file away some place.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Wow 2 weeks? I feel like all my cotyledons last a lot longer than that. I have a few pictures of the plants 8 inches tall with 4-5 nodes that still have them attached. So okay that explains the cotyledons if they are normally only around that long, what about the nutrient burn at the tips? It's only affecting those 2 plants out of roughly 10, so I guess that strain is just a picky eater? And thank you all for responses.

Here's my most recent group of seedlings at two weeks, give or take a day. The one to the right clearly has spent cotyledons. Some of the others do as well, but the angle is off to capture that.

picture.php

But yeah, it could just be a genetic sensitivity to the provided environment expressing itself. But observing and making distinctions in differences is a good thing for a grower, especially when changing up a system. So being new to soil, your concern is a positive, I think. Keep observing...

Best of luck with the transition.

Dr Watt

Who What
You mentioned re-using Coco media - it comes with food packed in so that was lower. The plants look too wet - just watered, take a while to dry out so, wet run at that size, wetness always causes leaves like that, and if you don't think it can be the start of a problem, you wrong, think it could be the start of a problem and then you're right. At the start of a table I'd give 5med or 15smalls about 90ml/90ml grow (180ml / 5) = 36ml grow food per plant (12ml small) > translated to this size it'd be about 4ml pp > 2ml/2ml A+B which is enough for 1/2 litre of solution (or 1 litre 1/2 strength) - if you aerated this water and fed it to the plants at full strength with no runoof - I'd work - I reckon :joint:

Dr Watt

Who What
You know you're right. I write this.. to remember... (arghh memory). Yeh, past success of 2005 , and the losses of the last 2.5. I don't employ this method, yet,

About 9 months ago, I fed some regens 100% food for too long - concept being - TOTAL FOOD or rather a total food medium is watt I thought. Well, it worked, regen in RW, not so dissimilar to coco (when in a pot). Ran into low food and thought giving 60 litres of 800ppm food to 5 medium sized plants (good size) every 10 days.

I was getting yellow and it's often water and it often passes as they size up. Next is way too complicated to explain, it's root dependant but any theories could be debunked when you see it occur in different scenarios. I did add rtx, not much, and this could have exacerbated the scenario. But basically, you can add more food and then wash it out, even though this will give you a 'wet' start, you kinda tied to hand watering again and again until sizing up....

Chow for now
The Prince of Pebble
Commissioner of Clay
Hydroton Lord
Ball Master

Who What

:tree:

Last edited:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm new to growing over all, it's only been 2 years now, so all information is welcome :) First year was coco, then I moved to organic soil mix from local grow house. The picture looks wet because yeah I literally just watered the plant, it's pretty much the only time I'm in the grow room anymore. Thank you for the pic Shmavis! I think what is happening is normally I go from rapid rooter, directly into my larger pot so I rarely see the yellowed cotyledons so quickly. This time I ran out of 3 gallon pots, and had to put it into those little 5 inch pots instead.

unnamedmike

hey Agent:tiphat: If they lose cotyledons so young it's not because of genetics. They seem a bit overfed, maybe that's it, some do not need nuts (my destroyer I think it's over fertilized if I fart too close). It sounds great liberty * amnesia, I hope you do photos. What bank is the amnesia?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
hey Agent:tiphat: If they lose cotyledons so young it's not because of genetics. They seem a bit overfed, maybe that's it, some do not need nuts (my destroyer I think it's over fertilized if I fart too close). It sounds great liberty * amnesia, I hope you do photos. What bank is the amnesia?
Hey mike! I also think that soil is a bit hot for them, but hopefully they will man/woman up and take it! :D The haze is an accidental Liberty Haze mom and RQS Amnesia Haze dad cross. The seeds are very vigorous, 2 days after planting I had a seedling to move up to a pot. I have 21 seeds left as well, so I'm excited to see what I can do with them.:woohoo:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I'm new to growing over all, it's only been 2 years now, so all information is welcome :) First year was coco, then I moved to organic soil mix from local grow house. The picture looks wet because yeah I literally just watered the plant, it's pretty much the only time I'm in the grow room anymore. Thank you for the pic Shmavis! I think what is happening is normally I go from rapid rooter, directly into my larger pot so I rarely see the yellowed cotyledons so quickly. This time I ran out of 3 gallon pots, and had to put it into those little 5 inch pots instead.

A picture’s worth a thousand words and whatnot.

Meant to say that sharing the pic was also to show less than perfect seedlings that turned into nice looking plants because I didn’t fret over them (too much ;)). I have no experience with coco but putting a rooted rapid rooter into 3g of soil is asking a lot. Sounds like starting small and up-potting is new to you, even more so than growing in soil. I think in the end you’ll be glad you happened to be out of 3g containers and went into 5” pots instead.

Freshly watered you say. Let her dry out so that her roots start to stretch in search of. Get a feel for a watered weight versus a dry weight. No reason to think she won't pull through at this point.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
A picture’s worth a thousand words and whatnot.

Meant to say that sharing the pic was also to show less than perfect seedlings that turned into nice looking plants because I didn’t fret over them (too much ;)). I have no experience with coco but putting a rooted rapid rooter into 3g of soil is asking a lot. Sounds like starting small and up-potting is new to you, even more so than growing in soil. I think in the end you’ll be glad you happened to be out of 3g containers and went into 5” pots instead.

Freshly watered you say. Let her dry out so that her roots start to stretch in search of. Get a feel for a watered weight versus a dry weight. No reason to think she won't pull through at this point.
Yeah I'm not worried about the seedlings at all, I have just never noticed them yellow that fast that was all. All the ones that got up potted to 3g were autoflowers so they were going into their last pots. I only up pot autos once. The 5 inch ones were both the only photo periods, so I figured they would be fine in smaller pots till they got some legs and I can clone them to sex them. Then they will get up potted a few times on their trip to the flower tent. And I appreciate the information, but wet/dry cycle is pretty basic stuff :) My last grow were directly from rapid rooter into 3g fabric pots and I think it turned out okay :D
picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts