What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

promix to coco having issues

eyes

Veteran
Biggest problem with coco lately for me is the salt content. First rinse produced over 800 tds on the meter. Stay away from Beats Peat Coco block and Black Gold Coco bag.

Beta is right. You need to water with nutrient solution right away. Im at 650 tds with zero burn issues. I do add calmag ever time I water in the nutrient mix.My ph is somewhere around 5.8 or so. No ph meter just the drops and thats my estimation from the color indicator on the bottle. No problems. Everything green and healthy. I do water once a day with nutrient mix. Definately never let that coco dry out. Unlike peat, that need to go through water/dry cycles(not to a point where its totally dry and the plant wilts), coco is the opposite. keep it moist all the time. More frequent waterings the better.

mowood3479

Veteran
Also, I stay away from watering straight water..
I do gh 6/9 (but with botanicare pbp line)
TDS around 600 basically everytime I water/fertigate
A few times a cycle I may give them 1/2 strength solution but that’s as close to straight water as they get.

Ph fluctuates around 6

But a lot of ways to grow good herb, this is just the program I copied of others (primarily gratefulhead, djm, Dhf, ichabbod crane and a few others I can’t recall right now

Grovolution

Coco is a very forgiving media, I have experienced coco holding onto salts if not watered often enough. Check runoff; more frequent feeding with lower EC is much better for this medium. If runoff is high, flush well then charge coco back up with nutrient solution, checking that runoff is damn near same as feed put in top of pots. If coco drys down too much you will mess up cec rate and it will start giving you problems. I'm a dummie but have figured this out. Coco is funny; you can get soil results if fed like soil.
Get hydro results if treated like hydro
Good luck
Trial and error

I get the idea that you can grow a tree in a much smaller pot than compared to soil. Got it. As it happened, when I transplanted into the liter bags from the tiny 2'' pots the plants responded immediently. I also increased feed at that time. I believe that because I didn't properly charge the coco initially (I rinsed well but added no nutes or cal mag) the medium just too unbalanced (cec was fucked up) and being in such small pots the problem was compounded.

With the advice of you all plants are progressing nicely. Roots are growing at an incredible rate and it's nice to be able to see that progress in these nursery bags. Have any of you used them? They are like a lightweight fabric pot. Supposedly you can transplant without removing them from the root ball. So far really digging them. They are super cheap as well. I'll get some photos up of the flouring roots and bags.

Latest posts

Latest posts