What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenleaf Megacrop

J-Icky

Bloom boosters aren't needed if you have a balanced formula and proper pH.

Well I grow in coco so a balanced PH is a must and I wouldn’t say I used those as “boosters”. The way I used them I just considered it a way to cut down on the amount of N in mid-late flower. I also did it to give the plants a better regimen that fits their needs during flower, lower N, more P early-mid flower and more K to finish.

I’m actually switching to PBP soil and now have to figure out a way to give them more N during veg and early flower. But I have another few months to figure that out as I’m in the middle of a seed run. And for seed runs I use cheap blue powder nutes from Walmart since I won’t be using the flower and only need them happy enough to make seeds.

Biologist

Anybody else used the new formula that has come out in May 2020? I just got my bag and even at 4g/gallon I'm getting all these specks of black stuff that won't dissolve, the sweet smell (some say poop, I loved the smell) is gone, and it looks chalky, balls gone too as others have mentioned and their blog post mentioned. It's frustrating that they change the formula so much. I did a lot of tests with the old version that was brown and smelled nice and I was ready to use it in a full run in my bloom room.

There is some magic that MegaCrop seems to do to the smell of the buds that I was hoping to get in my grow this time but I don't know if the new version will have that magic. I'm on the fence about what to do. I don't know how I would even begin to try and filter all this stuff out that won't go into solution even when making a 1x stock. So maybe the decision is already made for me. Anyone else know how to get that MegaCrop magic in the buds from some other product? What ingredient is responsible? The aminos? No EDTA? Kelp? Even the leaves of seedlings grown with it smell dank compared to other nutrients. On the other hand, what makes MegaCrop make such leafy buds even if nitrogen is controlled? Auxins from the kelp?

My ideal nutrient would have the bud smell of MegaCrop and bud appearance and density of something else like Jacks. And be able to be dosed 2 part so I can make concentrated stocks for use with a fertilizer injector. I'm still looking for that holy grail nutrient. Maybe it is the new 2 part they have on their website. I guess I'll try it and see. It's got the aminos, but not the kelp or chitosan etc.

https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop-2-part-a-5-12-26-hydroponic-professional/

J-Icky

Just got my bag of the new “part A” and one, it reeks of cheap granular pesticides. Not saying it has any in it but it has that same smell.
2 if mixing it as a concentrate, add the powder to the full amount of water. I made the mistake of trying to mix 100gram into 500 ml of water. Well I added the powder to the bottle and then used roughly 50-100ml to rinse out the dust of the cup I weighed it in and added that first just wetting the powder. Wel by the time I grabbed the jug of the distilled water, the 500ml cheap water bottle had become VERY HOT. Had I not added the remaining volume of water immediately I’m sure the exothermic reaction would’ve melted the plastic.

saitama

are people still running into issues with megacrop? I'm interested in this product but based on the later information in this thread, i'm thinking i should stay away until they sort out some issues.

I run blumats, so clogging of any sort is a big nono for me...as i'm sure it is with everyone.

dramamine

are people still running into issues with megacrop? I'm interested in this product but based on the later information in this thread, i'm thinking i should stay away until they sort out some issues.

I run blumats, so clogging of any sort is a big nono for me...as i'm sure it is with everyone.

It will definitely clog your blumat lines. I tried to make it work when I ran blumats....it won't. It always left lots of sludge in the res, too. Much prefer cleaner salts, what I run now.

G

I run the new one part and sweet candy through Blumats. I keep the EC at about 1.3 before adding sweet candy bringing it up to 1.5. Iuse this throughout the bloom cycle. If the plant looks like it needs more, I’ll hand drench a higher total EC, and will do The opposite toward the end of flower, manually lowering the EC . I can use it, under these circumstances, from the beginning of flowers to finish with no problems.

dramamine

I run the new one part and sweet candy through Blumats. I keep the EC at about 1.3 before adding sweet candy bringing it up to 1.5. Iuse this throughout the bloom cycle. If the plant looks like it needs more, I’ll hand drench a higher total EC, and will do The opposite toward the end of flower, manually lowering the EC . I can use it, under these circumstances, from the beginning of flowers to finish with no problems.

There may be environmental factors that cause the sludge...not sure. I just haven't seen it happen with other nutrients.

HorseBadoritiz

There may be environmental factors that cause the sludge...not sure. I just haven't seen it happen with other nutrients.

I can see some "sludge" in reservoirs that aren't light proof. It's the opposite of moss on a tree's North side... it only shows on the sunny side! It's not a bother.

G

My bulkhead outlet rests an inch or so off the bottom of the reservoir. Overtime (months) accumulation will show. I usually siphon up that stuff top drench with it.
I have a bleeder valve on my bluemats that I use at least weekly to make sure the 8 mm lines are free of air or any other obstruction. I never see any gunk in the stuff I bleed out.

saitama

Just ordered their new formula with some sweet candy. Supposedly the big chunks are gone and it is much more uniform/fine. I plan on running it in my flower room's blumat setup. Probably exactly the way outcold described but perhaps at 1.6EC.

Are you coco guys adding calmag?

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
The new formula is great- the old formula was a melting mess. I only use it in veg as I find V+B can't be beat. I like this stuff in veg- set for life with one bag haha

BillFarthing

Veteran
I started this thread a long time ago.

Could someone explain the different formulas to me? What makes the most recent revision better?

saitama

The new formula is great- the old formula was a melting mess. I only use it in veg as I find V+B can't be beat. I like this stuff in veg- set for life with one bag haha

Thanks, 40! I'm gonna try it in flower this time since I just ran out of V+B and this seems really convenient.

SuperBadGrower

Yeah I can say something about that. Let me first say I have used yara, peters as well as various "single ingredients" from mgso4 to MKP succesfully. Of every product I have EVER tried, in the whole world, there was nothing worse than Megacrop. There would be precipitate at any dosage, no matter what. 0.2 EC tap water, 0 EC distilled water, always white precipitate at the bottom. Hot water? Precipitate. Extremely slow dosing? Precipitate. LOL I tried everything those forum noobs recommended. Gypsum? I dont know, I don't care. Those clowns said you could make a stock solution of it. What a knee slapper. Reading the forums it's obvious if you buy megacrop You are the one doing the product testing. Buyer beware.

SuperBadGrower

Anyway maybe I got a bad batch or something. I can't imagine I was the only non-blind person using it. Most people using this stuff seem to be growing in peat mixes which are "loaded" with nutrients compared to coco or rockwool. It doesnt matter if all the calcium becomes white powder when there is plenty of in the medium :biglaugh:

dramamine

Anyway maybe I got a bad batch or something. I can't imagine I was the only non-blind person using it. Most people using this stuff seem to be growing in peat mixes which are "loaded" with nutrients compared to coco or rockwool. It doesnt matter if all the calcium becomes white powder when there is plenty of in the medium :biglaugh:

I had exactly the same experience.

saitama

The latest batch is from 5-2020. We will see. I got precipitate from V+B also and ignored it and it worked out fine. I have a filter for my nute pump, so I'm not too worried about that. The lady uses jack321 for her kratky herbs, so I always have that to fall back to if I need it.

BillFarthing

Veteran

I had the exact same experience with their stock solution.

Final concentration, it's fine for hand watered soil, not hydro.