What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help reading trichomes

Kazue00

Hey everyone. Everytime I find a bunch of conflicting info on the web I come here and yall always clear it up for me, so I'm back. I got a strawberry cheesecake auto from seedman. Shows 10 week from seed to harvest. My gal is exactly 10 weeks today. I think her triche are all cloudy. Originally I was planning to wait until I saw amber but now I'm reading some autos never even turn amber! And that some do and some this and some that. Like usual hard to find a straight answer . I get it though, so many strains and every plant is different. I've attached a picture of the top of main cola under magnification. I apologize about the grow light, I'm growing in a space tote and I'm having a hard time getting a good picture without the grow light on.
Grow info just in case:
Week 10
Auto
Coco coir
FF Nutes
About half of pistils have changed color

Thanks in advance everyone

Attachments

• 20191228_163137.jpg
    20191228_163137.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 55

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
show picture about the whole plant, trichomes are tricky sometimes.. some will turn to gold/amber but some will remain platinum/ silver coated ... others are called whites for some reason....

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not true! I've had 2 different strains senescence on me, waiting for amber trichs. The "whole" plant is a better "tell all" vs just amber trichs.

True and agree whole heartedly w/ I'mback! Look at overall plant. Top 1/3 may be ready, bottom half due to light restriction still a week or 2 from chopping. Do it in segments. Take a bud- fast dry and smoke it. Is it ready or wait.

Clear glass-like trichomes are immature, while amber indicates the THC is beginning to degrade. Generally, more sativa leaning strains should be harvested with a mix of clear and milky resin heads to ensure an uplifting euphoric high. While indica leaning strains are best harvested with a mix of milky and amber trichs, perhaps even mostly amber trichs. The more amber the more sedative and couchlocking the effect as THC converts to CBN. It’s really a matter of taste as is the case with most things cannabis.

Attachments

• when-to-harvest_1_1.jpg
    when-to-harvest_1_1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 59
  • sesence.jpg
    sesence.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 62

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Trikes can be at different stages on different parts of the plant. I like to sample the best looking buds.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I heard on a podcast someone say that when the trichomes start to amber that it is actually caused by certain terpenes maturing and oxidizing the skin orcoating of the trichome.
This is the first I heard of this. I had always heard that it was caused by THC degrading into CBN.
I think it they said they tested cannabinoid levels from buds off the same plant. They found the amber trichomed buds didn't have higher CBN levels than it's milky counterpart. Just terpene ratios were different.

Could be just like every other trait, strain dependant

Latest posts

Latest posts