What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrient strength

ThatDjGuy

Hi, this might be a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere. If i'm using a hydro nutrient that is 20-20-20 and I only mix half the recommended amount in the same amount of water, would it make the mix 10-10-10 or is it still 20-20-20 in a smaller amount?

Thanks.

Carraxe

Veteran
Hi, this might be a stupid question but I can't find the answer anywhere. If i'm using a hydro nutrient that is 20-20-20 and I only mix half the recommended amount in the same amount of water, would it make the mix 10-10-10 or is it still 20-20-20 in a smaller amount?

Thanks.

It is 20-20-20 in concentrated form. Once you dilute, the number reduces as much as you dilute it.

King Rat

it won't make your mix 10-10-10
to make it simple:

if 8ml per gal. of 20-20-20 is the recommended dosage and adding the half of it (4ml) to your mix - its like adding 8ml of 10-10-10

get an EC meter to take out the guesswork

Robinson

it won't make your mix 10-10-10
to make it simple:

if 8ml per gal. of 20-20-20 is the recommended dosage and adding the half of it (4ml) to your mix - its like adding 8ml of 10-10-10

get an EC meter to take out the guesswork

What makes you think that this will make a mixture of 10-10-10? Where does this information come from?

But at the expense of EC meter, I agree, the necessary device that helps to find out what the mixture, not guessing.

T

Teddybrae

So Mr Switcher ... you seem to be saying the higher the numbers the stronger the potion? May I respectfully ask: is that what you are saying?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
No I am saying that if you take a solution of 20-20-20 and double the liquid you have cut the strength to 10-10-10.

Absolem

Thanks.

No. It doesn't make it a 10-10-10

20-20-20 simply means the product contains 20% nitrogen, 20% phosphorous, 20% potassium.

There is no relation between the dosage one uses and the percentage of NPK in fertilizer product other then changing the nutrient strength used.

BongFu

No. It doesn't make it a 10-10-10

20-20-20 simply means the product contains 20% nitrogen, 20% phosphorous, 20% potassium.

There is no relation between the dosage one uses and the percentage of NPK in fertilizer product other then changing the nutrient strength used.

Ah yes there is because that percentage is by volume. I'd perhaps avoid engaging in arguments when more knowledgeable people offer you insight. Otherwise why even ask the question if you have the answer (answer to that is because you do not have the answer, only questions:)

Absolem

Ah yes there is because that percentage is by volume. I'd perhaps avoid engaging in arguments when more knowledgeable people offer you insight. Otherwise why even ask the question if you have the answer (answer to that is because you do not have the answer, only questions:)

Wrong.

The dosage rate on a fertilizer product doesn't make it a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.

Try again.

Last edited:

BongFu

Wrong.

The dosage rate on a fertilizer product doesn't make it a 10-10-10 or 20-20-20.

Try again.

Oh God give me strength!! Read my post... 20-20-20 is %w/w so all that rating tells you is there is 20-20-20 %w/w as K2O and P2O5. How are we going so far? Say though you took 1kg of 20-20-20 and added this to 1kg of water you would actually have a 10-10-10 %w/w fertilizer but it would be an extremely daft way of calculating things and you're working with the wrong units of measurement. Oh and as for this

Yeah nah 20-20-20 is a listing using K as K2O and P as P2O5 so you in fact have 20 - 8.72 - 16.6 N, P and K:biggrin:

Andyo

Veteran
correct

correct

Oh God give me strength!! Read my post... 20-20-20 is %w/w so all that rating tells you is there is 20-20-20 %w/w as K2O and P2O5. How are we going so far? Say though you took 1kg of 20-20-20 and added this to 1kg of water you would actually have a 10-10-10 %w/w fertilizer but it would be an extremely daft way of calculating things and you're working with the wrong units of measurement. Oh and as for this

Yeah nah 20-20-20 is a listing using K as K2O and P as P2O5 so you in fact have 20 - 8.72 - 16.6 N, P and K:biggrin:

You are correct sir.
:woohoo:

BongFu

20/20/20 is simply providing you with a ratio. Mix to the desired ec/ ppm from there .

No 20-20-20 is the percentage weight by weight which is the standard for listing dry fertilisers. Liquids are typically listed as percentage weight by volume. The ratio is actually 1-1-1 or any other matching numbers for that matter as P2O5 and K2O. Seems to be a lot of confusion around this stuff.

BongFu

Oh cause I’m a newbie I can’t edit because technically you are also right because 20-20-20 is also a ratio but better to say 1-1-1 and 20-20-20 as percentage weight by weight. You then can calculate ppm in solution by working with the weight by weight percentages. I think though it’s all getting way to complex for the person who originally asked the question

Latest posts

Latest posts