What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Handmade Knives

H.Stoner

DUDE IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT I SPENT over an hour checking out http://zknives.com/index.shtml and other various sites like AAPK and the site knife nerds because u spoke on metallurgically the same so far as stock removal and forged. i learned more than i knew before.

i considered knife making but will stick to stuff i can do without learning a whole ton of shit that will be painful for me to employ. that and i'm a knife admirer and tactical user that hope i don't have to put blood on my carry piece lol.

i've got the sypderco sharp maker and will by a multi stone eventually to do freehand stuff. like we used to use in the marines and kitchens in civilian rest's. good part is most of my knives are sharp from the maker or seller and i don't cut shit with them at all. i tell folks no you can't use my knife to do that, my knives are for flesh. they get the picture when i give them that look lol.

my small collection is just sitting with safe kings not many queens. i'll sell a couple to buy a scooter most likely. at least i will use the scooter cause i don't even see my knives/handle them usually. Yes, i know many who use their expensive knives but i don't.
i have used my reate at $200 to cut boxes down and frankly i was shocked i chose to do that. but only did it once or twice . i use a cheap kitchen knife now.

hell i have a nice japanese gyuto i've only used in the kitchen 3 times. it feels like a magic want actually. and for the price will beat out many twice/three times the cost. masamoto VG SERIES GYUTO APPROX 9.5" . nope i can't type a caps ninja follows me always. \

my fave blades are balisongs and tanto style blade profiles. went back to blade foreums not long ago but i don't hang out and wait like i used to to catch a knife before somebody else gets it. it was an exhilarating yet frustrating hunt most of the time. but very fun too in a nerve wrecking kind of way. i gave up on the BM42 because i scored my grail weehawk balisong and then a BM42 popped up at below the price gouging assholes that sell them higher. ha

i couldn't even recall the name of my gyuto took me awhile to google it lol. my recall sucks.

flat grind thank you thank you . i hate to see a knife that's hollow ground because it's easier to do but doesn't suit the intended use as well. smdh imho

kaochiu

Veteran
Fantastic knives, Knifemaker420, I'm envious! wish I'd have that skill. Got a little workshop for reparing tools and stuff in the farm I live. There's an old unused coal forge, but not even an anvil or any proper tools to have a try. This thread makes me feel a bit guilty for not trying harder.
So far I've been using a Taramundi knife all my life, replaced every now and then. Taramundi is a tiny village up north in the spanish mountains in where they've been doing these knives for more generations than memory recall. I've seen them in a site called bladeforums, from the basic ones to true jewels, or just google "Taramundi knives". Some people compare them with Opinels, but I think they're years light both in performance and elegance. They're sharp as razors, sturdy as axes. As for handy, I call mine "the eleventh finger".