What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hemp Russet Mites!! Help?

Trich_Tyson

Anyone know how long HRM eggs remain viable? I had some plants drying in the basement during my infestation. I haven't had anything down there in 3 or 4 months, and i will sanitize the shit out of it before I move plants back in.. but I'm a little nervous. The basement area isn't enclosed so i can't burn sulfur or heat treat it.

beta

Veteran
Anyone know how long HRM eggs remain viable? I had some plants drying in the basement during my infestation. I haven't had anything down there in 3 or 4 months, and i will sanitize the shit out of it before I move plants back in.. but I'm a little nervous. The basement area isn't enclosed so i can't burn sulfur or heat treat it.

I've read that they can survive without plant material for anything from 2 weeks to 6 months.

Just hose everything down with JMS Stylet Oil in a fogger. It kills all life stages including eggs.

EasyGoing

JMS is a gamble imo. I never spray anything that can fry a crop.

Grandevo, Venerate and beneficial mites have worked very well for me and others in the past.

beta

Veteran
JMS is a gamble imo. I never spray anything that can fry a crop.

Grandevo, Venerate and beneficial mites have worked very well for me and others in the past.

I'm telling him to spray the empty room down, not plants.

Either way, I've never 'fried' plants with JMS, and I sprayed it every 4 days for a few months. If you had a bad experience with it you either turned the lights on before the plants dried or accidentally combined the JMS with a previously applied sulfur product.

Trich_Tyson

I used JMS very regularly when I got PM. Worked really well. And the only thing it burnt was pistils. As expected.
Was using it real strong too

redlaser

Veteran
I like stylet oil for lots of plants, but last year I tried it on a couple unrelated five foot pot plants and it caused the new growth to die back.

It was at the 1oz per gal rate.

Recently I’ve used 1tsp per gal rate on some spider mites that has been working well

beta

Veteran
I like stylet oil for lots of plants, but last year I tried it on a couple unrelated five foot pot plants and it caused the new growth to die back.

It was at the 1oz per gal rate.

Recently I’ve used 1tsp per gal rate on some spider mites that has been working well

I have always used it at a 2oz per gallon rate on everything from my cloner to full grown plants and have never had problems. If you had new growth die back I suspect you had the same problem other people did - You combined it with a product containing sulfur. Any oil based product cannot be used within 2 weeks of any product containing sulfur or they will react and cause all kinds of damage. Lots of products you wouldn't suspect contain sulfur, check the label.

redlaser

Veteran
I have always used it at a 2oz per gallon rate on everything from my cloner to full grown plants and have never had problems. If you had new growth die back I suspect you had the same problem other people did - You combined it with a product containing sulfur. Any oil based product cannot be used within 2 weeks of any product containing sulfur or they will react and cause all kinds of damage. Lots of products you wouldn't suspect contain sulfur, check the label.

I’m not really sure why those plants had the reaction that they did, since 1oz per gal was a lower end rate to be using. I am aware of the sulPhur conflict, and those plants had not been treated with anything prior to the oil treatment.

If nothing else, it was worth the temporary setback to find out that 1/3-1/6 of the recommended rate is effective still.

Trich_Tyson

I could just be lucky. But I don’t use oil for two weeks after a burn. But I can burn a day after an oil spray. FWIW.

The Joker1

I looked it up and found no definitive answer. I found anecdotal information , but nothing to substantiate. Females can overwinter inside plants and then re emerge to lay between 15-50 eggs. That's how they keep reappearing and it's so important to just keep spraying.

But if you have vacuumed and sprayed everything with a 10% bleach solution several times, painted etc. you should be ok. I soak my pots whether fabric or plastic in bleach after use and before I use them again.
I've switched from fabric geopots back to plastic because of the cleaning issues for now.

I've been using the JMS every 7 days and Lost Coast Plant Therapy every 4 days, especially on the clones which have rooted and look much better than the moms. Logically , it should be easier to keep 4 inch plants free of bugs than large ones.

Going the same route as you, new clone moms go to a clean area. Old area gets sterilized with bleach and new paint. Then it lays empty for at least 30 days with repeated bleach applications. I'm thinking of throwing some seedlings in just to see if they show symptoms while the moms stay safe.

igrowone

Veteran
one thought on the matter, not something i've done but might work
use systemic pesticides on a throw away crop
basically poison some hemp plants, they won't be consumed so no worries about pesticide levels

How bad are clover mites I found one crawling on the outside of one of my pots these things just look like normal spiders since there so much bigger than normal spider mites you can easily see these by the naked eye I found just one and squished it with my hand and it left a red stain so I no it was definitely a clover mite but they look like just a normal small spider .. are these just as bad at attacking plants as normal spider mites or should i not be as worried about it, thanks in advance

beta

Veteran
How bad are clover mites I found one crawling on the outside of one of my pots these things just look like normal spiders since there so much bigger than normal spider mites you can easily see these by the naked eye I found just one and squished it with my hand and it left a red stain so I no it was definitely a clover mite but they look like just a normal small spider .. are these just as bad at attacking plants as normal spider mites or should i not be as worried about it, thanks in advance

Clover mites are not a cannabis pest, but even if they were this is not the thread to discuss them. Search for an existing thread or start a new one, but don't clog up other threads with unrelated conversation.

Clover mites are not a cannabis pest, but even if they were this is not the thread to discuss them. Search for an existing thread or start a new one, but don't clog up other threads with unrelated conversation.

Sorry I just thought you guys might no something about them or could help me out since this thread was about a different kind of mites...

wazzer

I caught one on the leaf by accident by the naked eye after a couple years putting up with this shit now got proof by the time I got the scope out she was gone it was round translucent in colour I caught her towards the top of the plant and that’s where my defiency starts new growth stunted droppy thin leaves magnesium and calcium deficiency I’m leaning toward hemp russet clymen mite are more long maggot type broad mite are more white I took a photo on my phone just don’t know how to up load photos on here any tips would be appreciated.

beta

Veteran
I caught one on the leaf by accident by the naked eye after a couple years putting up with this shit now got proof by the time I got the scope out she was gone it was round translucent in colour I caught her towards the top of the plant and that’s where my defiency starts new growth stunted droppy thin leaves magnesium and calcium deficiency I’m leaning toward hemp russet clymen mite are more long maggot type broad mite are more white I took a photo on my phone just don’t know how to up load photos on here any tips would be appreciated.

It is 100% impossible to see Hemp Russet Mites or Broad Mites or Cyclamen Mites with the naked eye.

satisfiedwolf

Wazzer, you may have seen a western flower thrip. Good news is imo they are a much easier pest to deal with than HRM. There is a good thread about them in the infirmary. Good luck

satisfiedwolf

May be some other type of thrip too as there are thousands of varieties of them and you are pretty far away from where I have seen them.

superjet

picture.php
fuck me I couldn't believe it! at first I thought my Larry mom was sick, because after a routine trim she developed what looked to the naked eye as some sort of light brown fungus growing right at the site of the cuts (yeah too late!). I haven't had anything other than gnats in the last 10 years and after taking a cut from a friend I picked this shit up. now here in Nevada to add to the list. I had to toss everything that showed anything visual, which was everything but one new Glue mom. I hit her once every 3 days 3 times with Avid and no mites. I will be doing the Azamax drench and foliar in veg as a routine from now on. this hand held microscope is the best I've tried so far and will be a part of my new routine.