What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Want to make a million $$$? Invent an Elevated Mothball Holder

Treevly

Mothballs keep critters away from plants, but rain is hard on mothballs. What I need is a device something like a bottoe cap, say, with a roof over top, rather like a mushroom cap. The sides should be open to let the smell out, and the bottom part and the mushroom cap should be connected with little arms of plastic, metal, or whatever. If the device is elevated by means of a stake or large pin, like a golf tee, so much the better. You get to the spot, pull out the device, pop in half a mothball, and stick the point into the ground.

If any of you mechanical types can do this, I have advance orders for millions of them. :smoky:

troutman

Seed Whore
Put your mothballs inside a bird feeder. Cover the bird feeder with a plastic bag to
keep rain off of it. Suspend the bird feeder and the vapors will rain down over time.

Now hand over my $1,000,000. :laughing:

Big M

How about cutting some slits in a pop bottle, say two across from each other near the bottom, and two in the middle. Heat gently around the slits, push in above the slit and pull out below the slit, so when you turn the bottle upside down, the hole has a roof over it. Heat a large nail and push it through the bottle cap from the inside, and now you have a stake too. Maybe make a drain hole somewhere. Never thought of using mothballs outside. What kind of coverage do you get with them? How many do you use/how far apart?

Cvh

Supermod
As Troutman said, use a bird feeder. Look around for a design that pleases you.

38175R_zoom.jpg

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
There has to be a better way than Naphthalene to keep stuff off your plants! I think I could 3d print something that would work, but a bird house does sound like the best idea for that, but I really don't think you are supposed to put Naphthalene near plants if you intend to consume them.

Treevly

Thanks for those replies. No funds will be allotted yet.

Bird feeder.. I was thinking of something 3 or 4 inches tall for near ground level. Deer & coyotes, mostly the latter. Once the plants get to 2 feet tall or more, they are mostly unmolested. The balls are kept away from the actual holes, sitting maybe a foot away from the stalk, on 2 sides.

Treevly

Never thought of using mothballs outside. What kind of coverage do you get with them? How many do you use/how far apart?

1/2 ball 6 inches away from the dirt hole, another likewise on the opposite side, in bottle caps. If it rains, that's a problem, which is why I am looking for a creative idea. :artist:

I may step it up to 3 per hole. I think it works, for the most part.

Where I live, deer are as bad as they get about eating up gardens and especially weed plants. When I was guerilla growing, 20+ years ago, I had entire plants mowed to the ground by deer when they were small. I tried mothballs and they never did anything for me.

Treevly

I have not had much bad luck with deer, and they are certainly in the immediate area. I put down mothballs, black pepper, chilli pepper, garlic, coffee, and slug bait. In one spot I did not take all those precautions because I thought it safe. A coyote dug out two desirable plants - and left a turd in the dirt hole !!!

I'm tempted to buy some coyote land mines.

saluki

ICMag Donor
The coyote dug them out and dragged them away or ingested them? Or just dug them out for fun?

I have seen dogs and cats eat vegetation sometimes possibly because they are having digestive issues, very interesting.

Cvh

Supermod
What fertilizer did you use where the Coyote dug out the plants?
Fish, blood and or bone based perhaps?

I heard from other American growers that you need to watch out with those types of fertilizer or that it might attract big predators who then go digging to try to find what they smell.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have not had much bad luck with deer, and they are certainly in the immediate area. I put down mothballs, black pepper, chilli pepper, garlic, coffee, and slug bait. In one spot I did not take all those precautions because I thought it safe. A coyote dug out two desirable plants - and left a turd in the dirt hole !!!

I'm tempted to buy some coyote land mines.
Ya need to enlist Bill Murray to help you out :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
What fertilizer did you use where the Coyote dug out the plants?
Fish, blood and or bone based perhaps?

I heard from other American growers that you need to watch out with those types of fertilizer or that it might attract big predators who then go digging to try to find what they smell.
I've hear that blood meal is a guilty culprit (not necessarily cannabis related)

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hehehe millions to be made in the makeshift mothball holder business?
Nice, enjoy the high, I'm blasted as well. Wake and baaake.
All the best and I hope the business takes off!!!

Ultrasonic deterrents work quite nicely with all mammals, but not insects...
I heard of some cinnamon spray that keeps insects away without leaving any nasty residue and toxic traces apparently... Or just have a dog who watches the plants for a job.
All the best,

CC

CC

Treevly

I'm hip to the blood-bone-fish thing. Coyotes taught me that lesson a long time ago. I'm a sheep pooh person, or goat, but that has been hard to find recently. Also I'm not above using inorganic stuff.

I think I've figured out a device. It requires a golf tee, a think stick or stiff wire taller than the tee when installed, and a small pill bottle or similar. Insert tee into ground, place MB on tee, put stick/wire alongside tee, put pill bottle over top. Adjust height. Pill bottle covers the MB and sits high enough that the smell escapes in the 1 or 2 inches between the bottom of the bottle and the ground.

[* I've written a patent application, so if anyone wants to try this idea without my written permission, you'd better get a lawyer.]

you could cut a globular christmas ornament in half, tape a mothball inside
or fashion your own w plastic easter eggs and pipe cleaners

then hang them in and about your plants given the vapors from the mothballs don't affect your harvest in any way

for smaller easier mothball dispersal among your plants

good luck op

Treevly

I've contacted Johnson & Johnson and Dow Chemical to see if either one would be interested in entering into a partnership to manufacture these kits on a massive scale.

Yamaha FG-840

Why not poke a hole in a bottle cap and put a wire or loop of string through it, then put the moth ball into the bottle cap, with a daub of glue, and hang that from a limb? Seems like you could very easily figure out how to keep the mothball in the cap.

Something else, too. You might consider, cutting off the top of a bottle an inch or two below the lid, and keep the two screwed together.

Then, you have the neck of the bottle dropping down a couple of inches before it flares out and this shape is just designed, for shedding rain.

You can also paint them so the sun doesn't reflect off them.

You can also put several mothballs into the neck of a bottle, and

secure them there fairly easily, when you can't do that, with the bottle cap only.

Any kind of trick to suspend some moth balls in the neck of the bottle, above where it flared out to make the shoulders of it, would have things going fine.

You could just screw a couple of drywall screws across the neck of the bottle so the mothballs couldn't fall out.

You could put a piece of window screen cut into a circle, down into the bottle neck on the inside, then tag that with several dots of hot glue to suspend the mothballs too.

Just thoughts since you mentioned bottle caps.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm hip to the blood-bone-fish thing. Coyotes taught me that lesson a long time ago. I'm a sheep pooh person, or goat, but that has been hard to find recently. Also I'm not above using inorganic stuff.

I think I've figured out a device. It requires a golf tee, a think stick or stiff wire taller than the tee when installed, and a small pill bottle or similar. Insert tee into ground, place MB on tee, put stick/wire alongside tee, put pill bottle over top. Adjust height. Pill bottle covers the MB and sits high enough that the smell escapes in the 1 or 2 inches between the bottom of the bottle and the ground.

[* I've written a patent application, so if anyone wants to try this idea without my written permission, you'd better get a lawyer.]

LOL, ROTFL! Once you make it a public statement, it is no longer intellectual property! Read up on it!