What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylating the Cannabis before canna butter??

Hubbleman

Veteran
I had a really good canna butter recipe somewhere but I lost it. I looked it up online and a random guide tells u u got to Decarboxylate the Cannabis BEFORE adding it to butter!! Apparently they say weed contains a cannabinoid THCA and by heating it up heat converts thca into thc........... That's the first time I hear that.

I used to make lots of edibles in my time... usually id go for dark hash smoothies / milkshakes... :dance013:

Anyone got a link to a proper canna butter???

troutman

Seed Whore
Decarboxylated Cannabinoids are more soluble in solvents. Hence why it's recommended
to do that prior to all extractions if you want maximum returns on your investment.

Hubbleman

Veteran
I used to take out a ladle, add some oil, drop a gram of manali dark hash, then hold the ladle above gas flame on a stov. It would do the trick! THC would bond with fat... not sure about THCA tho

Once that done, Then I'd add the contents of the ladle into a yogurt or milk shake

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Most pre-decarbing methods destroy terpenes you really want to keep. My advice?

Turn the butter into ghee first, or buy a quality brand of ghee
Find a slow canna-butter recipe which includes decarbing while it's extracting
Use a potato ricer or other screened type press to recover as much as possible.

The ghee will absorb more cannabinoids per gram, you'll retain the terpenes for a more complex and medicinal effect, and the ghee will absorb amazingly quickly and reliably. Win, win, win. :D

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yes Trout, great stuff there. Sous Vide is the only way I've seen which does the pre-decarb properly, though I'm leaning towards using mylar or another sealed container solution. My guess is any sealed, small (cannabis volume) container is going to create the same effect with the same temps and no water. :D

With ghee you're already retaining the terpenes, as long as the process is low heat over time.

Latest posts

Latest posts