What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is the legal cannabis industry just a changing of the guard?

shaggyballs

Veteran
I see it this way.

The only reason cannabis is still growing in the USA is because of illegal growers saying*FU to the govt.
Now they are taking all the hard work these people went to jail to protect.

The same folks that sent you to prison now want your tighly held cuts and seeds to increase profit for stockholders.

This is not some dude that wants your cuts to finally have some top shelf to show off to friends and family.

The caregivers AKA ex-illegal growers are the only thing keeping legal cannabis going here in michigan.

So the theme I see here is give us all your genetics, set us up with enough weed to get going.

Then once we can run things without you, we will cut you out completly

While I do support the caregivers in my state I myself do not profit from cannabis.

geneva_sativa

Yeah, it sure looks that way,,,

watched the Mountain series NetFux did,,, what a sensationalized piece of crap,,, serving to direct peoples sentiments to exactly that kind of model you mention Shaggy,,, and also serving exactly the kind of elitist schmucks associated with NetFux

but listen clearly to Sherriff Honsal in the last episode saying how they will bring the hammer down on anyone not sanctioned by the state, county, fda, etc

Gry

Postings by others here over the years would appear to describe exactly that scenario.
Sure wish your track record on this subject was not as accurate as is.

shaggyballs

Veteran
but listen clearly to Sherriff Honsal in the last episode saying how they will bring the hammer down on anyone not sanctioned by the state, county, fda, etc

The war on Cannabis is going to get bigger than ever.
The FDA has started its crackdown on CBD oil.
You really don't want to mess with the tax man.
The IRS is a police power to avoid!
Many have died at the hands of the tax man.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Postings by others here over the years would appear to describe exactly that scenario.
Sure wish your track record on this subject was not as accurate as is.

No Joke. I think his new nickname should be Nostrapotus.

Drewsif

I'm not a genetics dude, growing from bagseed and all, but it really pisses me off to see cherished cuts held by giant producers in med states where personal growing is illegal within 25 miles of a dispensary. Even more so when the cuts are beyond garbage,totally unsmokable tainted crap I've never experienced before. Who the fuck gave a 40 acre greenhouse, ran by a tomatoe industry villain in bumfuck Southern Arizona, a cut of BTY, Josh D, TK, etc only for the shit to be covered in IPM sprays and fed some artificial blueberry scent?

The corporate sponsored government had 75 years to figure it out. They've dropped enough hints along the way, that the problem with Cannabis in their eyes was that big money enterprise did not understand its popularity or usefulness, nor how to first monopolize and then exploit it. And not holding that information scared the hell out of them.

Look at the demonization of natural opium, and it's subsequent replacement with pill addiction. That one was easy for them. Cannabis has been a real challenge, but when I lived in Az I saw a new type of Cannabis consumer that I was unaware of previously and it tells me exactly what the future is. When you buy a purp, an Og a Nebula and a Haze, and all four are legit cuts yet have an overwhelming synthetic banana perfume smell added to them, and people gobble the shit up? Medical marijuana is a testing grounds, data aggregate and a genetic buffet for DEA/pharma.

shaggyballs

Veteran
We are currently confronted with a gigantic rat race whose sole purpose is to imprison cannabis in legal, biotechnological, industrial shackles at the service of the Pharmacocratic Mafia, and therefore at the service of the Banks.

Amynamous

While I empathize and appreciate all of the underground growers who have made a living growing/providing weed, the times are changing. I do not drink budweiser, but i am thankful that beer is legal, and am also thankful that when i go to the store to buy beer, i have a wide selection to choose from. Simply put, expect the budweiserification to happen to weed.

For 50 years, we have been screaming at the govt to legalize, regulate and tax. That is what’s happening now, and i am happy about it. I LOVE being able to walk into a store and have a dozen strains to choose from. I grow more than enough to fit my needs, but cant help but go to dispensaries to try different strains. It is a blessing!

While I understand that change can be difficult, embrace it. There is a plethora of new opportunities in the “legal weed” biz. With your skills and abilities at growing, harvesting and curing, you can make a nice living, and help shape the new industry.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I myself will only be satisfied if all parts of the plant and right to grow, posess and sell are equally legal for everybody. I refuse to accept the concept the having a permission slip somehow makes cannabis safer for anyone.

shaggyballs

Veteran
While I empathize and appreciate all of the underground growers who have made a living growing/providing weed, the times are changing.
If you look close enough you will see real facts that those same growers are the only reason that legalization was given the ear of state Govt. .
I do not drink budweiser, but i am thankful that beer is legal, and am also thankful that when i go to the store to buy beer, i have a wide selection to choose from.
Simply put, expect the budweiserification to happen to weed.

Unfortunatly I agree, I said that in 2014, but why does that have to mean stamp out all the craft growers who know this plant better than anyone.

For 50 years, we have been screaming at the govt to legalize, regulate and tax. That is what’s happening now, and i am happy about it. I LOVE being able to walk into a store and have a dozen strains to choose from. I grow more than enough to fit my needs, but cant help but go to dispensaries to try different strains. It is a blessing!
This is a nice feature but there is so much more to it than just that.

While I understand that change can be difficult, embrace it.
Even if we don't like it, that is silly advice, my advice is to not embrace what you don't approve of.
Or are you suggesting we should conform

There is a plethora of new opportunities in the “legal weed” biz. With your skills and abilities at growing, harvesting and curing, you can make a nice living, and help shape the new industry.

Well I think it may be a good idea to check the facts here, industry turnaround is high, workers are unhappy, worked long and hard for very low pay.
And BTW
I am a retired union carpenter superintendent/General Foreman, so you see my skills may be different than the image your thoughts are creating about me.

I am not in need of work but thank you for the advice.:biggrin:

cryptop

Well I think it may be a good idea to check the facts here, industry turnaround is high, workers are unhappy, worked long and hard for very low pay.
And BTW
I am a retired union carpenter superintendent/General Foreman, so you see my skills may be different than the image your thoughts are creating about me.

I am not in need of work but thank you for the advice.:biggrin:

So true. It's enraging seeing all of these disingenuous "academies/classes/certifications/etc" promising you a $300k master grower job if you pay $2k to learn about NPK for a day. Meanwhile there are grows on the west coast already using illegal labor.

They will hire an expert, promise them a high salary, and keep them onboard for a few months so they can write out competent SOP's. Then after those are done, they fire the expert, the employees with zero experience screw up the operations, and the process repeats.

shaggyballs

Veteran
More and more it looks like hand over your cannabis and move over Big AG is here.
Anyone else see it this way?