What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro!

Buddyy

such a waste dumping perfectly good soil...the growshop companies are happy thou

oh hey petflora sorry for crashing your thread dude, you rock!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
such a waste dumping perfectly good soil...the growshop companies are happy thou

oh hey petflora sorry for crashing your thread dude, you rock!

I dump my 'spent' hydro nutes in my outdoor garden trees shrubs, avocado...

speaking about natural things, growing under lights is not natural too, so why not using hydro?
Outdoor, i use full soil, no container, indoor i use hydro, keeping it super simple as always. No PK, no additives, low ec and happy plants.
But if you prefer soil, it's up to you.
I say soil plants finish faster, i mean when i grow them. Why, because they stress of root bound very fast and flower in a hurry to perpetuate the strain, i guess, like in Morocco mountains.

Buddyy

speaking about natural things, growing under lights is not natural too, so why not using hydro?
Outdoor, i use full soil, no container, indoor i use hydro, keeping it super simple as always. No PK, no additives, low ec and happy plants.
I say soil plants finish faster, i mean when i grow them. Why, because they stress of root bound very fast and flower in a hurry to perpetuate the strain, i guess, like in Morocco mountains.

John, root bound plants may be stressed and may induce earlier flowering and shorter finishing.....this has nothing to do with the fact it is in soil but rather the fact that it is root bound and stressed!
So I say-growing in soil is not a week faster than hydro, do you agree?

Yes I understand that growing under artificial lighting is not natural...
so the least I can do is provide a growing medium which does it's best to replicate perfect outdoor soil conditions, complete with worms, bacteria, nematodes, protozoa, algae and slime, mulch, mycorrhizal fungi and so on.
John, what have root bound stressed plants have to do with plants grown in the Moroccan mountains? Have you been to Morocco? I didn't understand the comparison.

Petflora if you understood how plants in nature obtain nutrients from the soil you would know that salt based fertilisers actually kill micro bacteria and microflora in soils and are detrimental to soil health. If you want to know something I would suggest you read a book like 'The Ideal Soil' or 'Teaming with nutrients'

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
To each their own.

I find hydro complicated and full of potential problems and things that can go wrong. The main thing I don't like about hydro is I find it UNNATURAL. Another thing is the taste of the weed, organic DEFINITELY tastes BETTER.
Weed grown in hydro is like force feeding whereas in organic living soil the plants are free to choose what they want when they want it. Plants grown in organic living soil have superior immune systems.

Sure I only yield about 0,5gr per watt (I buy 15cm clones, veg them for 2 weeks in 20l smart pots)but I'm not in it for the money. I love producing top quality weed from plants that were happy and untreated with any insecticides or pesticides, just some aloe vera foliar sprays, barley enzyme teas, ACT from ewc and molasses. :)
I also save money by recycling my soil, making my own garden compost, EWC and using plants from my garden to make fertilisers.
The only thing I buy from the growshop these days are clones and bulbs and air filters. I think organic is also better for the environment.

Wait I hear ya...But yield, oh yea yield thats real important. LOL

UNNATURAL remember...or if you like ARTIFICIAL :p

I'm out of here, good luck to you all!
#1 hydro is not for newbies NO pun intended .It is only complicated if you don't know what you're doing #2 your statement is biased its what you feel as unnatural so any thing you say I don't beleave your brain is playing tricks on you. You know like a Mirage .Growing from clones isn't Natural ,but I bet you do it.#3 yes a ten week strain is a ten week strain,BUT you all ready said hydro veggs faster How about Way faster so I can flower my plants a whole month before you can . So in reality I will be done for weeks earlier than a soil grow .#4 They do make organic nutes for hydro so how and why again is soil bud taste better than hydro?
I'm lost did some one say that soil is better than hydro O HeRE WE GO AGAIN Uneducated statements..

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BUDDY, this is a HYDRO thread, and while the occasional misguided organic soil tastes better view is expected, you have well over-staid your welcome in that regard, regurgitating the same unscientifically supported crap over and over.

That you twice grew hydro speaks volumes. Clearly, you've never learned how to grow PROPERLY with hydro (and uite likely your next attempt won't be much better), so... PLEASE move on as you said you were several of your posts ago (post #10 & 12)

I will address your orange juice comment though, plants are equipped to convert inorganic matter into organic byproducts such as the water that develops inside all plants, vegetables, and fruits. The better balanced the inorganic nutrients are the better/healthier the end product. The reason why commercially grown fruits and vegetables lack taste (or nutrient value) is due to big agra using depleted; soil nutrients, micronutrients, microbes, and dead water... Big Agra chooses to use pesticides, insecticides and GMOs instead. Seems clear they are in concert with big pharma

Structured water devices are proven in commercial agriculture, but big agra turns a blind eye. Do a YT search

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Well if you harvest a fruit or vegetable weeks early so you can ship it across the country, it certainly will not taste like a local grown, freshly harvested one, organic or not.
How does old sushi taste?
:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
"The old argument that organic tastes better is laughable".......you are joking right?
I can only speak from personal experience and that is that organically grown weed DOES taste better than salt based ferts. I have read other people sharing this view. Pet you are the first person I have come across that does not share this view.
"Another great benefit of Hydro is growth, which is typically 2-4Xs greater. This is confirmed by many Greenhouse Seed YT videos"......LOL! Have you ever grown organically? Well I have grown in hydro and in soilless mediums and now finally and thank god I do ROLS and am growing the BEST indoor weed in my life with the least money, the least time and the least problems EVER.
I will call BS when I see it.

Brother, you first have to obtain that stuff that you then have to cook (some) to deploy. I know nothing of ROLS, just went and read a few pages on it. If you think its the best, then it is, no argument but not buying the time part. Part of 'time' is also attention to detail... I think.

EDIT: you didn't mention PH, that's good.

Am I wrong?:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran

I kinda like that 'root bound' thinking, JL.:chin:

EDIT: sorry x2 Pet..

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I kinda like that 'root bound' thinking, JL.:chin:

EDIT: sorry x2 Pet..

When growing in soil, root bound is often an issue, but not in F & D hydro where the roots do not rely on insufficient soil to drink from

Buddyy

"That you twice grew hydro speaks volumes. Clearly, you've never learned how to grow PROPERLY with hydro (and uite likely your next attempt won't be much better), so... PLEASE move on as you said you were several of your posts ago" (post #10 & 12)

Pet,
I understand you must be upset but there is no need for these insults.
I'm here to stay now that you've insulted me. I can grow hydro PROPERLY, I did so 16 years ago.

"plants are equipped to convert inorganic matter into organic byproducts such as the water that develops inside all plants, vegetables, and fruits"....aha ok....so how do they convert inorganic matter into organic byproducts? How does water develop inside plants?

"The reason why commercially grown fruits and vegetables lack taste (or nutrient value) is due to big agra using depleted; soil nutrients, micronutrients, microbes, and dead water... OK so what is it that 'big agra' are using? some are USING SALT BASED FERTILISERS which kill soil microbiology and are detrimental to general soil health.

Just like when you use miracle grow on your lawn, first it works ok but after a few years the soil is so depleted of any microbiology and any ability of the soil to decompose organic material that for the lawn to be green increasing amounts of miracle grow is necessary.

"Structured water devices are proven in commercial agriculture"..........do you think you could post a link to a site which would explain this concept based on science and show some proof, thanks.

Snook
"Brother, you first have to obtain that stuff that you then have to cook (some) to deploy. I know nothing of ROLS, just went and read a few pages on it. If you think its the best, then it is, no argument but not buying the time part. Part of 'time' is also attention to detail... I think.

EDIT: you didn't mention PH, that's good.

Am I wrong?"

When I said the least time I was referring to the time it takes to water/look after my grow once in progress, not the time it takes to create a living organic soil mix....This takes time, it is a process. The soil I use in my indoor garden has been in my compost heap for a year or so and then in my worm bin for a few months so time is relative.

Buddyy

#1 hydro is not for newbies NO pun intended .It is only complicated if you don't know what you're doing #2 your statement is biased its what you feel as unnatural so any thing you say I don't beleave your brain is playing tricks on you. You know like a Mirage .Growing from clones isn't Natural ,but I bet you do it.#3 yes a ten week strain is a ten week strain,BUT you all ready said hydro veggs faster How about Way faster so I can flower my plants a whole month before you can . So in reality I will be done for weeks earlier than a soil grow .#4 They do make organic nutes for hydro so how and why again is soil bud taste better than hydro?
I'm lost did some one say that soil is better than hydro O HeRE WE GO AGAIN Uneducated statements..

Windycitysmoker,

I did not say soil is better than hydro. I said organically soil grown weed tastes better than hydro.....and you know what I would like to retract that statement!! Until I do a SBS and grow my own salt-based hydro and organic hydro and compare it to my organic soil grown weed from clones of the same strain from the same mother grown in the same environment I will not be making comments as to which tastes better.

As to hydro being 'way faster' I think you would be surprised how fast weed grown in organic living soil can grow....veg time isn't much of an issue when you buy 15cm clones which you then veg for 2 weeks...so if you had hydro maybe only 1 week...so you would gain 1 week. yay

"growing from clones isn't natural. I bet you do it."......I beg to differ, growing from clones is a 100% completely natural process which has been done for thousands of years!!! derrrr

jesbuds

You can't really argue a subjective point though (e.g. taste)...well you can but there's no right answer. Say we both smoke the same strain from the same grower but one grown organically and one via hydro, we may pick the exact opposites for what we like in taste but is either wrong?

Buddyy

"uneducated statements"

"growing from clones isn't natural"

LOL

"They do make organic nutes for hydro so how and why again is soil bud taste better than hydro?"

There is a difference between organic living soil and growing in a sterile medium (hydro, coco)+ fertilisers (nutes) of organic origin......you may get there one day, good luck WCS!!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
"uneducated statements"

"growing from clones isn't natural"

LOL

"They do make organic nutes for hydro so how and why again is soil bud taste better than hydro?"

There is a difference between organic living soil and growing in a sterile medium (hydro, coco)+ fertilisers (nutes) of organic origin......you may get there one day, good luck WCS!!
so youre playin the 'natural' card. global warming too. TEHO. some day I hope to be as good as you are now, buddy.

I love when that lightbulb about hydro goes off...you are 100% correct....you indeed can control everything your plants need....this results in growth and yeild increases...
A couple quick fact which define the importantance of hydroponics....with soil growing your garden ultimately uses the nutrients supplied by the organic mix...then the soil gardener is feeding their plants anyways...a plant is capable of absorbing nutes ONLY when they are in their salt form....either an organic completely broken down or chemical..a nute is a nute....that ratio of nutes in organic mixes certainly can work but you are not in control of how your mix gives them up or in what ratios...hydro u can....I am a dedicated hydro fan still after 35 years of growing (have tried all their is to try)....right down to harvest an experienced hydro grower can control everything for the cleanest buds u can get....many great bud is grown im soil but facts are fact s and both are used equally...growers choice....peace out....YT

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys, PLEASE stop encouraging him. He is clearly lonely, His follow up posts still contribute nothing to this thread

Structured water YT videos are readily available. Do I really need to provide a link? Why don't you actually do something besides posting here and research it yourself

Why marocan kief finish at the end of august ? Why it is short and make only one bud besides it's a sativa strain ? Why is there more males than females ? Because it grows in a poor soil, stressed by eating only phosphats and no Nitrogen, since they only bring phosphats to the soil and they have been growing kief for 200 years on the same parcels always.
So my theory is that stressed plants finish earlier than happy plants. And personally when i grow in soil they are not happy with me, i switch between overwatering and underfed, so i stick to hydro, DWC, and chelated nutes as BIO NOVA, and as soon as i get a decent camera i show you my ladies.

BadRabbit

Guys, PLEASE stop encouraging him. He is clearly lonely, His follow up posts still contribute nothing to this thread

Structured water YT videos are readily available. Do I really need to provide a link? Why don't you actually do something besides posting here and research it yourself

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain