What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

****PET PHOTO CONTEST II****

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James-Bong

i have a Orange Tabby Female.... Did you know that 90% of orange cats are Male?

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
[ I think James must get scratched an awful lot checking for orange cat gender.] :yoinks:

G

No, 90% of orange cats are not male; that's an old wives tale. The colony of cats I've been working with over the last several years are almost all orange, and it's the normal mix - a bit over half are male and the rest female. I currently have 9 orange females and 10 orange males.

G

I always keep a Red Tabby, and they have always been males, but that is due to my preference :D I have had many, many orange kitties... I have always found tabby cats to be so good natured...

Hey ambre, what about callico cats? I heard something about they're all males or something... Let's get to the bottom of that myth ambre... sorry to go off topic, but dammit I've heard that a lot! Need an authority to debunk or confirm this before my head explodes. Peace.

G

L2G - Calico and Tortoiseshell cats (tri-color cats) are always female. There are very rare instances of males, but those are always sterile.

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
Okay, I'm lost here....ambre, how do they reproduce then? LOL Do you mean Calico's and Tortoiseshell cats (tri-color cats) are the result of another breed of male cat?

>>>hope I explained that right.....LOL

:friends:
dg

G

ok here's some of what I found on this..

http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatMyths.htm

All calico (tortoiseshell) cats are female

No, while the vast majority of calico cats are female, there is the occasional male. However, virtually all of these males are sterile. the calico colour is sex linked. For a cat to be calico it must have two X chromosomes ergo the cat is female. In rare instances however a male calico will be produced. This usually happens because the cat has an extra chromosome. So, instead of him being XY, he is XXY. These cats are known as Kleinfelter males.

* Approximately 1-3,000 calico's are male & out of those only 1-10,000 are fertile.

All orange cats are male

No, it is possible to have an orange female. Unlike the orange male, who only needs one copy of the O gene to produce an orange coat, the female requires the O to be on both chromosomes. If she has only one O, the resulting coat colour will be calico.

Last edited:
G

DG- Actually, calicos & torties aren't breeds; they are coloring. Most of them come from regular tabby cats (in the black/tawny colors or orange colors) or bi-color parents (I have several cats that are white and orange - a black male combined with a white/orange female could produce a calico). The genetic combination of, for instance, an orange tabby (orange/tawny) and a black/tawny male can make a tortoiseshell.

I have a stunning tortoiseshell who has grey fur instead of black, so she's orange/tawny/grey instead of orange/tawny/black. This isn't the best pic of Pewter since the flash reflected from her eyes, but you can see her colors

Secret Room

Here is a picture of my pet she is the blond one, the grulla is her pasture buddy. They like hanging out under the trees during the day & later in the afternoon they go in to eat and sleep. What a life they have it good.I will get a picture of Captain my kitty he should be showing up tonight or in the morning.

Last edited:

Dutchgrown

----
Veteran
ambre: Thanks for clearing that up...that makes sense now. I had a tortoiseshell
male but after reading your info I think I got ripped by the vet....cause when I
adopted him I had to have him neutered as a condition of the adoption. So the
vet neutered a sterile cat :yoinks: ....and charged me for it! :bat: That must
be common practice cause vets figure most people don't know about that.

Thanks for the info!

:dance:
dg

J

James-Bong

Im not a expert by no means, but most of the orange cats ive seen are male...

G

Pet Contest 2

Pet Contest 2

DG You stated we could have mutiple shots, Thats wonderful because ooh half my pictures consist of right at 2 gig worth of my pets.
Here is another. They are waiting for the snack they get after dinner!
As if iether needs it!
But its a raw hide chewy and they wont go away untill they get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts