What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Removing chloramine from 1000 gallons of water

Top_shelf_farms

Hello- I've got a new place that has city water and I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove chlorine and chloramine from the water 1000 gallons at a time. I need to have the water cleaned once a day. It doesn't sound like I can bubble it off so either a filter of some sort or additives?... Thank you all!

EastBayGrower

Veteran
from what ive been told (and been using for 2 years) is get the highest purity humic acid you can made from a non-Leardonite source and add that at 1 ml per gallon, i tend to use more but was even told a few drops will do

EastBayGrower

Veteran
humic acid, ascorbic acid, citric acid, molasses and compost all work

I was told it has to be made from a non-Leodanite source to be effective at tieing u chloramine, or will any humic acid product work? ... because its hard to find fresh water derived humic acid...

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone evidence that chloramine, in the concentration used to treat water, has any real impact on soil microbiology?

I poked around a bit, but beyond cannabis references and a few blogs, couldn't find much.

van de Leur-Muttzall and Hanstveit (1998b; Appendix H), reported weak persistence in soil and rapid degradation under aerobic conditions.

I understand the logic "if it kills microbes in water, it will in soil". But we're talking apples and oranges.

Kind of starting to look like another one of those things restricted to cannabis forums and wives tales gardening.

Superstituous feeling..

MM?

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Hello- I've got a new place that has city water and I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove chlorine and chloramine from the water 1000 gallons at a time. I need to have the water cleaned once a day. It doesn't sound like I can bubble it off so either a filter of some sort or additives?... Thank you all!

Buy a Hydrologic Tall boy, then upgrade to one of these filters, no more chloramin or chlorine...
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-22070-20-Inch-4-5-Inch-Catalytic/dp/B00286SOFC

Been using for years and years...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone evidence that chloramine, in the concentration used to treat water, has any real impact on soil microbiology?

I poked around a bit, but beyond cannabis references and a few blogs, couldn't find much.

van de Leur-Muttzall and Hanstveit (1998b; Appendix H), reported weak persistence in soil and rapid degradation under aerobic conditions.

I understand the logic "if it kills microbes in water, it will in soil". But we're talking apples and oranges.

Kind of starting to look like another one of those things restricted to cannabis forums and wives tales gardening.

Superstituous feeling..

MM?

It really is not a big deal for irrigation. It is a minor issue if making CT or fermentations or good beer. It is neutralized with any of the substances previously mentioned. I should add that I would not want to irrigate with it day after day. It must have some accumulative effect. Personally I use a $200 filter and don't think about it.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was told it has to be made from a non-Leodanite source to be effective at tieing u chloramine, or will any humic acid product work? ... because its hard to find fresh water derived humic acid...

It is the nature of an oxidizer like chlorine or chloramine that they are neutralized by organic matter, especially with a higher humic content. No special type of humic acid is necessary and orange peals or molasses works just as well.

betshtick

Interesting, on the humic acid... Any idear how long it takes, roughly, for it to tie up the chloramines?

I'm using drops so I can mix immediately... But, I'm also adding a powdered humic (ful-humix). Perhaps redundant if the humic does it's binding business quickly.

That said for the OP, 16oz of dechlorinator treats ~1000gals and will run you $10-15 at the hydro shop (aquarium drops are probably even cheaper). If you want something easy and surefire or just a temporary solution while you research.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to hear the thoughts around this. Basically he saw no decrease in soil life when using chlorinated water.

[YOUTUBEIF]tgvlE8YM1xI[/YOUTUBEIF]

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. Inconclusive to be sure, but definitely a nod towards this being another bogeyman created from fear/emotion rather than reason.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the studies frequently mentioned on ag extensions, re:the "126 day watering" test.

OXIRIS

Not sure if this is an option, but what about tap water conditioner for fish tanks? Works for me, plus it removes some heavy metals. Real question for, could the use of this product still be considered organic?

RoostaPhish

Veteran
KDF85, regular carbon filters don't remove chloramine. Big boy or tall boy would do the trick fine just make sure you have the KDF

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Interesting. Inconclusive to be sure, but definitely a nod towards this being another bogeyman created from fear/emotion rather than reason.

I'm still waiting to hear back on the studies frequently mentioned on ag extensions, re:the "126 day watering" test.

Its day # what now? Any results?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was forwarded to another email address after they realized I wasn't looking for information already posted (they regurgitated once) but the trail stopped there.

Reminds me I never really sent a follow up or looked for other websites referencing the same elusive study.