What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Premixing nutes with raising pH water?

ChillinjAh

Hey all. So my water supply has hard water, so whenever I adjust pH it tends to shift 7-8ph depending on the season. So I just mix everything before watering. My question is can I just mix my nutes beforehand and adjust pH just before watering. I have tried it before and when I put nutes pH drops down to 6.4-6.2 but in 24h it's back to 7-7.5 I'm just worried that some of the salts dissipate and I could loose micro elements or just in general the mix could loose it's chemical stability. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
My first few grows I was using coco, and what I would do was nutrient my 4 gallon water reservoir once a week, or when it ran out, which happened bi-weekly once they were in heavy flower. I started PH'ing when I was mixing the nutrients, but like you say it was climbing back up when it sat around. What I ended up doing was mixing nutrients once a week, but only PH'ing the jug I used to actually feed the plants. It meant having to adjust the PH on 3-5 jugs of water, instead of 1 reservoir, but I always knew I was putting in exactly the PH they wanted. I didn't have any problems with the salts dissipating or anything. I think at the worst they will fall out of solution and you'll end up with "stuff" on the bottom, but if you thoroughly mix it before each feeding you should be fine.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!! :D

I strongly advise using r/o water, or other water with <14ppm when growing cannabis. The number one reason is due to phytoremediation. Predictable and reliable pH is another, and being able to trade reliable advice with other growers is another. :)

Wendull C.

Veteran
Like Mr. Curtis said , and I will add your yields will go up if using ro water in hydro or soil less. I like to use only a chlorine sediment filter when in coco. A lot of guys I know just run tap with coco too. Saves them the mag deficiency you get with out charging your coco properly.

ChillinjAh

Since I'm renting is there a way to connect r/o filter that simple tap water runs through into water reservoir. Because when I watched videos it involves drilling into pipes so it's not ideal. Something like brita water jugs. In Europe it's not so common r/o systems so I have no clue about it.

King Rat

definately get that filter
depending on how big your reservoir is, a r/o filter is easily installed and completely affordable.
look out for home aquaristic r/o filters. they are connected to the regular water tap.
for example a 80€ r/o filter from amazon can supply you about 370L per day

GreenGuy

Yes, you can mix the nutes in the water beforehand, and then adjust PH just prior to irrigation.

Definitely go with reverse osmosis water, if you can, you won't regret it! You won't see the PH drift, like you do with hard water..

Good luck!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Since I'm renting is there a way to connect r/o filter that simple tap water runs through into water reservoir. Because when I watched videos it involves drilling into pipes so it's not ideal. Something like brita water jugs. In Europe it's not so common r/o systems so I have no clue about it.
I use the Stealth-RO 100 (now they have the 150), and it connects to standard hose faucets. Get a hose splitter. I usually connect mine to the cold water line for clothes washers. This way you can connect your r/o machine and still wash clothes. :)

Attachments

• hose-splitter.png
    hose-splitter.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 23