What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

fellow Bikers I welcome you to the IC mag Automotive forum

N

noyd666

first new harley motor in 15 years.
picture.php
picture.php

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Think I'm gonna sell current bike(2006 FLHP-I stroked to 103 from stock 95" which was stock on cop bikes) and get an FL Softail...the deals on the 2003-06 88" out there are INSANE...everyone lists them for 10k but end up tKing 6-8k$..
The 88s seem small nowadays comparatively but w some cam work you don't even need to go to 95...although I'm sure i will...and they don't have those awful 6 speeds!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's really insane that in 2003 I was selling ...for example...a fat boy...for 25_30k off showroom floor...and people were begging to buy them! Stock!
Then Harley expanded production and we all had to start actually working...that sucked...
And I can't fucking stand these fat fucking back wheels they putting on..
Ah well...break is over...back to watering...

WelderDan

Veteran
My first bike was a Yamaha 125. Then I blew it up. Then I got my hands on a 1958 Triumph 650 tiger. Looked EXACTLY like the bike Fonzi rode in Happy days. But she was slap worn out and I didn't have the dough to fix her.

Then my friend, a wannabe motorcycle mechanic sold me his Honda SL 350. The dumb ass put two timing chains in it and broke both of them. I told him I'd buy the bike under the condition I helped install the timing chain. I suspected he was doing something wrong.

We replaced the timing chain and I gave him $200 and drove it home. The dumb ass had a vice grip for a shifter, the clutch didn't work and the kick start was stripped out.

I fixed the kicker, fixed the shifter (kept the vice grips too) and took the clutch apart and re-assembled it correctly. Everything worked like a champ. After two weeks, I loosened the timing chain tension adjuster, and it made a nice satisfying click. The dumb ass didn't know that new chains stretch and you have to re-adjust them after a break in period. I then locked it down and went to my buddy to show it off.

After I showed him how I fixed all his screw ups (except the timing chain, I never told him about that), he was sorta pissed he sold it to me. But he had to make sure he told me it had already broke two new timing chains and this one would break any day now.

I rode the crap out of the thing for two years and never had an issue with the timing chain. And I never bothered to tell him why he kept breaking timing chains, while it never gave me a problem.

My next bike was a 1979 Triumph Bonneville 750. It was my only transpo, and when winter hit, I sold it after stalling it at a red light because my hand was too cold to pull in the clutch. Sold it and bought a car with a heater!

Then kids happened and the hot rods and motorcycles had to go.

But the urge never left, and in 2000 I bought the Shovel head. She was Battleship gray, had the sorriest, most uncomfortable seat you ever saw, and the guy constantly over filled the tanks so the gas had eaten off some letters and it said "arley avidson. The front brakes didn't work. The guy actually said "Oh, I never use the front brakes. Front brakes are dangerous, they'll kill you." Christ what stupidity.

The only things original left is the frame, oil bag, back fender, back wheel, front lowers and the risers.

But she runs like stink and many a Evo and Twin Cam rider has seen what the ass end of a Shovel looks like after thinking the old girl was easy pickings.

I really need to fix the electric start though. She kicked back on me after setting a while I thought it broke my leg for a minute. Plus it's just too damn hot to be kicking that big bitch!

jesbuds

Back on a Versys and been enjoying some nice riding in the hills.
pw7Euhj.jpg

Need to do some light maintenance work on her but damn if I don't want to take anything apart on these nice days we're still getting. Plus only ~9.5k miles on it, still basically new in my mind.

Fun bikes, bit tall for those vertically challenged but very fun, easy to handle, very nimble, easy 50-53mpg even while having fun and lots of available accessories (plus they are pretty damn cheap bikes for what you get). Damn if I didn't already break one of my side rack studs that helps hold the panniers though, friggen things are made of plastic.

N

noyd666

went for a dive into mine shaft, fella came out ok, bike took 5 hrs to retrieve , started and rode off. ktm.
picture.php

jesbuds

I previously never really held the theory that "loud pipes save lives" BUT I have used my exhaust noise in place of a horn and most definitely worked. Was in the middle of shifting with the clutch in, guy beside me started to merge into my lane without seeing me. Was faster to rev my bike than hit the horn (my bike's probably louder than my horn too when doing that) and made him swerve back into his lane.

Sometimes I'll purposefully keep my RPMs a bit higher while in traffic as well just so I make more noise. Sounds silly to some but that little bit of noise might be enough to get noticed and being noticed is the hardest part on a bike.

So while people in cars may bitch about loud pipes, I'll keep doing whatever I need to to be seen. It feels like almost a constant fight with cars trying to hit me while on a bike and they have this nice thing called a crumple zone that I don't.

7thson

I hate loud pipes,I've seen people almost hit with loud pipes,so I guess it didn't help.I think it's pretty rude to be waking people up with this loud crap.

The only thing a loud pipe makes me want to do is hit you,not with my car.I wouldn't actually hit someone.

I will say this though,if it saves one life,it's worth it.

Last edited:
N

noyd666

just love waking up at three in the morning or what ever to a pack of loud bikes flying up the hill from me, beats barking dogs and shitty people.when it gets wet the young tackers get on the concrete pad at the servo and flat out circle time is on. wakes a lot up. but I just love it, that's life.

Brother Nature

The only thing a loud pipe makes me want to do is hit you,not with my car.

That's a bit rough mate. No issues with you expressing your opinion, that's the great thing about the world, all our little differences. Threatening violence cause something annoys you is a little over the top in my mind though.

I love the sound of a large displacement bike at anytime, reminds me I'm a biker. We have enough to deal with on a daily basis while riding, annoying someone with noises that make you very aware we're there is certainly at the back of my mind.

Like the dude says "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion man."

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had her ten years and still get a buzz of her.:)

Last edited:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
I've got a CBR600F3 Repsol colours, had it 6 days before I got my first speeding ticket on it .....knock one tooth off the gearbox sprocket and it'll stay with 'Blades

Latest posts

Latest posts