What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1860 No Pleasure Can Exceed The Smoking Of The Weed Token

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very very rarely do these become available and as you can imagine get spirited bidding. I plan to consign the following to Stacks Bowers auctions soon. Thought you all would like to see before it goes bye bye. I have only seen one other example in the last 10 years at auction!
http://www.usrarecoininvestments.co...f-the-weed-ngc-unc-details-7791006_5725_d.htm

5f60d_1860_Smoke_Weed_Token_NGC_UncDtls_7791006_l.jpg

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Well I liked it more before I clinked the link and realized it was a tribute to tobacco and not cannabis lol.
Still an interesting bit of history for sure.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This very cool token is now available for sale at auction at greatcollections.com , https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...-NY-M-NY-426-JNT-Levick-Token-NGC-Unc-Details

Good luck with your bidding, I'm not sure if it's going or not before the holdays and FUN ( Florida United Numismatists convention which is the worlds largest coin show along with the ANA. Fla totally blew California out of the water for the title which used to belong to California but in their incredibly sharp government decided to tax tens of thousands of "COIN COLLECTORS" who used to visit that state and then compare with Florida in the beginning of January and zero tax. That was an easy win. Happy bidding :tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This very cool token is now available for sale at auction at greatcollections.com , https://www.greatcollections.com/Co...-NY-M-NY-426-JNT-Levick-Token-NGC-Unc-Details

Good luck with your bidding, I'm not sure if it's going or not before the holdays and FUN ( Florida United Numismatists convention which is the worlds largest coin show along with the ANA. Fla totally blew California out of the water for the title which used to belong to California but in their incredibly sharp government decided to tax tens of thousands of "COIN COLLECTORS" who used to visit that state and then compare with Florida in the beginning of January and zero tax. That was an easy win. Happy bidding :tiphat:
That sounds exactly like California.

Cvh

Supermod
Besides the word weed it has nothing to do with our beloved plant. It's about smoking tobacco.

Please take this in consideration before placing a bid.

https://www.usrarecoininvestments.c...f-the-weed-ngc-unc-details-7791006_5725_d.htm
1860 Levick Smoker Token No Pleasure Can Exceed the Smoking of the Weed - 1860 Levick Smoker Token, M-NY-426, NGC UNC Details. Despite its grading, The Smoker merchant token is an interesting and desirable piece.

The obverse shows a well dressed, happy gentleman smoker half facing left holding a cigar and exhaling a cloud of smoke. At the border is the inscription NO PLEASURE CAN EXCEED / THE SMOKING OF THE WEED. (In 1860, “weed” meant tobacco with no other connotation.) The reverse shows crossed pipes above a tobacco or cigar box with the text REGALIAS surmounted by a crown. Above the pipes is the inscription LEVICK 904 BROADWAY NEW YORK in two lines with the date below. The whole is surrounded by a closed wreath of tobacco leaves. There are dentils on both sides of the token. It was struck in silver (the present piece), brass, copper, and white metal.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Cool Token there Mr. Tudo. I want one, but it would be OK if it was a fake that could be carried around. Maybe 1960 instead.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This should be at great collections for sale at auction in the next month or so........ :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts