What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

do carbon filters go bad if they've been sitting in plastic for like...a decade lol?

I have a literal decade-old carbon filter that has never been used. It's just been sitting in a thin plastic wrap (the top opening is not covered however).

Pitch and buy a Phresh or try to save 200 bucks and give it a go?

One more question...sorry guys I'm brand new (long story on the 10 year old carbon filter lol)...if I should in fact get a new one, where to buy?

I read on amazon etc that Phresh filters are NOT discreet in their shipping. this is a major problem for me.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I wouldn't bin it at this point. Give it a whirl 1st and see if it works. If not, toss it but, I would try it out 1st. I will go out on a limb here and say unless the filter was hermetically sealed, there is a good chance that its filtering capabilities have been reduced.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
it could be damaged by environmental humidity as well

there is method to re-activate it if its capacity is decreased.

Step 1

Let the activated charcoal dry completely if damp from absorbing atmospheric moisture.

Step 2

Heat the oven to 300 degrees F and scatter the charcoal in a single layer on the baking sheet.

Step 3

Set the activated charcoal into the oven for one hour at 300 degrees F to bake out the odors and impurities.

Step 4

Let the activated charcoal cool completely beforeplaced back to its case

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It will have lost some of it's odor binding capacity but since wou have not been blowing smelly, particle laden air through it for a decade it will be fine to operate and as Whipedmeat says, make sure it's dry (probably easiest done by simnply running it for a bit in low humidity if you have that available)
;-) Have fun!

CC

DrLongbottom

Veteran
carbon is an element alex.
since you did nothing to destroy it, its still the same carbon.
it will work fine