What's new

Auto vs photo

Bdennis87

Hello, I just looking to get your personal opinion on auto vs photo when growing..
also are bottled nutrients like foxfarm okay for plants?

-new grower, thanks in advance!!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wouldn't run auto's indoors. They're generally auto versions of existing photo plants. The auto genes come from a plant that generally offers that one good trait and anything else adopted from it is less desirable than those of the decent photo plant you tried to make automatic. Really the auto genes are for outdoor growing where you want a different finish time to what the photo's have.

It really just brings problems. With a photo it is you that gets to make the decisions about how big it is when it flowers. Most of us see that establishing a plant before flowering it is very important. Also that we want all our plants to flower at the same time, as we grow in batches. A plant that does its own thing and will flower off at the mere sight of stress on the horizon is a pain.

While there are going to be many people with different feeling on the subject, the overwhelming opinion will be to choose photo's

MallardDuck

I run autos outside because I live at 55N and photoperiods are always a toss up whether they will finish in time before the bad weather hits. But if I had an indoor tent no question I would run photos far all the reasons f-m said.