What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

woolybear

Veteran
DHF nailed it with the 'coffee ground' comment... heh, thats what those little $2 bricks produce. Didn't know there was a difference!

stringier coco.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
i like the original post but after thinking about it, you say that you use small pots, the pot gets filled with roots and they get fed 5 times a day. well, if you planted in a bigger pot, the root system would be biger and would be able to absorb more from each feeding so you might not need to feed 5 times a day. point im making is, the reason you need to feed 5x is because the root system is small. if it was bigger you wouldnt need that. ive got plants ive left in a small pot too long in veg. the plant is big and bushy and the roots are rampant like the first pic in this thread..
but if i repotted in a bigger pot, the roots would not be clogging up the pot and the pot wouldnt dry up as quick. i have to water it more often cos it sucks up everything in the little pot.

on the other hand in flower i water once a day and use a five litre pot. by the same time the next day, the day the coco is nearly dried out and they get a full litre each daily. with no run off at all. but i water with fresh ph water now and again to make sure i dont get build up of salts or whatever.
no disrespect to the op as i like his method.. just my 2cents
Bigger isn't better holds true with plants.
I can't remember where I read it, but pants only make as many roots as needed. Any extra root growth is diverted energy.
As a personal example: my USD in #2 smart pots are as big as the same strain in 5g rdwc buckets.
Imo, only reason you would want larger is if you were vegging for two months, and growing trees.

Last edited:

Sqydro

mman this is surely deservamt of a sticky? can u not oven the coco or microwave it to kill any would be bugs?

going for some canna and pots tomorrow :)

Bonzo

Veteran
seems that smaller pots...more feeds is benificial in a couple ways: lower ppms/more feeds=less salt biuld up (with significant run-off) and more fresh oxygen to rootzone with every feed cycle...

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
drip clean is a great product >? how many ppm u feeding at the highest point ?., maybe thats why you arnt getting salt build up you already running lower ppms?
TS

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyone familiar with Jade Kine's Raintables?

coco in smallish smart pots (id like to try and use air pots) top dressed with guano, beneficial inoculants and other dry organic Ferts; watered by a manifold with highly oxygenated water where the runoff would leach Nutes and go to the highly oxygenated reservoir where the it would "brew" and subsequent watering would receive a type of ACT... just keeping an eye on reservoir concentrations.

Its always seemed interesting and plausibly beneficial... is anyone using this technique?

Peace,
Infi

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
drip clean is a great product >? how many ppm u feeding at the highest point ?., maybe thats why you arnt getting salt build up you already running lower ppms?
TS

yeah drip clean is good, but just not needed. if your using drippers etc fair enough but i hand water anyway.

i go for about 1000ppm in flower tbh anymore than that i find is overkill.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
yah I just found the same ting 1000 ppm is the highest I feed my coco plants in full flower, any more get burnt tips,
TS

Sqydro

turns out uve inspired me

3 x sonics cut of agent o
4 x sonics tropicanna kalischnapple
4 x heaths high yielding chiesel

1" layer of clay balls on bottom coco to near top my 3" cube inserted with cut thats been fed on nft table, and then more coco and a layer of balls on the top, these were for dwc but this has inspired me to go coco donut new teritory so help will be needed lol

pics to follow

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Great post HGO, all very good points. I used to feed coco like soil way back in the day, then tried coco slabs and followed Gaiusmarius set up as close as possible, multiple feeds per day and things went from ok to really good compared to coco in pots watered once every other day.

I think one of the most important parts about multiple waterings is the removal of salts and the addition of fresh 02.... Not sure if I can use a pump where I'm at due to the noise, hence the blumats but will have a look around to see if I can find a quiet one.

next run = og ghost, og abusive, 2 x riri sour d, giesel, and a queen of diamonds or blueberry headband vert ftw playa! Will need a few pointers and this is on a uber budget :D lol!

be well mate

meltybubble

Nice thread HGO,your spot on with pot size,root wise,the size of a desk telephone,I can see how more medium dosent help.
I love flood an drain,capillary matting a tray,pump,timmer,etc.

Coco can be a great buffer and the vert setup has proved it self.
Congrats on raiseing the bar with coco.
I think feeding as much as they can take like you've explained,helps with the yeild and overall health.

I think hydroton at the bottom helps too,drainage for one.

Killer yeilds there bro,it dosent get much better with 6.5 pots,great results.:tiphat:

upwards and onwards!

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've made a few growing mistakes in the last month and it's extremely frustrating because I expect more from myself.

I have 4 foot trees in 7 gallon pots.

It takes about 4 liters of nutrient solution to get run off.

I can't imagine watering the plants 4 times per day. Would need around 16 liters of water a day per plant.

I can't see the plants liking that too much.

Need to make pots 4 gallon max and feed more.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
I've made a few growing mistakes in the last month and it's extremely frustrating because I expect more from myself.

I can't imagine watering the plants 4 times per day. Would need around 16 liters of water a day per plant.

you wont need 4 litres at every cycle vagpuncher

dont forget with an allready saturated pot its not gunna take 4 litres to get runoff again :)

for four gallons your looking at around 2-3 drippers per pot

setup one of your tables on drippers and try alongside the other tables and you will see the difference it makes

peace:tiphat:

Ruosk

Excellent thread, K+. Now, a few questions from a coco newbie...

First, are you guys using pure coco, or do you mix in perlite, vermiculite or something else? How much should you give them water in every cycle, is it enough to have a little run off come out? I have a recirculating drip system (Atami Wilma) - does the water in the rez go stale since it's not circulating constantly, like it would with Hydroton?

Thanks!

N

noyd666

hi i noticed a lot of you guys over there,usa seem to get alot of shitty coco . here in oz ive used nutrifield blocks ,makes up 5 kilos . lovely fluffy gear allready buffered .we dont have to fukkk around all fukkkk day 11.00 dollars a block.:blowbubbles:

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

Get a CAP ART DNE timer, best $70 you will spend. Can set feeds at 1sec+ with intervals of minutes, up to hours...
Can't voice loud enough the results of multiple feeds...

Latest posts

Latest posts