What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vast majority of people can't identify fake news

XXX_710

I wish it was like in the early days of television when they would go.. "And now, a word from our sponsor.." It's easy to miss the transition to commercial because it is near seamless at times.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
interesting take on the article. did you read it? nowhere did i see (read it twice) anything you claim. it DID say that the majority of people fooled were older, less educated, and read the news primarily for entertainment. it also said that most people that detected the fake were younger & better educated. want to guess which of these descriptions points at average voters of which political party? :laughing:

KONY

Veteran
interesting take on the article. did you read it? nowhere did i see (read it twice) anything you claim. it DID say that the majority of people fooled were older, less educated, and read the news primarily for entertainment. it also said that most people that detected the fake were younger & better educated. want to guess which of these descriptions points at average voters of which political party? :laughing:

I guess you missed the big graph here, do you have images disabled maybe??

party-identification-pie-chart.png

prune

Veteran
Ya, I think that graph just reflects that most people are ashamed to identify as repugs these days...

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
So, the general public lacks critical thinking skills.

Such a small sampling, 738 people, lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran

View Image

no, i saw the graph. it shows how people that participated in the poll identified as to party. it DOES NOT show that those were the percentages of people that could not tell real from fake news. perhaps a refresher course in reading comprehension might be in your future? :laughing:

PDX Dopesmoker

View Image

Did you start this thread to complain about how other people can't read any more and then get distracted by the big, eye catching graphic along the way? Are you serious or is this some kinda comedy routine?
There used to be some good guerrilla theater acts in the parking lots at the dead shows in the 1980s, the group of hippies fighting over the last quaalude was my favorite, big respect if you were involved in that one.

White Beard

Hippies and *quaaludes*?

Really? What planet was that?

(Worth pointing out that “independents” vote almost exclusively republican...)

PDX Dopesmoker

Hippies and *quaaludes*?

Really? What planet was that?

(Worth pointing out that “independents” vote almost exclusively republican...)

Last time I caught the act it was in July 1990 on the sidewalk in front of the DC armory just opposite RFK stadium. That was the last time I saw the dead play.