What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting to make a multistrain mother

Anima

I just saw a video on youtube from a user called urbangrower titled "Grafting Cannibis"
picture.php

I would put a link up but I don't know about politics. but I think the intuitives can find it easily enough.

The video featured a grower called Midnight Grower who grew several different strains grafted and flowered out on one plant.
He brought up a great idea- Grafting plants together to make a supermom and possibly save on some plant #'s.

Also the video was very helpful with technique...
Cut a "V" into the rootstock plant.. insert a scored clone into "V"...Clamp with clothespin...Cover with bag to keep from drying out and air every day and treat kinda like a clone.

This vid really got my creative juices flowing and got me excited about doing something new.

Over the next couple days I will be gathering the supply's Midnightgrower suggested (small plastic clothespin to clamp it together mainly) and bags and whatnot to keep the cuttings from drying out.

I think I'll use a pre98 bubba kush as my "rootstock" she has nice FAT branches and is all around a solid monster plant. I think she is my best shot to try my hand at all this.

I'm going to give all my moms a good shot of veg ferts and get them going and as healthy as I can to give myself the best chance of success.

I just wanted to start a thread on this topic because I don't see much on the topic after I do a search.

Feel free to share your own experiences or post pics or point me in a direction of other "grafting" threads.

This is going to kinda be a journal of my progress with grafting. I'll be sure to take a bunch of pics for ya'll. Expect me to get this started in a couple of days.:deadxmas:

Peace and kindness
-Anima

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
way cool I have an orange and mandarine tree grafted and its way cool half and half I been wondering about this and cannabis this is the first time I see someone post this as i wanted to have two flavors in one plant or that mother idea sounds kick ass thank for sharing happy growing and enjoy the holidays !!!!

ButteredIt

a multi-strain mom in one pot? sign me up.

great for us smaller guys who love variety but don't have the space for multiple mothers.

i'll be watching this one real closely for sure. i remember reading about it in my marijuana botany book but never really thought of the possibilities. go for it anima!

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
my cuz has an apple tree that was grafted to grow 5or 6 different kinds of apples preety fooking cool
im along for this ride

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
why the veg ferts before grafting?
would it the increase in Nitrogen slow down the grafting process like it slows down the rooting process in clones?

Anima

why the veg ferts before grafting?
would it the increase in Nitrogen slow down the grafting process like it slows down the rooting process in clones?

Who said it slows down the rooting process? I usually give a dose of veg ferts before cloning as well... I will also soak my rockwool cubes for cloning in 600 ppm Flora nova grow before I take clones. They get to growing faster after they root up than just pH'd water clones and don't show yellowing.. AND WILL ACTUALLY GROW DURING THE CLONING PROCESS.
FN does acutally have a bit of P.

*edit- in the sake of scientific exploration I will give some of the "cutting donor" plants a dose of FN bloom high phos ferts and see if I can get any different results that way. But the original donor mother plant still gets fed on the high N FN grow 600ppm mix..
Feel free to do a "competition graft" learning experience of your own and be sure to put up pics!

H

humboldtlocal

Very cool. I know the idea has been discussed here before but I don't think anyone tried it. Good luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
good luck with the project Anima. I'm glad that way works well for ya.
hopin to see some crazy looking mother plants :joint:

M

Mr-B

Clones have less of a success rate with high N, according to many ganja growing articles.

Aparently it slows down the rootiong process alomst 3 times as slow with a low N content.

Just the information I've read.

Helis

Interested to watch this as well... Hell, I have a couple clones vegging and might try this myself in a month.
Good luck!

chronisseur

you want to only use some b if anything - best to floiar spray a few days beforehand.. get the foliage lightened up a bit. pure water + foliar will leach exess nitrogen out.. you dont need to add super bloom necessarily - its the carbohydrates that are important at this early point

cannabi

you want to only use some b if anything - best to floiar spray a few days beforehand.. get the foliage lightened up a bit. pure water + foliar will leach exess nitrogen out.. you dont need to add super bloom necessarily - its the carbohydrates that are important at this early point

In that case, would a little bit of molasses help?

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Regular topic and it certainly works , bit harder than air layering but easy enougth.
Can be very brittle around a sucessfull graft and easily broken off , works best longterm with plants of similar vigour.

Back in the 1950,s UK it was common practise to graft tomatoe plants onto a resistant rootstock under glass , did thousands then and most took with practice.

Not the best way for canna but interesting.

Grafting TomatoesGrafting Tomatoes
Why Graft A Tomato Plant?
If you prefer the taste of heirloom tomatoes, you know there's no going back to
most of the disease-resistant hybrids. But those hybrids grow so nicely. So take
advantage of that! Use them as the rootstock.
List of Materials
Heirloom tomato plant
Disease-resistant tomato plant
Gallon pot
Potting soil
4 stakes: These will protect the tomato from the plastic bag, so they should
be about 6" taller than the grafted plant
Clear plastic bag: This will cover the grafted plant and part of the gallon
pot. It should be at least 6" taller than the plant, and wide enough to
surround the plant without bending the leaves, as well as to go over the pot.
Razor blade or grafting knife
Rubber band large enough to go around gallon pot without effort
2 rubber bands or equivalent, very soft, 6" long: These will be used to tie
the graft union together, so they must be so soft that they can hold the
pieces together without bruising the stems. Cut the rubber bands once to
unloop them.
4 wire plant ties at least 6" long.
Choosing Which Plants To Use
Select a healthy heirloom at least 6" tall. You will cut it so you have about 4"
of stem on the cutting.
Choose a disease-resistant variety that grows really well in your site. Select a
tall, robust plant. At a height of at least 6", preferably more, the rootstock
plant's stem should be the same diameter as that of your heirloom's join point.
Note: I grow only indeterminate tomatoes, and I've always used indeterminate
plants for rootstocks. I have not tried using cherry tomatoes. I'd like to hear
about results using other kinds.
Key Ideas
You want to put an heirloom cutting with about 4" of stem onto a
disease-resistant rootstock, and you want the graft union to be high enough so
that there's rootstock stem to bury afterward. You want the diameters of the two
stems to be the same at the graft union. (This is where the two pieces are
joined.)
The two grafted pieces must be gently but firmly touching at all times. The two
pieces must not move, dry out, or get cold. The pieces must start off in optimal
condition.
When you plant the grafted tomato, no part of the heirloom should touch the soil
or mulch.
How To Go About It
Soak both plants for an hour.
Repot the rootstock in the gallon pot. Do not bury any of the stem.
Note the diameter of your heirloom at its join point, where you'll cut it.
Find the matching diameter on your rootstock.
At the leaf node just above the rootstock's join point, chop off the top of
the plant.
With the razor blade or knife, cut the top of the rootstock's stem into a V
shape. Begin the downward cut from the side of the stem. Make the cuts meet
cleanly in the middle of the stem. The angle of the two cuts should be around
20 degrees.
With the razor blade or knife, cut the heirloom's stem so that it exactly
fills the space in the rootstock's stem.
Position a stake so that the two pieces are perfectly aligned. Fit the two
pieces together, and tie them to the stake.
Wrap a soft rubber band very gently around the join and tie it. Use two if
necessary.
Poke three stakes into the outer edge of the gallon pot so that they prevent
the plastic bag from bending the plant's leaves.
Water the plant.
Put the plastic bag over the stakes and plant. Fasten it onto the gallon pot
with the big rubber band, by moving the rubber band up from the bottom of the
pot.
Put the plant in indirect light, where it's at least 65 degrees, and there is
no wind. Keep it there until you see new growth from the top. Do not let the
soil dry out.
Do not allow any growth from below the graft union.
When the grafted plant is growing, gradually remove the plastic bag over
several days. Begin by unfastening the bottom of the bag and leaving a space
between it and the pot. If the top shows signs of wilting, put the bag back.
Remove the rubber band when the graft is established. The tops of the
rootstock will tend to splay apart if given the chance, so be sure there's new
tissue in the gap.
Gradually acclimate the grafted plant to full sun, over a few days.
When the graft is strong and acclimated, plant it out. Do not allow any part
of the heirloom to touch soil or mulch.

I know I always give my mums a healthy shot of high P bloom ferts 2-3 days before takin clones and get 100% results always. Jus doin wat ive always heard on overgrow and read in grow books. Really curious to see how this goes. Could end up bein "the new thing", like 3 or 4 strains on one mom. Awsome.

Latest posts

Latest posts