What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Saving All Open Tabs on all Cascaded Browser Windows

St. Phatty

I'm having trouble managing my library of web pages that are open at any time.

It ends up being a little over 2 screenfulls of Chrome rows, and each row has 2 or 5 or 10 tabbed windows. Maybe altogether 250 tabs in 45 or 50 windows.

I want to condense it - WITHOUT LOSING information that has been organized.

I was hoping if I open maybe 4 browser windows, for example each with 7 tabs, and then Cascade them, I will have "Cascaded Open Browser Windows", trying to remember the Windows 7 command that you get when you right click on the desktop.

Anyway I was hoping if I could organize bite-sized chunks of browser windows, with tabs, on my desktop, there is some software somewhere that will let you turn that collection of URL's & tabs, into one HTML file.

This is sort of like the old Netscape, which let you save bookmarks into a long HTML file.

I'm using Chrome and don't yet like the Chrome bookmarks function for managing a lot of open tabs. It's good for managing 1 or 2 but not 28.

Overall, I think of the mass of information we have as a big Hairball.

That's not original. Marc Andreissen, the guy who wrote Netscape, used to refer to Windows as a Hairball. I use the term to refer to the Terabytes of videos, images, web pages etc. that we end up with after using computers for a few years. It is a hairball.

I need help managing that Hairball. :tiphat:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

PS

Found "Copy All URL's", A Google Chrome Extension.

To set it up you need to be familiar with Google Extensions, which you get to using the "More Tools" link.

I set it up so if I hit "Ctrl U" for any open browser window, even if it has 15 tabs, it copies the URL's for all those tabs to the Clipboard.

Then it's easy to paste the URL's into a web editor, or just a text editor, and BINGO !! Another web page with links to all the tabs you just had open.

I feel like the Keymaker in the Matrix trying to find straightforward ways to keep track of all my Hairball. :peacock:

St. Phatty

Ah man, you must be chewing through memory with that much open, especially in Chrome. :D

You could always try an add-in (or extension, can't remember what they're called in Chrome) like this one possibly:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/toomanytabs-for-chrome/amigcgbheognjmfkaieeeadojiibgbdp#

I'd imagine for what you're wanting an add-in would be best as, like you said, Chrome sucks at organizing shit. Good luck mate.

TooManyTabs, that sounds like my Indian name. :tiphat:

Yep, have 32 GB, system is set up for 3D rendering, and a lot of that horsepower goes to just plain web browsing.

I just got a new video card. They have been real expensive because so many of them were used for data mining (Decryption for Dollars.)

Prices finally came down to sea level again. Powercolor 4 GB 570 GPU for $145.

That might help some of the screen jumpiness that happens when the computer's running out of memory.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Start a favorites list? Copy all the web addresses to a notebook and just click and drag when you want them?

Im not much of a computer guy but thats how I do it.

St. Phatty

Start a favorites list? Copy all the web addresses to a notebook and just click and drag when you want them?

Im not much of a computer guy but thats how I do it.

It needs to be easy, or it won't get done.

I've been using that "Copy All URL's" this morning and closing lots of open windows - but saving the URL's.

Fastest mass bookmarking tool I've ever used.

Now I need something that will turn a URL (in text form) into an actual link, in HTML format.

e.g. these 3 links. Of course, ICMag is helpful, I just paste the text of the URL's, and ICMag converts them into links (that work on ICMag.)

https://pixologic.com/zclassroom/lesson/using-tessimate
https://pixologic.com/zclassroom/
https://pixologic.com/zclassroom/lesson/masking