What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trimming lower branches

Sinbad5150

Hi all. I'm going in again with some stardawg on Coco slabs. I have trimmed lower branches before at various times based upon different people's opinions.

These will be quite packed in so it's essential to get the tops to get all the growth and as it's in slabs I don't have the luxury of pulling them out to trim and move them around.

My last go I didn't bother and had a hell of a lot of scrag so this time I am going to do what I have done before, take off the bottom third of the plant pretty much.

In the past I have done this in veg and also on someone else's suggestion at 2 -3 weeks into 12 and 12 after the stretch so as to not stop them stretching (their reasoning) Didn't notice much difference either way but this was growing cheese and it was always a hardy plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trimming with stardawg or any tips in general.

Thanks all

soil margin

Veteran
Sounds like some scrog netting would be perfect for you. Allow you to control the positioning of the tops and get them maximum light exposure without having to cut off too much of the plant.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi all. I'm going in again with some stardawg on Coco slabs. I have trimmed lower branches before at various times based upon different people's opinions.

These will be quite packed in so it's essential to get the tops to get all the growth and as it's in slabs I don't have the luxury of pulling them out to trim and move them around.

My last go I didn't bother and had a hell of a lot of scrag so this time I am going to do what I have done before, take off the bottom third of the plant pretty much.

In the past I have done this in veg and also on someone else's suggestion at 2 -3 weeks into 12 and 12 after the stretch so as to not stop them stretching (their reasoning) Didn't notice much difference either way but this was growing cheese and it was always a hardy plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions for trimming with stardawg or any tips in general.

Thanks all
Don't eat that Elmer! :) All major work should occur prior to the flip, so the plant can concentrate on producing flowers vs repairing "damage" done. :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sounds like some scrog netting would be perfect for you. Allow you to control the positioning of the tops and get them maximum light exposure without having to cut off too much of the plant.
... even SCROGs have major pruning carried out, some as much as everything that is below the 1st net. I have seen plants with vegetation on the top 1/3 only.

Sinbad5150

Don't eat that Elmer! :) All major work should occur prior to the flip, so the plant can concentrate on producing flowers vs repairing "damage" done. :tiphat:

This was one of the things I've always thought but it's hard to tell exactly how it will end up before the stretch has occurred.

I do net things but there is always a load of bottom branches that don't ever see the light.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
stardawg illuminati is not stretchy at all, plant stays small and bushy so make sure to veg her a lot if you want decent size bushes in the end.

Sinbad5150

stardawg illuminati is not stretchy at all, plant stays small and bushy so make sure to veg her a lot if you want decent size bushes in the end.

Thanks I'll take that into consideration, it's hard knowing how much a new strain will go when your used to one.

I was reading not too long ago your thread
Let's talk coco slabs with drippers

Are you still using slabs?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
This was one of the things I've always thought but it's hard to tell exactly how it will end up before the stretch has occurred.

I do net things but there is always a load of bottom branches that don't ever see the light.
IMHO/E folks seem to rush things e.g in and out like an assembly line. e.g 4 weeks veg, booted to flower. I was taught to veg a minimum of 6 weeks and if I could afford it, 8 weeks are better. I veg for 8. The 8th week is the transition week.

When doing it this way, you have sexually mature plants, that doesn't need to mature/stretch as much. They do stretch but not as much. What does happen..? they develop flowers much sooner.

Research your strains, many do say how much they have a tendency to stretch. Leafly is your friend :) :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
BS is a little harsh. He can only talk about what he knows. We all tend to imagine other peoples grows are like our own, or should be more like it.

Flowering young plants isn't wise. Waiting for signs of sex is the earliest indicator that you could flick the switch. This could be at any age, but around 6 weeks from seed is common. We can see a bit of this in autoflowering plants. Where they can seem to have a veg period, then a slow start into flower.

It sounds like the OP wants a sea of green, but might be using seeds. Hence growing plants so tall the bottoms have to come off, rather than getting developed. Perhaps fewer plants would be better. Using a net. So time spent in veg, is time spent stretching out his plants laterally. To fill the space. Rather than growing stuff to chop off. Spacing should be such that 6 weeks is needed to fill the screen/net. Then flick the switch, hoping for even vertical growth across the entire area. Upwards, through a second net, giving the overall appearance that lots of plants would give. It would be wishful thinking to believe no further training will be required though. Some bits will push ahead, needing leaves pulling off to slow them. As this reduces shade response. Other bits will want a little shade, to get them to come up. Some will show themselves as needless popcorn growers, that sap energy from elsewhere. While other bits may still need hst, to get them out the way. This is very common in single light grows, where leads under the light just can't be held back, so your forced to: 1, raise the lights so everything else suffers. 2, let it burn, stressing the plant and effecting it's pheno. 3, Accept it's in the way, but you want it, so bust it down flat.

Many things will effect the need to train. Most of which won't show themselves while the seeds still in the packet. The nice squat plants your expecting, might be like something from jack and the beanstalk. Or maybe the x2 stretch you expected to fill your space, is only a 50% stretch. A fear that drives many of us to spend to much time in veg, then be forced to train heavily during early flower.

sethimus

growing in slabs usually implies that you are using clones as you need similar sized plants on the same slab, growing seed plants in slabs is just limiting yourself as you can't correct plant spacing after you planted the seedlings

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
bs, clones are as old as the mother plant...
Never denied that good buddy. Your assumption! In commercial settings, time is money, fully understandable, get 'em in, get 'em out. If you are growing for yourself, it all depends on what one wants to do. If you are ltd with head space, it is a way to alleviate it.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
BS is a little harsh. He can only talk about what he knows. We all tend to imagine other peoples grows are like our own, or should be more like it.

Flowering young plants isn't wise. Waiting for signs of sex is the earliest indicator that you could flick the switch. This could be at any age, but around 6 weeks from seed is common. We can see a bit of this in autoflowering plants. Where they can seem to have a veg period, then a slow start into flower.

It sounds like the OP wants a sea of green, but might be using seeds. Hence growing plants so tall the bottoms have to come off, rather than getting developed. Perhaps fewer plants would be better. Using a net. So time spent in veg, is time spent stretching out his plants laterally. To fill the space. Rather than growing stuff to chop off. Spacing should be such that 6 weeks is needed to fill the screen/net. Then flick the switch, hoping for even vertical growth across the entire area. Upwards, through a second net, giving the overall appearance that lots of plants would give. It would be wishful thinking to believe no further training will be required though. Some bits will push ahead, needing leaves pulling off to slow them. As this reduces shade response. Other bits will want a little shade, to get them to come up. Some will show themselves as needless popcorn growers, that sap energy from elsewhere. While other bits may still need hst, to get them out the way. This is very common in single light grows, where leads under the light just can't be held back, so your forced to: 1, raise the lights so everything else suffers. 2, let it burn, stressing the plant and effecting it's pheno. 3, Accept it's in the way, but you want it, so bust it down flat.

Many things will effect the need to train. Most of which won't show themselves while the seeds still in the packet. The nice squat plants your expecting, might be like something from jack and the beanstalk. Or maybe the x2 stretch you expected to fill your space, is only a 50% stretch. A fear that drives many of us to spend to much time in veg, then be forced to train heavily during early flower.
Heeeeey, exactemundo :thumbs:

Sinbad5150

growing in slabs usually implies that you are using clones as you need similar sized plants on the same slab, growing seed plants in slabs is just limiting yourself as you can't correct plant spacing after you planted the seedlings

Yes using clones from a well established mother.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Thanks I'll take that into consideration, it's hard knowing how much a new strain will go when your used to one.

I was reading not too long ago your thread
Let's talk coco slabs with drippers

Are you still using slabs?

yes bro, still rocking the coco slabs indoors. that thread is old, but most of the info is still usable, just depends how you are set up to grow. you can see my newest grow in my sig, the new tangyxcookies link. although it's not as detailed on method as the old dripper thread.

Sinbad5150

yes bro, still rocking the coco slabs indoors. that thread is old, but most of the info is still usable, just depends how you are set up to grow. you can see my newest grow in my sig, the new tangyxcookies link. although it's not as detailed on method as the old dripper thread.

Nice I'll check it out. I still like the slabs myself. When I find so thing that works I like to stick to it.

Do you mind if I pm you?

Sinbad5150

Just wondered if you have tried these drippers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Netafim-PCJ-Drippers-Button-Emitters-Drip-Trickle-/110735649583

Them connected to the main feed tube that is blocked at the end, connected with 3mm tubing to any kind of stake. I havnt ever blocked one. Where as the old spaghetti drippers seem to block up with the slightest bit of calcium or any other foreign particle in the system. The 3mm tubing needs heating to get over the barbed ends, but 4mm just pops right off with any pressure. I have tried 8 up to 50 with the same high pressure pump and from dripper no 1 to 50 all give the same volume output.

Only cheap too when considering what you can lose if a dripper blocks, have a look for yourself. They have only ever done me well. (I saw a Dutch grow years ago and they used them and swore by them, again slabs and hundreds of drippers).

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I agree with all of this. They definitely do not stretch as much when vegged for longer periods. When dealing with clones, I wouldn’t say they are more mature, but they definitely do have more hormones in the shoots. Especially if the shoots are allowed to grow out for a couple weeks after topping and before flowering. I get 8 to 12 zips per 5 gallon in soil using a 6 to 8 week veg. And that’s having 4 plants per 1000w se.

As far as trimming the lowers, I usually do just a little trimming underneath at the start of bloom. Just clearing out the really small shoots and the fan leaves attached to their base. Then I wait until the end of stretch, and I take off anywhere from 1/3 of the bottom of the plant to half, depending on strain. I also defoiliate fan leaves in the middle of plant as well as the top to help give smaller shoots direct light. It sounds aggressive to ppl who haven’t done it, but my yield drastically went up after using this technique.

I grow the Corey cut of Stardawg and since even the lower shoots of it swell up, giving hardly no larf, I only trim the bottom third of the plant after stretch. :tiphat:

IMHO/E folks seem to rush things e.g in and out like an assembly line. e.g 4 weeks veg, booted to flower. I was taught to veg a minimum of 6 weeks and if I could afford it, 8 weeks are better. I veg for 8. The 8th week is the transition week.

When doing it this way, you have sexually mature plants, that doesn't need to mature/stretch as much. They do stretch but not as much. What does happen..? they develop flowers much sooner.

Research your strains, many do say how much they have a tendency to stretch. Leafly is your friend :) :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts