What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is this Bug? Pics inside

attachment.php

Can anyone Identify this bug?

I've had problems dealing with root aphids so I was inspecting the roots while transplanting and I saw this mini centipede looking thing in the root ball. No idea what it is, pretty sure it's not a root aphid. I few days ago I also saw a green bug looking thing in the roots as well. I was assuming it was a part of the root aphid life cycle but now I'm thinking I have another bug of some sort. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 15
Wow looks just like a centipide never seen anything like that before. Is it moving? It looks like exactly the same color/diameter as the roots so if it's not moving it could be a piece of root that broke off and looks strangely like a centipide. Not trying to be funny or nothing and I agree it does look like a mini centepede.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
View Image

Can anyone Identify this bug?

I've had problems dealing with root aphids so I was inspecting the roots while transplanting and I saw this mini centipede looking thing in the root ball. No idea what it is, pretty sure it's not a root aphid. I few days ago I also saw a green bug looking thing in the roots as well. I was assuming it was a part of the root aphid life cycle but now I'm thinking I have another bug of some sort. Anyone have any idea?

looks like a baby centipede similar to this one in picture but cannot see the feelers on its napper in your picture

attachment.php
attachment.php

After inspecting your photo more closely I can see the feelers or at least I think I can, I was looking at it top to bottom but after looking again its bottom to top before I saw them, baby centipede imho. maybes one of the more experienced will chime in all the best either way.

Attachments

• DQ60R0U0Z0P0S0SQJRLQTQE0TQX0JQM0URM0FQJKFQ3KDQX0VR80K0N0Z0KQQ090YRIQ00P0TQX0.jpg
    DQ60R0U0Z0P0S0SQJRLQTQE0TQX0JQM0URM0FQJKFQ3KDQX0VR80K0N0Z0KQQ090YRIQ00P0TQX0.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 21
looks like a baby centipede similar to this one in picture but cannot see the feelers on its napper in your picture

View Image View Image

After inspecting your photo more closely I can see the feelers or at least I think I can, I was looking at it top to bottom but after looking again its bottom to top before I saw them, baby centipede imho. maybes one of the more experienced will chime in all the best either way.

Yeah I see it now both pics look the same and your right I see the feelers in his pic at the 6 o'clock position. I've never encountered centipedes in any soil that I used or if I had them I never noticed. Pretty sure all centipide species are carnivores so can't see it hurting anything and maybe is even beneficial for hunting down soil born pests.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Okay so if it is a centipede, those eat other bugs, it might be good to keep around. But if it's the other thing a millipede, those are herbivorous and will eat the plant roots. It appears to only have 1 set of legs per segment, which means it is a centipede. I might just be stoned though :) But I think it is a centipede.
Y9sy3Ia.jpg

Wow looks just like a centipide never seen anything like that before. Is it moving? It looks like exactly the same color/diameter as the roots so if it's not moving it could be a piece of root that broke off and looks strangely like a centipide. Not trying to be funny or nothing and I agree it does look like a mini centepede.

Definitely moving. I had seen one before but it quickly tucked itself back away into the root zone. This guy was cruising along the surface and I just had enough time to pull out my phone and snap a pic before he disappeared.

Also definitely had feelers like a centipede or a millipede. The legs look a lot more centipede like so if it is just that then like someone said it could actually be beneficial.

This is weird, I thought for sure someone was going to point it out as some catastrophic bug but it could in the end be feeding on the root aphids and helping out.

Definitely moving. I had seen one before but it quickly tucked itself back away into the root zone. This guy was cruising along the surface and I just had enough time to pull out my phone and snap a pic before he disappeared.

Also definitely had feelers like a centipede or a millipede. The legs look a lot more centipede like so if it is just that then like someone said it could actually be beneficial.

This is weird, I thought for sure someone was going to point it out as some catastrophic bug but it could in the end be feeding on the root aphids and helping out.

Nah you're golden it's definitely a centipede keeping guard in the root zone. It's completely identical to the pics darksider and agent pothead posted of centipedes and looks nothing like a millipede. I'm not even sure millipedes would be a major issue seems they only eat decaying dead plant matter from the sound of things. Even if they did eat live roots which I doubt it's clearly a centipede. You took a pretty good pic so it's easy to see its legs and it has the long antennae typical of centipedes. You can rest easy about this one man

Not a centipede, but a relative. Symphylan

They are not friendly to Cannabis plants.

https://www.growingproduce.com/vegetables/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-garden-symphylan/

Holy crap I've never heard of those before but seeing the pic in that link looks like you're spot on buzz. You're depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me brother. Wonder what you have to use to get rid of them. I hope they don't live in perlite and hydroton.:shucks: From reading that second link doesn't look like they would. Damn sorry sheik doesn't look like you're in the clear after all not sure how you get rid of these buggers but I'd suggest ditching your current mediums for sure.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well fuck that was an emotional rollercoaster. buzzmobile looks to be correct on this one for sure, that picture matches 100%. Wiki says A species of Symphylella has been shown to be predominantly predatory, hopefully you got that one and not the other 199 species that eat root hairs :D

buzzmobile

Veteran
A soil drench is about the only way to control them in containers. Evergreen Pyrethrum Concentrate Garden symphylans are listed on the label but soil drench directions are not. Search evergreen pyrethrum soil drench and decide which amount suits your need.

A soil drench is about the only way to control them in containers. Evergreen Pyrethrum Concentrate Garden symphylans are listed on the label but soil drench directions are not. Search evergreen pyrethrum soil drench and decide which amount suits your need.

I read about that too last night but fell asleep before I could post about it. Also saw that tilling the soil after the plants are gone will cut down on the population. Maybe use the soil drench for now and after their done till the hell out of any soil you want to reuse and then drench it again with pyrethrum. Good luck sheik

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm not well versed in bugs....a bug is a bug to me I don't want them on my plants. Unless it's ladybugs there just bugs. But maybe my old ways need to learn to help buy the rt stuff to spray on them.

So anybody know what exactly this is??? Help would be greatly appriciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
That appears to be a leafhopper of some sort I think? Have you noticed any damage on the plant? They suck the sap for moisture. I think you can combat with spinosad or neem oil, but I also think both of those are frowned upon. Hopefully somebody with more experience can help ya out wvkindbud.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea it's just a seedling I put out from bagseeds to test insecticides on before I put my other plants out. I left it out one night and it rained and it's got overwatered badly. This pic is a week ago before I sprayed some Organicide on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 15

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I got several things at Walmart to use for bugs and things....
Used this a week ago it got rid of that leafhopper or whatever it is. I'm curious if it will work on a bigger plant....first time using

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'd be careful using that on a plant that is farther along, especially anything in veg. The main ingredient appears to be sesame oils and fish oils. Great for things you can rinse off before you consume, like fruits and vegetables, not so great for things you will be combusting and inhaling. Their official webpage only mentions marijuana use as a soil drench. It should be okay since that plant is just starting off, but I wouldn't use it during veg.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'd be careful using that on a plant that is farther along, especially anything in veg. The main ingredient appears to be sesame oils and fish oils. Great for things you can rinse off before you consume, like fruits and vegetables, not so great for things you will be combusting and inhaling. Their official webpage only mentions marijuana use as a soil drench. It should be okay since that plant is just starting off, but I wouldn't use it during veg.

Thanks a lot I didn't figure this stuff from Walmart would be any good. I do have some neem oil from there too I might try. I'll probably cull that seedlings later on.....it's good to test with.....thanks a lot for the info. I got azamax I plan to use on my good strains....any other suggestions??

Seed destroying Symphylans (garden centipedes/ pseudocentipedes)

Seed destroying Symphylans (garden centipedes/ pseudocentipedes)

Not a centipede, but a relative. Symphylan

They are not friendly to Cannabis plants.

https://www.growingproduce.com/vegetables/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-garden-symphylan/

Thanks buzzmobile! that is exactly what they are.

I have been having a hard time germinating and keeping seedlings alive lately. Dug up some seeds that were germinated straight into coco and found these jimbronies crawling all over the them.

I have a microscope video of them crawling all over, but I dont know how to safely post that.

I cracked one of the seeds open, and there were tiny clear worm like things crawling around inside, which my best guess are nematodes.

Current plan is to toss this batch of coco, and start some fresh seeds next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts