What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3'x3'x6' Tent - LED - Durban Poison

Ruby_Abu

Howdy yall. This is only my second full from-seed grow with this lighting so I'm still getting used to all the nuances. Been a MH/HPS kinda guy for the first decade of my growing and only recently converted to LED.

The baking pan looking light is the SolSheet 150w and it's just three rows of hard strip LEDs in a metal and acrylic housing to keep it safe. Got a little mini PC style fan in the top of it to keep it cool. Stays very low temp and produces a ton of really nicely colored natural looking light. Been pretty happy with it so far.

The square light is the HLG 65w Quantum Board that has a little attached driver on top of it. Gets hot but also produces an insane amount of light for only pulling 65 watts. Probably gonna try and upgrade to a 100 or 150w QB at some point in the future. Really like that they don't need a housing or a fan.

The rectangular white light is the Viparspectra 300 (pulls 130 watts). Dimmable light in a housing with a mix of different LEDs. Not the best light by any means but it was super cheap and the dimmable blurple bulbs are nice to have during germination and veg.

Here's a few pics of the first grow I did with these lights. A couple of feminized Bubba Kush that didn't yield all that great and got a little burned from my too-hot soilless mix but still produced some absolutely top notch quality. First four or five times I smoked it I was literally so goddamn high that I was paralyzed in my chair for several hours. As in couldn't even turn my head, all I could do was breathe and blink. It was actually scary because I have a high tolerance and never get physical effects that powerful from smoke I buy.

It looks great. Man. Keep hard working.
How about Viparspectra light? I never had a chance to use their light.

soil margin

Veteran
It looks great. Man. Keep hard working.
How about Viparspectra light? I never had a chance to use their light.

Thanks Ruby. It's a decent light for some germination/veg stuff imo. I wouldn't buy them as a primary light, but they work fine as a supplemental. I like having a wide variety of light colors.

soil margin

Veteran
Howdy yall good folk. Flipped these to 12/12 about a week ago now. Despite my ineptness these durban poison & co. are still alive. These look like they're gonna be some nice herb when they finish in 13 weeks or so. Here's some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

soil margin

Veteran
Hah. Right as I make a post about how compact my durban poison girls are looking, they grow like five-six inches in a day. I won't complain though. Will be happy to see these ladies fill out the 7 gallon pots finally. Had been struggling with some little gnats in the tent for the past week or two but they seem to have finally cleared up. The quantum board is a nice pest deterrent, all the little flies/gnats land on it and cook themselves to death. Keeps the tent clean enough that I don't have to spray anything or use chemicals.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0409.jpg
    IMG_0409.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 26

soil margin

Veteran
These girls are branching out like crazy the past few days. Got leaves growing into the side of the tent and had to start some defoliation to keep airflow up. Hope to see some colas start forming in the next couple weeks. Enjoy the pics yall.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 21

soil margin

Veteran
Howdy IC fellows, hope everyone and their girls are doing well. Been awhile since I gave an update so I took a few pictures to share. Three of the girls are still really early in flowering and just starting to develop nodes, but the Durban that's directly under the HLG quantum board seems to be going a little faster and has started to grow some bud sites already. Not sure if that's got anything to do with the light or just a result of it's specific phenotype. Still got another good 6-7 weeks of flower left, but looking forward to seeing more growth soon. Been doing some hardcore defoliation this past week as the girls were getting a little crowded in the tent. Airflow and light coverage seem to have improved a bit.

The runty girl I was worried about before is still small and not very bushy because I never topped her but seems to finally be super healthy now otherwise. Everything seems to be doing alright and I hope to give yall another update in the next week or two. Finally remembered to turn off my blurple LED to get some natural colored light when I take these. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0490.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 22

soil margin

Veteran
Morning yall, thanks for the kind words, glad you're enjoying the pics.

Been working on a little LST/training the last week and spreading out the canopy to fill up the tent better. Girls have been in flower for almost exactly 4 weeks now and fan leaves are out of control so decided to do some hardcore defoliation this morning and show a little before/after. Time for these babies to stop growing leaves and start growing flowers. Took a couple close ups of the baby buds as well, first one from a Durban and the second from the bagseed girl.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 25

soil margin

Veteran
Happy Friday ICmag, hope your week has been filled with frosty greens. Just started the fifth week of flowering a couple days ago so time for another little update. Been focused primarily on training the canopy/trimming larf/a little defoliation. Plants are looking pretty good although one of the durban girls seems to be extra slow when it comes to producing resin. Guess that's just a genetic thing as it's bud structure and color seems to be different as well.

Took a few more pics with my shitty iphone camera, hope to give another update in a week or so. Expecting another 4 weeks or so until harvest.

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 29
M

mrghost

Too much defoliation for my taste.

Don't get me wrong. I'm curious to see the outcome on this run. I've tried a lot but I always let them keep more fan leaves.

Aside from that this setup reminds me of one of my veg rooms (pot-size, tent-size plant count).

Last edited:

soil margin

Veteran
Yeah I probably wouldn't defoliate quite so much in a perfect world. I have to deal with growing in a rather moist room though, and the girls are pretty crowded together in the tent. So super leafy strains combined with high humidity/limited airflow/etc. breeds nasty shit that I'm not in the mood to deal with. In my mind the potential negatives from keeping them trimmed short are far better than having a crop ruined from mold or mildew. Gotta keep my hard work safe.

soil margin

Veteran
Couple pics. First one of flowers is a durban and the other is the bagseed. Got some interesting phenos showing in the durban. One is a bulkier, higher yielding but less frosty. One is a very wispy, tall landrace style with bright red stems and leaf tips. One is super short but incredibly resinous. Even it's bottom leaves that aren't getting good light coverage are freaking covered in resin. I had to double check myself because it was so white that I was worried it was mold or something growing. Nope, just trichomes! Hit week 6 of flowering yesterday and gonna switch light schedule to 11on/13off, as I've read from some hardcore sativa growers that is better for getting landraces to mature.

Hope yall enjoy. Hopefully I can figure out how to take some decent bud closeup pics soon with my iphone.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 33

Busto

Looking forward to this ! I would like to try Durban Poison by myself.

Which seedbank did you choose ?

soil margin

Veteran
Growers Choice Seeds, here in Commiefornia. Was pretty pleased with their Bubba Kush last time so decided to try the DP as well.